The Student Room Group

Is this a good car?

Its a Volkswagen Golf mk4 2001 in red, im 21, I have had it since 2018 and its my first car. I have had no problems with it at all and I love it. My girlfriend just makes fun of it though and she roasts me for it because it a 2001 car. My mum and girlfriend tgey both get on well but both laugh at my car saying that I should have a brand new car at my age.

Scroll to see replies

There's a certain deja vu here :colonhash:
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort

??
Reply 3
Original post by Dumb guy
Its a Volkswagen Golf mk4 2001 in red, im 21, I have had it since 2018 and its my first car. I have had no problems with it at all and I love it. My girlfriend just makes fun of it though and she roasts me for it because it a 2001 car. My mum and girlfriend tgey both get on well but both laugh at my car saying that I should have a brand new car at my age.

Original post by StriderHort

Someone get Brenda from Bristol on the line...
Reply 4
Original post by Dumb guy

If it's reliable and you like it then rock it. It's called financial literacy. Why spend money on a new car when you have an old car which owes you nothing and costs you very little? Remind your girlfriend that having an old car means you have more money to spend on her :wink:

My car is a 2005 Audi A6 and my partner's car is a 2000 mk4 Golf GTTDI. We're 29. During the uncertainty or early-pandemic we were both very thankful to have no car payments (or any other kind of payments for that matter - the only money we owe is on the mortgage, we even own our phones outright). Pay for insurance for the year up front and just put diesel in it each month. Easy peasy.

There are things you can do to tart it up a bit - have a look at fitting an Android Auto/Apple Carplay head unit. The mk4 has space for a double DIN head unit so something like a Sony XAV-AX3005 drops right in. This will give you full Google Maps/Waze/Spotify/Podcast integration as well as voice commands and brings it up-to-date level with very modern cars in terms of phone connectivity. That model is £280, or two months of car payments if you bought something new :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
If it's reliable and you like it then rock it. It's called financial literacy. Why spend money on a new car when you have an old car which owes you nothing and costs you very little? Remind your girlfriend that having an old car means you have more money to spend on her :wink:

My car is a 2005 Audi A6 and my partner's car is a 2000 mk4 Golf GTTDI. We're 29. During the uncertainty or early-pandemic we were both very thankful to have no car payments (or any other kind of payments for that matter - the only money we owe is on the mortgage, we even own our phones outright). Pay for insurance for the year up front and just put diesel in it each month. Easy peasy.

There are things you can do to tart it up a bit - have a look at fitting an Android Auto/Apple Carplay head unit. The mk4 has space for a double DIN head unit so something like a Sony XAV-AX3005 drops right in. This will give you full Google Maps/Waze/Spotify/Podcast integration as well as voice commands and brings it up-to-date level with very modern cars in terms of phone connectivity. That model is £280, or two months of car payments if you bought something new :rolleyes:

What sort of new car are you buying for £140 per month?!
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom

Dacia Sandero
Reply 7
A car is a car and shes just teasing cause yours happens to be very old and probably doesnt have much longer left. does she drive?
Original post by adam271
Dacia Sandero

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom

You can buy a few small city cars for £140/month but a mk4 Golf will be more comfortable and drive better than all of them. Admittedly I've never priced up a new car because I've never been bothered.
Your car has lasted longer than your relationship will, it seems.
Original post by Pchim
A car is a car and shes just teasing cause yours happens to be very old and probably doesnt have much longer left. does she drive?

I got banned for advertising which I didnt do so I'm the op and no my gf doesn't drive
Original post by Nuffles

Is your partners a hatch or estate. Im op btw i got banned by mistake Im guessing so I made a new account
I'm the op I got banned by a mistake im guessing and I will be buying a new car at some point, I might get the new vw id
Original post by Your boy
Is your partners a hatch or estate. Im op btw i got banned by mistake Im guessing so I made a new account

My partner has the hatch. It's the GTTDI so it has the nice bits like sport seats, leather steering wheel, leather handbrake and gear knob, firmer suspension etc. We've just fitted some 17" wheels from a V5 New Beetle to it which look great. I had a mk4 estate before I had my A6 as well.

Which shade of red is yours in? Is it L3PG/Flash Red? I had a mk3 Golf estate in that colour, and my partner's old 6k2 Seat Ibiza was that colour as well. It's a really striking colour on the mk4. One of my colleagues has a mk4 estate in LC3X/Murano Red Pearl and it looks incredible as well.
Original post by Nuffles
My partner has the hatch. It's the GTTDI so it has the nice bits like sport seats, leather steering wheel, leather handbrake and gear knob, firmer suspension etc. We've just fitted some 17" wheels from a V5 New Beetle to it which look great. I had a mk4 estate before I had my A6 as well.

Which shade of red is yours in? Is it L3PG/Flash Red? I had a mk3 Golf estate in that colour, and my partner's old 6k2 Seat Ibiza was that colour as well. It's a really striking colour on the mk4. One of my colleagues has a mk4 estate in LC3X/Murano Red Pearl and it looks incredible as well.

Mines bright red
You can give her a bumblebee or optimus prime then. Extremely good cars that can transform with only £20.
Original post by Your boy
Mines bright red

Probably Flash Red or Tornado Red then. Very nice colours on the mk4. IMO keep it and tart it up a little. If it has steel wheels with plastic hub-caps swap them out for some GTI alloys, for example. Not some tat from Halfords, but it you keep it OEM it looks smart. 15" Avus II were standard on early GTIs and some other models and are super cheap on FB Marketplace, the 16" Montreal are nicer but harder to find in good nick for decent money. When I informed my insurers that I swapped from steelies to OEM option alloys it made no difference to my insurance.
Original post by Pchim

I agree.
If there's nothing wrong with it then why get rid.
(OP is long banned btw)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending