The Student Room Group

Help! Can't choose!

I’m applying for Politics. The internal deadline for my application is tomorrow.
I’ve already applied for HSPS at Cambridge, but I won't accept an offer if I get one because I don’t really like the course and it’s not my thing. I applied just to see if I can get in (stupid I know).
I still have 4 options left.
I’m definitely applying for Manchester and Bristol for Politics and IR like the cities and courses.
However, I’m stuck on my final 2.
I was down to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Liverpool. I’ve ruled out Glasgow (even though I love the city) because I don’t like how I have to study 3 subjects in the first 2 years. So I need to pick 2 out of Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Liverpool.

Pros and cons of each:
Liverpool:
+ I LOVE the city; course is good in year 2 & 3,
- Course is not as good in year 1; the department is rated quite badly and is very small

Newcastle
+ I think the city’s fairly good; I think the course is also fairly good; the department is good
- I prefer Liverpool as a city so I have a bit of an ick about it

Edinburgh
+ course is really good lots of options; the department is highly rated
- I don’t really like the city not enough nightlife; too touristy

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!!!!!
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jake1894637
I’m applying for Politics. The internal deadline for my application is tomorrow.
I’ve already applied for HSPS at Cambridge, but I won't accept an offer if I get one because I don’t really like the course and it’s not my thing. I applied just to see if I can get in (stupid I know).
I’m definitely applying for Manchester and Bristol for Politics and IR like the cities and courses.
I was down to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Liverpool. I’ve ruled out Glasgow (even though I love the city) because I don’t like how I have to study 3 subjects in the first 2 years. So I need to pick 2 out of Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Liverpool.

Pros and cons of each:
Liverpool:
- Course is not as good in year 1; the department is rated quite badly and is very small

Newcastle
+ I think the city’s fairly good; I think the course is also fairly good; the department is good

Edinburgh

Thank you

Realistically only you can deal with this as it is down to personal choice. Where di you get the deadline from. This isnt an official one. The only so called deadline is for equal consideration and that is 15 Jan.

The deadline for Cambridge was October so your application is already in. The only thing you have to do is add choices and there isnt a deadline for that other than the equal consideration date.
it really depends on what you want either a really good department or the city or a bit of both. I would say i think Newcastle city is underrated but check out videos from open days and stuff. I just watched countless videos on the uni cities/towns and the departments to see what would be the right fit. I would say everyone has their own opinion and if you feel drawn to a uni do not be put off by the department being slightly worse than some other uni. They are all really good unis and its great you have already made a list. Good luck.
Hi. I've applied to Edinburgh and really love the course - you can go in so many different directions with it. And in terms of the tourists, the school year is definitely the off-season so I'd expect it to be much less pronounced. I know a couple of people who go there and absolutely love it.
Original post by swanseajack1
Realistically only you can deal with this as it is down to personal choice. Where di you get the deadline from. This isnt an official one. The only so called deadline is for equal consideration and that is 15 Jan.

The deadline for Cambridge was October so your application is already in. The only thing you have to do is add choices and there isnt a deadline for that other than the equal consideration date.

the internal deadline is the colleges/sixth form own deadline so you give your application to your college b4 it is sent off so they can check things over before it is officially sent off.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1

Yeah you're totally right.

My school sets that as an internal deadline.

All my friends are getting their offers from Newcastle, Liverpool, and Edinburgh so I'm worried that I'm going to run out of time because it seems like unis aren't following that 15th Jan equal consideration deadline.

Honestly I know how dumb it is, but for some reason this decision has been eating me. I've litteraly made a 150 page powerpoint on making this decision, which is so sad, but yeah I just can't pick!!!!

Pros and cons of each:
Liverpool:

Newcastle

Edinburgh

Thank you

I heard that Newcastle's course is one of the best and also think the city is underrated. I would pick Newcastle if I were you!
Yeah you're totally right.

My school sets that as an internal deadline.

All my friends are getting their offers from Newcastle, Liverpool, and Edinburgh so I'm worried that I'm going to run out of time because it seems like unis aren't following that 15th Jan equal consideration deadline.

Honestly I know how dumb it is, but for some reason this decision has been eating me. I've litteraly made a 150 page powerpoint on making this decision, which is so sad, but yeah I just can't pick!!!!

dw im sure you will get a place they do wait if there is loads of applicants. and it is not dumb ive spent sooo long choosing my decisions i cant believe how long ive spent on it ahhh. im still indecisive aha.
Reply 8
Original post by something_orphic
it really depends on what you want either a really good department or the city or a bit of both. I would say i think Newcastle city is underrated but check out videos from open days and stuff. I just watched countless videos on the uni cities/towns and the departments to see what would be the right fit. I would say everyone has their own opinion and if you feel drawn to a uni do not be put off by the department being slightly worse than some other uni. They are all really good unis and its great you have already made a list. Good luck.

