The Student Room Group

Move to London uni now or wait till graduation

I'm currently a first year at a campus based university, I don't really enjoy it here and think I would be happier in London but I'm not certain. I can apply for a transfer now and would probably have to start from year 1 or I could wait till graduation when I will be 22/23, would this be too old for any activities? I'm also thinking I could do first and 2nd year internships there. Is the student life much better than intern/graduate life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently a first year at a campus based university, I don't really enjoy it here and think I would be happier in London but I'm not certain. I can apply for a transfer now and would probably have to start from year 1 or I could wait till graduation when I will be 22/23, would this be too old for any activities? I'm also thinking I could do first and 2nd year internships there. Is the student life much better than intern/graduate life?

Bump
Why do you think you’d be happier in London?
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why do you think you’d be happier in London?

I've never really been but I think I would prefer the more lively nature, I don't go on nights out so that isn't a factor for me. But having lived in a small town my whole life I think I would be happier, apart from that hearing so much about I want to experience it
I've never really been but I think I would prefer the more lively nature, I don't go on nights out so that isn't a factor for me. But having lived in a small town my whole life I think I would be happier, apart from that hearing so much about I want to experience it

Perhaps it would be a good idea to visit London first before you make your decision. It’s a great place, but it has its cons too (especially for someone coming from an entirely different background), so it’s best to see for yourself before making a decision based on things you’ve heard.
Reply 5
Perhaps it would be a good idea to visit London first before you make your decision. It’s a great place, but it has its cons too (especially for someone coming from an entirely different background), so it’s best to see for yourself before making a decision based on things you’ve heard.

Have you been, do you think it would be better to go now or wait until graduating?
Have you been, do you think it would be better to go now or wait until graduating?

I live in London.
I think if you’re thinking of potentially transferring to London mid-way through your degree, you should visit it first.
We are entering tiered restrictions after 2nd December so perhaps you can visit for a day during the Christmas holiday just to get a feel of the city.
Reply 7
I live in London.
I think if you’re thinking of potentially transferring to London mid-way through your degree, you should visit it first.
We are entering tiered restrictions after 2nd December so perhaps you can visit for a day during the Christmas holiday just to get a feel of the city.

I'm like an hour train ride from euston. What would your advice be if I have to restart to move to a london uni, should I just wait till graduation?
I'm like an hour train ride from euston. What would your advice be if I have to restart to move to a london uni, should I just wait till graduation?

Wait until graduation and do what, study another degree or get a graduate job in London? Do you want to specifically transfer to a London uni or do you just like the idea of moving to London in general?
Reply 9
Wait until graduation and do what, study another degree or get a graduate job in London? Do you want to specifically transfer to a London uni or do you just like the idea of moving to London in general?

I think just living in London, yes I mean get a graduate job in London, I did have an offer from UCL but I decided against it at the time and I'm regretting it now
I think just living in London, yes I mean get a graduate job in London, I did have an offer from UCL but I decided against it at the time and I'm regretting it now

Well the advice is the same then, you should visit London first before you decide to move here for a job. It’s very different to living in a small town and you may love it or hate it.
Well the advice is the same then, you should visit London first before you decide to move here for a job. It’s very different to living in a small town and you may love it or hate it.

Do ypu think I would have a better experience as a student or as a graduate?
visiting London and living in London are very different things. when you visit you'll be in the gorgeous bits thinking this is great. Unless you are a millionaire you won't be living a great lifestyle in those areas. London is great but not for students, wait until you are earning money.
Do ypu think I would have a better experience as a student or as a graduate?

I have no idea how your experience would be. Neither would be necessary “better”, it’s not as if you have some kind of holiday package as a student vs graduate, but staying as a student would be a relatively short term relocation where you could decide to move out when you finish your degree. Living in London because that’s where your job is would mean a more permanent relocation, unless you changed jobs.

I have a friend from up North who has moved to London and whilst they like the city well enough, they prefer elsewhere and will be moving out once they graduate.

It’s different for everyone.

And not to mention, London is very expensive, especially if you want a “good area” so bear that in mind.
visiting London and living in London are very different things. when you visit you'll be in the gorgeous bits thinking this is great. Unless you are a millionaire you won't be living a great lifestyle in those areas. London is great but not for students, wait until you are earning money.

Do you have experience there? But I think I'm starting to think along these lines
I have no idea how your experience would be. Neither would be necessary “better”, it’s not as if you have some kind of holiday package as a student vs graduate, but staying as a student would be a relatively short term relocation where you could decide to move out when you finish your degree. Living in London because that’s where your job is would mean a more permanent relocation, unless you changed jobs.

I have a friend from up North who has moved to London and whilst they like the city well enough, they prefer elsewhere and will be moving out once they graduate.

It’s different for everyone.

And not to mention, London is very expensive, especially if you want a “good area” so bear that in mind.

That was one of the main reasons I never accepted the UCL offer because of the costs. I suppose you have more time to explore as a student as opposed to a full time job
Do you have experience there? But I think I'm starting to think along these lines

yes I'm from London.
yes I'm from London.

I really appreciate your advice, I'm saving quite a bit of money right now and I guess Londons always going to be there when I get a grad job I will be able to enjoy it alot more
now
Original post by HS_1
now

What makea you say that?

Quick Reply

Latest