The Student Room Group

can i wear box braids?

Im trying to grow out my hair, the texture is 3c. I was thinking about getting box braids as a protective style to encourage growth . My dad is black and my mum is white. However, my skin is a really light complexion. Im scared if i get the braids others would consider it insulting because i look 'too white' or i wouldn't suit them. Are there any other protective styles i could try??
Original post by hannahstudent04
Im trying to grow out my hair, the texture is 3c. I was thinking about getting box braids as a protective style to encourage growth . My dad is black and my mum is white. However, my skin is a really light complexion. Im scared if i get the braids others would consider it insulting because i look 'too white' or i wouldn't suit them. Are there any other protective styles i could try??

Yes you can. It's not cultural appropriating because firstly its literally YOUR culture.
Secondly its just hair, and as long as you understand what it is and what your doing has cultural importance you're free to do it. It only becomes a problem when you take things from other cultures without understanding the history etc and just wear it as a fashion thing, not knowing anything about it.
Being an ethnic minority, i get cultural appropriation but its really not that deep (as long as the person gets what it it)
Original post by babushkac4
Yes you can. It's not cultural appropriating because firstly its literally YOUR culture.
Secondly its just hair, and as long as you understand what it is and what your doing has cultural importance you're free to do it. It only becomes a problem when you take things from other cultures without understanding the history etc and just wear it as a fashion thing, not knowing anything about it.
Being an ethnic minority, i get cultural appropriation but its really not that deep (as long as the person gets what it it)

Thankyouu, i told my friend the other day i wanted the braids and she said i would suit them and her mum is kindly going to do them for me next week i'm rlly excited.
No culture owns a hairstyle, you can wear it however way you want. The Celts are known to have worn braids and dreadlocks and they were white. Don’t let anyone’s prejudice stop you from styling your hair the way you feel like.
Reply 4
Anyone can wear anything they'd like. Whether you care about getting labelled racist or not is up to you however, if you look white at first glance people are guaranteed to assume.
People give weird looks to white peoples who wear box braids is cause it’s not meant for their hair texture and as a result they could go bald. but your hair is 3c which is kinky enough so your hair won’t be damaged
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Anyone can wear anything they'd like. Whether you care about getting labelled racist or not is up to you however, if you look white at first glance people are guaranteed to assume.

i don't look white, just mixed like zendayas skin tone (im obvs not a queen like her tho) i think im just nervous i wont suit them because i havent tried them before and im not fully black. plus i got a big fod, i look like megaminds btec twin
Reply 7
i don't look white, just mixed like zendayas skin tone (im obvs not a queen like her tho) i think im just nervous i wont suit them because i havent tried them before and im not fully black. plus i got a big fod, i look like megaminds btec twin

Yes you can wear them , coming from a black girl ! It’s fine 😊

everything here was correct except that part where you said “it’s just hair”. it’s not just hair! there’s history behind it & labelling it as just hair is offensive.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
No culture owns a hairstyle, you can wear it however way you want. The Celts are known to have worn braids and dreadlocks and they were white. Don’t let anyone’s prejudice stop you from styling your hair the way you feel like.

Braids worn by Celts and/or other cultures are different to box braids. Look into the history of hairstyles and you'll see specific hairstyles originated from specific cultures have hold historical value. However as long as you are educated and understand the history/value/culture its okay.
So technically your incorrect.

first time for everthing b. I'm sure you'll look amazing xx
XDD megamind yk.
Braids worn by Celts and/or other cultures are different to box braids. Look into the history of hairstyles and you'll see specific hairstyles originated from specific cultures have hold historical value. However as long as you are educated and understand the history/value/culture its okay.
So technically your incorrect.

The semantics of it make no difference to the point that Celts wore hairstyles which some now identify purely with black culture. Nor to the point that no race owns a hairstyle and that anyone can wear their hair in whichever way they like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending