The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Modern history or straight history - urgent please help!

So my UCAS application is being sent off at the end of this week, with my personal statement being basically finished. But I still can't decide if I should apply for St Andrews (my first choice) for Modern History or just history. If I do apply for Modern History, St Andrews is the only uni that does that course so all of my other applications will just be History. Should I mention the phrase "modern history" in my personal statement,? Am I more likely to get in if I apply for modern history? I'm so confused please help :frown:
Original post by thepunmaster.e
So my UCAS application is being sent off at the end of this week, with my personal statement being basically finished. But I still can't decide if I should apply for St Andrews (my first choice) for Modern History or just history. If I do apply for Modern History, St Andrews is the only uni that does that course so all of my other applications will just be History. Should I mention the phrase "modern history" in my personal statement,? Am I more likely to get in if I apply for modern history? I'm so confused please help :frown:

ahh i'd say as it's your first choice make your PS suit it perfectly

if you keep mentioning history they may think you've applied to several unis for all different subjects and therefore lose interest

as for what to pick, really have a look into the modules and research each module title. then you can make an informed decision

best of luck x
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I went for modern history as I tend to prefer it! But the joys of St Andrews is that all courses are incredibly flexible, if you get there and you want to take some ‘older’ history then I think you’ll be able to? Try reading your personal statement and decide whether it leans towards a broader sense of history or modern history if you get me. You don’t need to mention modern history as they’re aware that not many unis do specific modern history courses!
Defo look into the modules and see which you prefer. I did struggle between choosing modern history or modern + Middle Eastern studies but the flexibility of courses at St A really helped me.
Apologies if that was just a mess of a ramble but I wish you loads of luck!
Original post by justjas33
I went for modern history as I tend to prefer it! But the joys of St Andrews is that all courses are incredibly flexible, if you get there and you want to take some ‘older’ history then I think you’ll be able to? Try reading your personal statement and decide whether it leans towards a broader sense of history or modern history if you get me. You don’t need to mention modern history as they’re aware that not many unis do specific modern history courses!
Defo look into the modules and see which you prefer. I did struggle between choosing modern history or modern + Middle Eastern studies but the flexibility of courses at St A really helped me.
Apologies if that was just a mess of a ramble but I wish you loads of luck!

Thanks so much, I spoke to my history teacher (who is my UCAS mentor) and she said that I would be fine applying for modern history as I talk about what I've being studying about at advanced higher (which is all 20th century so obviously modern) and Chamberlain. Do you think its alright then that I never explicitly mention modern history? I talk about my love for history a lot but never actually say modern history.
Thanks so much, I spoke to my history teacher (who is my UCAS mentor) and she said that I would be fine applying for modern history as I talk about what I've being studying about at advanced higher (which is all 20th century so obviously modern) and Chamberlain. Do you think its alright then that I never explicitly mention modern history? I talk about my love for history a lot but never actually say modern history.

No worries :smile: I think it should be fine! I didn’t but ofc I haven’t got an offer yet so I’m not tried and tested (so to speak) but when I asked others (teachers) they said it should be fine as modern history is a unique course. What helped me a little was that I was also applying to hispol courses and they tend to focus on modern history - they’re kinda interchangeable - so I managed to say I love and enjoy modern history without explicitly saying ‘modern’ history
Original post by justjas33
No worries :smile: I think it should be fine! I didn’t but ofc I haven’t got an offer yet so I’m not tried and tested (so to speak) but when I asked others (teachers) they said it should be fine as modern history is a unique course. What helped me a little was that I was also applying to hispol courses and they tend to focus on modern history - they’re kinda interchangeable - so I managed to say I love and enjoy modern history without explicitly saying ‘modern’ history

Great thanks its just so stressful! Best of luck!
Great thanks its just so stressful! Best of luck!

No worries! Thanks, you too :smile:

Quick Reply