Thanks a lot!!! I tried the live vitrual open days but found them really bad because there were always technical difficulties etc. So yeah watching some videos on the depts might be a good idea - I didn't think of that :smile:
Thanks a lot!!! I tried the live vitrual open days but found them really bad because there were always technical difficulties yeetc. So yeah watching some videos on the depts might be a good idea - I didn't think of that :smile:

yeah i had a similar problem. i watched a lot of peoples personal experiences and what they thought as well as some amateur youtube tours so that it was not all dolled up.
Original post by chloelboz
Hi. I've applied to Edinburgh and really love the course - you can go in so many different directions with it. And in terms of the tourists, the school year is definitely the off-season so I'd expect it to be much less pronounced. I know a couple of people who go there and absolutely love it.

Awesome. I visited there once about 2 Xmas's ago - so in a touristy time - so maybe I got a bad impression of it. Deffo more of a Glasgow person... but don't like the course.

I'm just under the impression that it's more of a bars type of nightlife rather than ravey, which is what I'm looking for.
It depends on what you deem more important.
Reading your post, Liverpool doesn't seem to have a good department whereas Newcastle and Edinburgh do. Speaking in terms of priority, you should focus on how good the department or course is instead of the city (although this factor should also be considered), in which case drop Liverpool and go with the other two. Again, down to personal choice :smile:
Original post by TahrianAhmed
I heard that Newcastle's course is one of the best and also think the city is underrated. I would pick Newcastle if I were you!

Yeah they have a good department! I'm just under the impresison that the city is really small and there's not much independent stuff going on
Original post by MilkyWay_236
It depends on what you deem more important.
Reading your post, Liverpool doesn't seem to have a good department whereas Newcastle and Edinburgh do. Speaking in terms of priority, you should focus on how good the department or course is instead of the city (although this factor should also be considered), in which case drop Liverpool and go with the other two. Again, down to personal choice :smile:

Thanks! Yeah, that's true - I'm basically weighing up course vs city! You're right... I shouldn't get too drawn in to Liverpool just based upon how cool it looks.
For my course at Edinburgh they have less spaces for English students because of fee brackets and stuff but i guess if youve got the stats to apply to cambridge for the bants youre probably not too worried about that lmao

just from reading your summary you seem to be more keen on Liverpool and Newcastle but all great unis so just pick out of a hat if you have too aha
Original post by jasper816
For my course at Edinburgh they have less spaces for English students because of fee brackets and stuff but i guess if youve got the stats to apply to cambridge for the bants youre probably not too worried about that lmao

just from reading your summary you seem to be more keen on Liverpool and Newcastle but all great unis so just pick out of a hat if you have too aha

I'm predicted A* A* A and got my interview offer from Cambridge so I hope I'm good enough for the Edinburgh course if I choose it, but yeah... wdym by fee brackets?
Yeah they have a good department! I'm just under the impresison that the city is really small and there's not much independent stuff going on

What do you deem more important, would you like a good department, Newcastle, or a or a mildly better city, Liverpool? It is all dependant on your priorities and remember you will only be staying there for a few years!
Original post by something_orphic
dw im sure you will get a place they do wait if there is loads of applicants. and it is not dumb ive spent sooo long choosing my decisions i cant believe how long ive spent on it ahhh. im still indecisive aha.

okay.. very glad there's other people being as indecisive as me!
I've just realised that I can put in my Manchester and Bristol courses now and then add the other ones later - I thought I had to add them all at the same time... I hope that helps you If you didn't already know that, but it's probs just me being dumb
okay.. very glad there's other people being as indecisive as me!
I've just realised that I can put in my Manchester and Bristol courses now and then add the other ones later - I thought I had to add them all at the same time... I hope that helps you If you didn't already know that, but it's probs just me being dumb

I only figured that out about 2 days ago dw. Idk picking unis is hard especially when you cannot actually go and see them in person.
I'm predicted A* A* A and got my interview offer from Cambridge so I hope I'm good enough for the Edinburgh course if I choose it, but yeah... wdym by fee brackets?

scottish and eu students go to scottish unis for free
england and wales and maybe northen ireland you have to pay £9250
international have to pay loads i think
they have an allocated number of people for each "fee" bracket that can be accepted onto the course so for a course with 350 spaces only 70 might be for the english fee bracket compared to an english uni where it would probably be closer to like 250 but thats a guess

Quick Reply