The Student Room Group

Is Finance, Accounting, and Business a good degree to do if you dislike Math?

I absolutely dislike Math. I find it too hard to understand and It was the bane of my existence during GCSE, I ended up with a 5 in it. I'm currently studying Economics Sociology and Chemistry and I really want to pursue finance and a career in Investment banking. However, I really want to avoid any math-related subjects, (I do Chemistry which is kind of math-based but I don't mind it.) the course itself doesn't require a Math A-Level so would It be suitable for me?

Edit: I don’t mind statistics and normal calculations as I take Chemistry, Economics and EPQ Math but Geometry, Algebra, and things like that is what I dislike the most
(edited 3 years ago)
What is it you don't like about maths ?
If its more the engineering and trig then finance should be fine as it's more statistic and general calculation based
Why do you want to pursue finance / investment banking if you hate maths? Especially if you received a 5 in maths as well. There's a lot of statistics in those courses and professions.

I honestly wouldn't recommend a degree or profession in that if you really do hate maths / aren't good at it. On the other hand, if you actually don't mind maths and would be more than happy to spend a lot of extra time working on it / spending half of your degree dealing with numbers and statistics, then go for it. Otherwise, find something else.

If you're wanting to pursue a degree in finance etc because of the money, then think about this - will you be able to pass exams and an entire degree in it if you hate it so much at a basic level (GCSE) and only managed a 5? Would you be able to pass the degree at university at a high enough grade to get a good job in it?
Reply 3
Business studies would be fine. Accounting and finance isn't hugely mathematical but does depend a lot of numeracy and numerical problem solving. I wouldn't risk it without a better grade at GCSE - plus a lot of the graduate jobs will have minimum grades for GCSE maths (and English) which could be a real problem for you.
Original post by ajj2000
Business studies would be fine. Accounting and finance isn't hugely mathematical but does depend a lot of numeracy and numerical problem solving. I wouldn't risk it without a better grade at GCSE - plus a lot of the graduate jobs will have minimum grades for GCSE maths (and English) which could be a real problem for you.

No I received 7’s in both English and Science which is okay I guess, also I’m doing core math which is another EPQ but I just wanted to know if the course is heavily math based. It’s all one degree btw
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
Why do you want to pursue finance / investment banking if you hate maths? Especially if you received a 5 in maths as well. There's a lot of statistics in those courses and professions.

I honestly wouldn't recommend a degree or profession in that if you really do hate maths / aren't good at it. On the other hand, if you actually don't mind maths and would be more than happy to spend a lot of extra time working on it / spending half of your degree dealing with numbers and statistics, then go for it. Otherwise, find something else.

If you're wanting to pursue a degree in finance etc because of the money, then think about this - will you be able to pass exams and an entire degree in it if you hate it so much at a basic level (GCSE) and only managed a 5? Would you be able to pass the degree at university at a high enough grade to get a good job in it?

I’m not sure, I hated more the algebra and geometry side of math. I certainly didn’t go good enough to take it as an A Level but I tried to do chemistry and Economics and an EPQ in math to recompensaste for the bad grade. I’m fine with statistics but I just wanted to know if I’m University I’d be doing unnecessary math especially if I’m doing a Finance related degree. I might just retake idk :/
You need maths for finance, you can’t do finance without it. Stats yes but there’s also a whole bunch of formulas you need to use and manipulate for different calculations. There’s no getting out of that.

Accounting has less maths, it’s more about what you do in different situations, add here if this happens or take away here ect. Once you learn balance sheets and statements of financial positions the maths is just mostly how to do adjustments in more and more different scenarios.

Economics needs stats, regression, ect. But a lot isnt really math based it’s learning models of theory. “Some people believe this happens, others believe this happens” the maths is used to demonstrate theory but it’s not the main part to learn, apart from econometrics. Which is pretty much 100% stats. Also one of my econ lecturers was a douch and did all the stats in matrix maths instead of standard. Total pain

Edit- you don’t need geometry, forgot completely about that

You need algebra, matrix’s, regression stats, and just being totally comfortable with integration, %’s ect.

That said uni’s do teach you most of it, because not everyone knows it going in (or they just forgot it)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lbenson88
You need maths for finance, you can’t do finance without it. Stats yes but there’s also a whole bunch of formulas you need to use and manipulate for different calculations. There’s no getting out of that.

Accounting has less maths, it’s more about what you do in different situations, add here if this happens or take away here ect. Once you learn balance sheets and statements of financial positions the maths is just mostly how to do adjustments in more and more different scenarios.

Economics needs stats, regression, ect. But a lot isnt really math based it’s learning models of theory. “Some people believe this happens, others believe this happens” the maths is used to demonstrate theory but it’s not the main part to learn, apart from econometrics. Which is pretty much 100% stats. Also one of my econ lecturers was a douch and did all the stats in matrix maths instead of standard. Total pain

You need algebra, matrix’s, regression stats, and just being totally comfortable with integration, %’s ect.

That said uni’s do teach you most of it, because not everyone knows it going in (or they just forgot it)

But what’s the math like for your course or finance related degrees? Is it unnecessary algebra or just formulas? I don’t mind formulas as in chemistry we do a lot of formulas multiplying rearranging formulas and use different equations, but if it’s things like A Level math and algebra I want to avoid it

What degree would you recommend me do that isn’t heavily maths reliant and is more theory based? To be honest I think most degrees that need a lot of math ask for a Math A Level
If you google images a finance formula sheet and take a look. Something like this is totally standard

https://www.studocu.com/en-au/document/monash-university/financial-management/other/formula-sheet-containing-all-the-formulas-necessary-to-complete-the-course/295852/view

In first year they’ll give you the sheet, by 2nd or third year you’re expected to know it all by heart. And be comfortable swapping things or starting from a different variation of formula on the sheet with this only as a guide.

Often there’s calculations (not on this sheet) to get to things that go inside these formulas. And it’s based on theory plus maths.
If you google images a finance formula sheet and take a look. Something like this is totally standard

https://www.studocu.com/en-au/document/monash-university/financial-management/other/formula-sheet-containing-all-the-formulas-necessary-to-complete-the-course/295852/view

In first year they’ll give you the sheet, by 2nd or third year you’re expected to know it all by heart. And be comfortable swapping things or starting from a different variation of formula on the sheet with this only as a guide.

Often there’s calculations (not on this sheet) to get to things that go inside these formulas. And it’s based on theory plus maths.

Is it just all formulas and equations? I think I can handle that since it’s basically half of the chemistry course, and I can just say I chose chemistry because it’s half math based. (Even though I didn’t)
Thanks a lot, you’ve been a massive help!
Original post by Mohamed Idris
What degree would you recommend me do that isn’t heavily maths reliant and is more theory based? To be honest I think most degrees that need a lot of math ask for a Math A Level

Try management or business degrees instead of finance degrees.

You still learn a lot of the basic finance techniques used in business but there’s WAY less maths and more theory. You’ll need all the management accounting ratios/ share price stuff, plus the time value of money and project valuation things. But you won’t do too much of the financial math stuff. (Which honestly computers do anyway in real life)

If you want to be a trader or quant as a job it won’t work, but you need to be a math nerd to do those. Any other business/consulting/accounting job doesn’t need you to do the maths at degree level
Try management or business degrees instead of finance degrees.

You still learn a lot of the basic finance techniques used in business but there’s WAY less maths and more theory. You’ll need all the management accounting ratios/ share price stuff, plus the time value of money and project valuation things. But you won’t do too much of the financial math stuff. (Which honestly computers do anyway in real life)

If you want to be a trader or quant as a job it won’t work, but you need to be a math nerd to do those. Any other business/consulting/accounting job doesn’t need you to do the maths at degree level

I’m most likely going to stick to Finance as I don’t mind formulae as it’s just rearranging equations and plugging numbers in the formula, which can just be done mostly on a calculator anyway, or I might do Accounting because as you said it’s more theory based. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Mohamed Idris
I’m most likely going to stick to Finance as I don’t mind formulae as it’s just rearranging equations and plugging numbers in the formula, which can just be done mostly on a calculator anyway, or I might do Accounting because as you said it’s more theory based. Thanks :smile:

Good luck!
Go wild - do Law.
Its far more interesting than 'business-something', and you do not need any specific subjects.
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/law/

Or International Development - uses Economics and Sociology is a useful way.
UEA : https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/international-development-ug
In business A level, I haven't encountered anything algebra related (not a bad thing . . .). Theres a fair share of graphs and equations but nothin' too bad.
Original post by McGinger
Go wild - do Law.
Its far more interesting than 'business-something', and you do not need any specific subjects.
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/law/

Or International Development - uses Economics and Sociology is a useful way.
UEA : https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/international-development-ug

Thanks a lot for the advice, I’ll certainly give the article a read :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest