The Student Room Group

if i start seeing a 2nd doctor, will the 1st one find out?

i'm talking about private doctors (psych.). i'm going through a rough patch and need more meds than my current one is willing to prescribe atm. it's a temporary situation. anyway, if i start seeing another one (whilst continuing to regularly see my first one because he's reliable) will they find out? i don't really understand how it works, like do they all have separate medical records or is there a system that allows them to see all my prescriptions etc.?

Scroll to see replies

I do not know but I suspect they would see all of it, it would be a huge glaring hole in the safety of the system otherwise. The whole 'changing docs to get access to drugs' thing is pretty well known.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
I do not know but I suspect they would see all of it, it would be a huge glaring hole in the safety of the system otherwise. The whole 'changing docs to get access to drugs' thing is pretty well known.

that's so stupid. it shouldn't matter to them. what else am i supposed to do? it's like they want people to get their medications illegally. there's no other option then.
Original post by Ciel.
that's so stupid. it shouldn't matter to them. what else am i supposed to do? it's like they want people to get their medications illegally. there's no other option then.

Seems sensible to me tbh, otherwise what's to stop someone claiming 2, 3, 4, 10 extra prescriptions by calling different docs?

Not what you want to hear, but it's probably to stop people deciding how they are going to self medicate themselves at crisis points.
Reply 4
Seems sensible to me tbh, otherwise what's to stop someone claiming 2, 3, 4, 10 extra prescriptions by calling different docs?

Not what you want to hear, but it's probably to stop people deciding how they are going to self medicate themselves at crisis points.

i know what you mean. but in reality, it's not going to stop most people. all it does it put them at risk.
Original post by Ciel.
i know what you mean. but in reality, it's not going to stop most people. all it does it put them at risk.

So the obvious solution is to transfer the risk to the doctor instead. How convenient.
Original post by Ciel.

I dunno, if someone then makes the choice to self medicate elsewhere, they're putting themselves at risk and can't just pass off that responsibility. I can see why someone would, but i wouldn't expect them to be encouraged.

It's like complaining that your bank refused you a loan so it's their fault you went to a loan shark and lost everything, when the bank quite clearly refused the loan because you are the sort of person who will go to a loan shark and lose everything, you can't really argue they made the wrong call.

My worry about trying to monkey with the prescriptions system would be it backfiring and ending up with a discreet 'Substance abuse danger : Do not prescribe X, Y, Z...' note. tbh I think I've already got something along those lines as they keep a really tight leash on some meds for me, like I'll get prescribed 'A pill'
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
So the obvious solution is to transfer the risk to the doctor instead. How convenient.

what risk?
I dunno, if someone then makes the choice to self medicate elsewhere, they're putting themselves at risk and can't just pass off that responsibility. I can see why someone would, but i wouldn't expect them to be encouraged.

It's like complaining that your bank refused you a loan so it's their fault you went to a loan shark and lost everything, when the bank quite clearly refused the loan because you are the sort of person who will go to a loan shark and lose everything, you can't really argue they made the wrong call.

My worry about trying to monkey with the prescriptions system would be it backfiring and ending up with a discreet 'Substance abuse danger : Do not prescribe X, Y, Z...' note. tbh I think I've already got something along those lines as they keep a really tight leash on some meds for me, like I'll get prescribed 'A pill'

i understand but it's a one off situation.
and yeah that's what i'm concerned about... i wouldn't want to mess things up
if a professional isn’t prescribing you the amount of medication you want, it’s probably because you don’t need it. it’s sad that nowadays people think the only thing they can do to make themselves feel better is to numb themselves with drugs. talk therapy, cutting out toxic people/relationships and implementing healthy habits are all much better for improving mental health.
Reply 9
Original post by MadameRazz
if a professional isn’t prescribing you the amount of medication you want, it’s probably because you don’t need it. it’s sad that nowadays people think the only thing they can do to make themselves feel better is to numb themselves with drugs. talk therapy, cutting out toxic people/relationships and implementing healthy habits are all much better for improving mental health.

it's never been an issue in the past. anyway, i think i know what i need, and what i don't need. talk therapy, huh? good luck with that. who are you kidding, that **** doesn't work unless your problem is something ridiculously minor
If you really want the meds, I reckon you can go see the second doctor and hope they don't realize, and if they do, you can just really chill say you're asking for a second opinion. For example at 2nd doctor: I have this, this and that mental health problem, would you think I need meds, if they say yes of course and prescribe them then you're done, and if they go but you're seeing xxx doctor already, just go oh I just wanted to see another and see if they'd give me the same meds so I know the treatment is reliable. I think either way this is safe enough
You need to change your situation and taking more drugs is not going to help at all.
Reply 12
Original post by *****deadness
If you really want the meds, I reckon you can go see the second doctor and hope they don't realize, and if they do, you can just really chill say you're asking for a second opinion. For example at 2nd doctor: I have this, this and that mental health problem, would you think I need meds, if they say yes of course and prescribe them then you're done, and if they go but you're seeing xxx doctor already, just go oh I just wanted to see another and see if they'd give me the same meds so I know the treatment is reliable. I think either way this is safe enough

thanks
Original post by Anonymous
You need to change your situation and taking more drugs is not going to help at all.

i can't. anyway, it's not just the situation. it's mostly me. my mind is just weird like that, with its constant mood shifts
Original post by Ciel.
what risk?

The medicolegal risk of prescribing something just because someone wants it and may obtain it by other means. That's their problem, not mine.

The signature on the script actually means something in court and/or in front of the GMC.
Reply 14
The medicolegal risk of prescribing something just because someone wants it and may obtain it by other means. That's their problem, not mine.

The signature on the script actually means something in court and/or in front of the GMC.

why in the world would i report them to anyone?
Original post by Ciel.
why in the world would i report them to anyone?

Er...okay, I'll just take your word for it that you're a completely trustworthy patient when you're on here asking how you can game the system.
Reply 16
Er...okay, I'll just take your word for it that you're a completely trustworthy patient when you're on here asking how you can game the system.

the whole system is ridiculous. i'll get them either way. it will probably be cheaper too. considering how much private doctors charge you, the service should be so much better.
Ah, good old doctor shopping. You'd have more luck in the US.
Reply 18
Original post by Ramipril
Ah, good old doctor shopping. You'd have more luck in the US.

i wouldn't call it that. anyway, our doctors are such control freaks, i'm fed with them tbh. waste of money.
Original post by Ciel.
i wouldn't call it that

Why not?

Quick Reply

Latest