The Student Room Group

Is AAAB for UCAS good enough?

Hi,

I’m currently completing my UCAS application and have recently read so many horror stories on here of people not getting any offers at all with better grades than myself and it’s terrifying me! I have already applied for Cambridge, however doubt i’ll even get an interview. Is it likely i’ll be rejected before interview? I’m also interested in studying English at Durham, but have no idea whether my grades are strong enough. This is the same for Exeter and Bristol. I can’t find a back up University that i like - any recommendations?
I also completed an EPQ and received a B if this helps.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

just look at the entry reqs that's the extremely reliable way of knowing if your grades are strong enough

cambridge, no; the others maybe, just check

you'll want 1/2 unis that are aspirational, 1-3 that are reasonable, and 1/2 that are safe choices given your grades relative to the standard offer
Reply 2
Thanks
Do they typically give interviews to people who meet the entry requirements?
Original post by abiloui5e
Thanks
Do they typically give interviews to people who meet the entry requirements?

no idea but i'd guess no unless your GCSEs are strong
Usually people only get no offers if a) they apply to a load of courses with higher entry requirements than they have actually been predicted b) apply for courses that they don't have required prerequisite subjects for c) applied for courses knowing they do not meet stated GCSE requirements (e.g. Maths at grade B or above, when they have a C, and are not retaking it) or d) are applying to medicine/dentistry/vet med, which are very competitive and have additional factors that possibility more likely.

Essentially, it's mostly either people being very stupid about their choices, or those applying to med/dent/vet, which due to the fact they can only apply to 4 such courses in the first place and there are a large number of hurdles to actually getting an interview, much less an offer, for many medical schools, the chance of getting no offers is higher. Select courses that your predicted grades actually meet the requirements for, and provided your PS is relevant you have a reasonable chance of getting an offer.

Remember that not all applicants that get an offer from a given uni will necessary take it up, as they may choose to go to a different uni; universities realise this and so they make enough offers to make sure they can fill their course given that at least some students will end up meeting their offer but not attending, or failing to achieve the requirements of their offer. So the odds of getting at least one offer, especially if you are not applying to a course which is restricted in size by external factors (e.g. government quotas like medicine, finite lab space availability like many STEM subjects, the need to balance smaller classes for language based courses, etc), are fairly good.
Hi,

I’m currently completing my UCAS application and have recently read so many horror stories on here of people not getting any offers at all with better grades than myself and it’s terrifying me! I have already applied for Cambridge, however doubt i’ll even get an interview. Is it likely i’ll be rejected before interview? I’m also interested in studying English at Durham, but have no idea whether my grades are strong enough. This is the same for Exeter and Bristol. I can’t find a back up University that i like - any recommendations?
I also completed an EPQ and received a B if this helps.
Thanks

Unis will look at your top 3 A level grades so effectively you are an AAA applicant. Unless you qualify for contextual offers, your application will suffer at certain unis from the fact that you are applying to A*AA courses with AAA predictions. The fourth A level will not help you.

Cambridge is an aspirational choice so you may not get an interview there although no one can say for sure. The same is true for Durham although they may be more lenient with predicted grades if your application is strong overall.

You are likely to get offers from Bristol and Exeter as your predicted grades match what they are looking for. With regard to back up unis I would suggest Lancaster, Sheffield or Southampton.
Are you eligible for contextual? Because if not it's pretty unlikely that you'll get offers to be honest because English is a very competitive course at both Cambridge and Durham. You should be fine for Exeter though, their acceptance rate is 80something% and you meet the requirements (I've applied for the same course at those 3 unis too, so I might see you at one of them!) I went for York and then Birmingham as my backups.
Reply 7
Original post by nogoodusersleft
Are you eligible for contextual? Because if not it's pretty unlikely that you'll get offers to be honest because English is a very competitive course at both Cambridge and Durham. You should be fine for Exeter though, their acceptance rate is 80something% and you meet the requirements (I've applied for the same course at those 3 unis too, so I might see you at one of them!) I went for York and then Birmingham as my backups.

Thanks! I’m looking at Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Exeter, St. Andrews UCL and Kings and just can’t choose. I need a ‘safe’ option if Royal Holloway’s entry requirements are AAB-ABB does that count as safe? Would hate to be rejected everywhere.
Reply 8
Thanks! I’m looking at Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Exeter, St. Andrews UCL and Kings and just can’t choose. I need a ‘safe’ option if Royal Holloway’s entry requirements are AAB-ABB does that count as safe? Would hate to be rejected everywhere.

Also, at Durham I’ve read that anyone who goes to a state school is eligible for contextual, so might have some luck?
Also, at Durham I’ve read that anyone who goes to a state school is eligible for contextual, so might have some luck?

No, not by itself. See:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/contextualoffers/

Royal Holloway is safe
Reply 11

Am i likely to get rejected by St. Andrews?

It should be fine! That would definitely be a safe option, Birmingham have also reduced their usual English offer from AAB to ABB if that helps. For Durham I think you have to have at least two of the requirements they list to be eligible for contextual, so if there's another one that applies along with your school you will be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
It should be fine! Have you heard back from any of them yet? That would definitely be a safe option, Birmingham have also reduced their usual English offer from AAB to ABB if that helps. For Durham I think you have to have at least two of the requirements they list to be eligible for contextual, so if there's another one that applies along with your school you will be.

Thanks! I’ve just checked my postcode and i’m not eligible so am unsure whether to apply it’s either Durham or St. andrews. I’m pretty certain i’m going to apply to Bristol and Exeter and hope for the best and then put Royal Holloway as my ‘safe’
Thanks! I’ve just checked my postcode and i’m not eligible so am unsure whether to apply it’s either Durham or St. andrews. I’m pretty certain i’m going to apply to Bristol and Exeter and hope for the best and then put Royal Holloway as my ‘safe’

St Andrews would probably be best, English at Durham seems really competitive! I guess it also depends on distance as well. Which Cambridge college did you apply to?
Reply 15
St Andrews would probably be best, English at Durham seems really competitive! I guess it also depends on distance as well. Which Cambridge college did you apply to?

Homerton
Am i likely to get rejected by St. Andrews?

No idea, I'm afraid.
Reply 17
Original post by ageshallnot
No idea, I'm afraid.

I have 4 choices left - might give it a go as I have the required
I have 4 choices left - might give it a go as I have the required

You have zero chance if you don't apply! 😃
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
You have zero chance if you don't apply! 😃

Very true!!