The Student Room Group

Anyone intending to travel home after the student travel window ends

I know the student travel window is between the 3rd and 9th December but I am wondering if it is okay to head home later? The thing is, I don’t want to be stuck at my parent’s house for 2 weeks while the uni library and facilities are open before Christmas. Also, my parents are planning on visiting my grandma on Xmas day and if I go home before they see them, there is a risk of virus transmission to her. If I stayed put in halls, it would eliminate that risk as I wouldn’t be seeing my parents until after they visited my grandma. My plan would be to spend Xmas day with my sister who lives in the same city, then my parents pick both of us up on their way back and we spend some time together at home before me and my sister return around New Year.

I should also note that me, my sister and parents live in tier 2 areas, while my grandma lives in a tier 1. Those are just my personal circumstances but I am wondering if as a student, it is okay to travel outside the 6-day window, and whether any other students would consider doing the same?
Original post by Peter187
I know the student travel window is between the 3rd and 9th December but I am wondering if it is okay to head home later? The thing is, I don’t want to be stuck at my parent’s house for 2 weeks while the uni library and facilities are open before Christmas. Also, my parents are planning on visiting my grandma on Xmas day and if I go home before they see them, there is a risk of virus transmission to her. If I stayed put in halls, it would eliminate that risk as I wouldn’t be seeing my parents until after they visited my grandma. My plan would be to spend Xmas day with my sister who lives in the same city, then my parents pick both of us up on their way back and we spend some time together at home before me and my sister return around New Year.

I should also note that me, my sister and parents live in tier 2 areas, while my grandma lives in a tier 1. Those are just my personal circumstances but I am wondering if as a student, it is okay to travel outside the 6-day window, and whether any other students would consider doing the same?

I am traveling home after the travel window for similar reasons to you. I don't want to be at home whilst uni is still running even if it is online as I know I won't get any work done. I have been told by my university that the travel window is advised but not compulsory. Personally I think the risk of catching coronavirus would be greater in the travel window as everyone is travelling from different unis but on the same planes, trains etc. If you are worried about giving the unwanted gift of COVID to your family this christmas have you considered getting a test? Then you and your sister might be able to spend christmas day with your family.
Reply 2
Original post by _alex_ewing_
I am traveling home after the travel window for similar reasons to you. I don't want to be at home whilst uni is still running even if it is online as I know I won't get any work done. I have been told by my university that the travel window is advised but not compulsory. Personally I think the risk of catching coronavirus would be greater in the travel window as everyone is travelling from different unis but on the same planes, trains etc. If you are worried about giving the unwanted gift of COVID to your family this christmas have you considered getting a test? Then you and your sister might be able to spend christmas day with your family.

My uni are providing tests up to the 11th December for the student travel window but after that, I guess I’d have to pay for one and that would be expensive. I don’t understand why the government have made the travel window so short as that just concentrates all students onto limited public transport capacity for six days. It would be much better if universities provide testing right up until Christmas Eve, so that people can go home at quieter times without the risk of transmission.

Quick Reply

Latest