The Student Room Group

psychology personal statement

Hi,
I need help with my personal statement! Im planning on doing a course involving psychology and counseling but i have no idea how to start or even write a personal statement. Any help would be great! Thanks
Original post by Megz2389
Hi,
I need help with my personal statement! Im planning on doing a course involving psychology and counseling but i have no idea how to start or even write a personal statement. Any help would be great! Thanks

Hey @Megz2389 :biggrin: Psychology with Counselling is a very vocational course, so you'll want to show some really solid insight in to the programme right from the start of your PS. My advice is to have a think about what *exactly* draws you to a career in this sector- is it because of an interest in human behaviour, a desire to understand the brain, a passion for supporting and promoting the importance of mental health? Or any other reasons? Really have a think about what it means to be a Counsellor and the positive impact it can have on people's lives. Once you've 'checked in' with your passion for the subject area, this should hopefully get you excited to get started and give you lots of good ideas! :smile:

One of my favourite tips when it comes to writing Personal Statements is to do a 'brain dump' of info before you get started. Take a blank sheet of paper and write down everything you've ever done (could be things like a part time job, babysitting, favourite school project, playing piano, being a part of the football team etc...) and what you've gained from it. You'll be able to see all of the things that you can talk about in your statement this way! Then, you'll look to start linking your skills together with key things for the course. For the Psychology and Counselling course you'll be wanting to think of things like showing your empathy, patience and communication skills.

Starting the statement is often the hardest part, but hopefully once you can get all your activities and ideas down and a bit more developed you'll find the start of it could come naturally. There's no harm in starting for the moment with a statement such as "I want to study Psychology and Counselling at university because...." and then if you like- you can go back and jazz it up a bit later.

Hope this helps a bit! :colondollar: Have you decided which universities you're keen to apply to yet?

Best of luck,
Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
There is a guidance thread on psychology PSs here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912 :smile:
Hello

On a Word document or paper jot down things. List some different reasons why you want to do this course. Make a editable list. You can even begin by saying I would like or I want to do this course there is no danger of being ridiculed.
Describe all your activities honestly too and focus on the important skills like teamwork, oral communication, and reading and writing skills. In other words develop your ideas fully. Remember to type in black only it looks more professional. I strongly would also advise you to always check for any mistakes etc as well. Oh and do include things like part time work.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Megz2389 :biggrin: Psychology with Counselling is a very vocational course, so you'll want to show some really solid insight in to the programme right from the start of your PS. My advice is to have a think about what *exactly* draws you to a career in this sector- is it because of an interest in human behaviour, a desire to understand the brain, a passion for supporting and promoting the importance of mental health? Or any other reasons? Really have a think about what it means to be a Counsellor and the positive impact it can have on people's lives. Once you've 'checked in' with your passion for the subject area, this should hopefully get you excited to get started and give you lots of good ideas! :smile:

One of my favourite tips when it comes to writing Personal Statements is to do a 'brain dump' of info before you get started. Take a blank sheet of paper and write down everything you've ever done (could be things like a part time job, babysitting, favourite school project, playing piano, being a part of the football team etc...) and what you've gained from it. You'll be able to see all of the things that you can talk about in your statement this way! Then, you'll look to start linking your skills together with key things for the course. For the Psychology and Counselling course you'll be wanting to think of things like showing your empathy, patience and communication skills.

Starting the statement is often the hardest part, but hopefully once you can get all your activities and ideas down and a bit more developed you'll find the start of it could come naturally. There's no harm in starting for the moment with a statement such as "I want to study Psychology and Counselling at university because...." and then if you like- you can go back and jazz it up a bit later.

Hope this helps a bit! :colondollar: Have you decided which universities you're keen to apply to yet?

Best of luck,
Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so muchh!!!
Reply 5
Thank you all! Im not sure how to start writing it. I dont want to be plain and start with the “i am interested in”...... i dont know where to begin
Original post by Megz2389
Thank you all! Im not sure how to start writing it. I dont want to be plain and start with the “i am interested in”...... i dont know where to begin

Use that as a holding first sentence until you decide what to write instead, or start in the middle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending