The Student Room Group

biology or biological science

Which degree do I choose if I want a broad degree which will give me a vast scope which would open the doors for many different careers. In short I don't really understand the difference between the two. Also, my A-Levels are maths, biology and rs - will my lack of chemistry be a problem?
Original post by lucy295
Which degree do I choose if I want a broad degree which will give me a vast scope which would open the doors for many different careers. In short I don't really understand the difference between the two. Also, my A-Levels are maths, biology and rs - will my lack of chemistry be a problem?

They are basically the same degree. Both would be vast scope degrees. I wouldn't really say biology degrees "open a lot of doors" though. Most biology degrees will likely feature a biochemistry module or two, which may be a bit more difficult without A-level chemistry buts its still do-able
They mean the same thing. Both are very broad degrees that cover a whole range of sciences. Biology degrees (on average) are probably narrower than Biological Sciences, but you'd have to look at each university's course before deciding either way.
Reply 3
Original post by QuentinM
They are basically the same degree. Both would be vast scope degrees. I wouldn't really say biology degrees "open a lot of doors" though. Most biology degrees will likely feature a biochemistry module or two, which may be a bit more difficult without A-level chemistry buts its still do-able

I mean I don't expect it to open doors for me in reporting or something random but the type of careers I'm thinking of going down can be follow-ons from a biological degree.
Original post by lucy295
I mean I don't expect it to open doors for me in reporting or something random but the type of careers I'm thinking of going down can be follow-ons from a biological degree.

out of interest, what types of careers are you thinking of?
Biology = traditional ecology, physiology, plants & animals stuff. Might be hard to find jobs outside academia since the scope is a bit narrow.
I have no idea what's included biological science. If it contains biochemistry/cell biology then it opens up more doors since the biomed field is large (although saturated)
Reply 6
Original post by QuentinM
out of interest, what types of careers are you thinking of?

I am thinking things like research in illnesses, but working with people rather than cells in a petri dish ... or therapy
Original post by lucy295
I am thinking things like research in illnesses, but working with people rather than cells in a petri dish ... or therapy

Its difficult but not impossible to do this with a biology degree, this would usually be nurses or doctors doing this type of research. Even then usually when biologists do "research with people" its usually on samples collected from people (e.g. blood, urine)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending