The Student Room Group

Can a set who's learning higher become a foundation set?

Just a question as my Maths set is doing higher ATM but I think only set 1,2 and 3 are going to be doing higher until year 11 (I am year 9). Can it just change? Or does it have to remain the same.
In my school, you were moved down to foundation if you got less than at 4 in your year 11 November / February mock. It’s relative and my current head of year at the time told me it’s only fully decided a few months before your actual exam.
(edited 3 years ago)
You can move up from foundation too, but how hard that is depends on your current ability and your school’s willingness to move you too.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't think the school will move a whole set, probably only individual students
Original post by *****deadness
I don't think the school will move a whole set, probably only individual students

Sorry I phrased it wrong: I am in set 4 and my set is doing higher at the moment, but in my school only set 1, 2 and 3 are doing higher but set 4 is doing higher now. I was wondering, by year 11 would it still be doing higher or can it change to foundation?
Original post by daonedaonly19
Sorry I phrased it wrong: I am in set 4 and my set is doing higher at the moment, but in my school only set 1, 2 and 3 are doing higher but set 4 is doing higher now. I was wondering, by year 11 would it still be doing higher or can it change to foundation?

Have you spoken to your school about it? If they see you’re capable they’ll move you up I’m sure. I don’t know if this applies to your school, but you could certainly move up and down in mine. However after a certain period, I don’t think you could move up.
(edited 3 years ago)

The school can teach however they want and switch if they want to, but they'll probably consult everyone, and probably won't teach higher to start with if they plan on going back to foundation. How sure are you that only 1-3 do higher?
The school can teach however they want and switch if they want to, but they'll probably consult everyone, and probably won't teach higher to start with if they plan on going back to foundation. How sure are you that only 1-3 do higher?

Well, last year 1-4 did higher, before that only 1-3 did, also my maths teacher told me that set 4 will be a foundation set by year 11. Not only that but my sister (who is in year 11) said her set 4 friends are doing a foundation mock paper instead of a higher.

It willldepend how everyone is doing. We aim for Higher until mocks in Year 11 and then some individuals might do Foundation.
Well, last year 1-4 did higher, before that only 1-3 did, also my maths teacher told me that set 4 will be a foundation set by year 11. Not only that but my sister (who is in year 11) said her set 4 friends are doing a foundation mock paper instead of a higher.

Your maths teacher knows best, no one here does. Are you concerned about doing the foundation or higher?
Your maths teacher knows best, no one here does. Are you concerned about doing the foundation or higher?

Well I would like to do higher because my sister is in set 1 maths and very good at it and has the revision guides and stuff and could help me if I am stuck. Also I just wanna do higher because foundation seems way too easy and I have friends who are in a foundation set and they showed me some of their work and it was very easy.
Original post by Muttley79
It willldepend how everyone is doing. We aim for Higher until mocks in Year 11 and then some individuals might do Foundation.

Ah, so its a 50/50 mixture?
Well I would like to do higher because my sister is in set 1 maths and very good at it and has the revision guides and stuff and could help me if I am stuck. Also I just wanna do higher because foundation seems way too easy and I have friends who are in a foundation set and they showed me some of their work and it was very easy.

Then go ask your teachers. They've been teaching higher for your set so it shouldn't be too hard to change. You should also do a bit of revision so in case they want to test if you're good enough you'll be prepared and have a better chance of convincing them
Ah, so its a 50/50 mixture?

It wil vary - I'm in a selective school so very few end up doing Foundation.

When there were 3 tiers we did have groups where some did Higher and some Intermediate ...

What not ask your school?
Original post by Muttley79
It wil vary - I'm in a selective school so very few end up doing Foundation.

When there were 3 tiers we did have groups where some did Higher and some Intermediate ...

What not ask your school?

idk lol, i just wanted to know if it can change like that drastically.
idk lol, i just wanted to know if it can change like that drastically.

Only your school wil know that - every school is different.
They will move you individually. If they think you are capable of the higher paper, they will most likely move you up a set to work on higher questions with the rest of the class.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest