The Student Room Group

a level choices

so i recently chose my options which are economics, maths and biology

i was wondering if there is any advice on whether the subjects are very difficult, whether its content heavy or manageable etc. any general advice would help
I did A Level maths and only got a B as my CAG this summer. What I'd say about A Level Maths is you seriously need to put in the effort. I resat maths in Autumn because I needed an A. And tbh I don't think A Level Maths is even that hard.

My issue was that I rarely ever did the work properly as I was just gonna wait till the A Level Exams to do good in those. obvs that didn't happen coz of covid. So all in all, if you do the work for A Level Maths, I have no doubt you can do well in it.

Maths Genie is very good to learn the content and MadasMaths/Maths Made Easy are both very good for exam style Questions.
Reply 2
Original post by samiraaaaa

i was wondering if there is any advice on whether the subjects are very difficult, whether its content heavy or manageable etc. any general advice would help

What grades are you predicted at gcse? That'll make it easier to see how difficult you'll find them. Also, just out of interest, do you have any ideas for degrees, future jobs, anything else?

I can't speak for economics or maths, but I'm doing biology (I'm in year 12 right now). It definitely is a step-up from gcse - gcse you can get away with memorisation, but a-level requires more in-depth understanding of the concepts. It's manageable though, definitely - I love it! My main advice is to consolidate your notes and work as you go - if your teachers are anything like mine, they'll give you a whole load of worksheets and no time to file them away properly, and it's a right pain in the a*** when you're trying to find that one piece of information about sodium pumps and you have a flurry of worksheets to go through. Write up the important info for when you need it.

And when it comes time to do those past papers that everyone swears by (with good reason - in biology and maths, they will s a v e y o u r l i f e), my main source is physicsandmathstutor. It doesn't just do physics and maths - there's biology past papers, and notes and flashcards for every module. Use them.
Reply 3
Original post by Jaegis
What grades are you predicted at gcse? That'll make it easier to see how difficult you'll find them. Also, just out of interest, do you have any ideas for degrees, future jobs, anything else?

I can't speak for economics or maths, but I'm doing biology (I'm in year 12 right now). It definitely is a step-up from gcse - gcse you can get away with memorisation, but a-level requires more in-depth understanding of the concepts. It's manageable though, definitely - I love it! My main advice is to consolidate your notes and work as you go - if your teachers are anything like mine, they'll give you a whole load of worksheets and no time to file them away properly, and it's a right pain in the a*** when you're trying to find that one piece of information about sodium pumps and you have a flurry of worksheets to go through. Write up the important info for when you need it.

And when it comes time to do those past papers that everyone swears by (with good reason - in biology and maths, they will s a v e y o u r l i f e), my main source is physicsandmathstutor. It doesn't just do physics and maths - there's biology past papers, and notes and flashcards for every module. Use them.

for biology i am predicted get an 8 at GCSE and personally i think I want to go on the route to being a radiographer and I’m a bit worried because i heard bio is pretty content heavy
Reply 4
Original post by Chowderzzz
I did A Level maths and only got a B as my CAG this summer. What I'd say about A Level Maths is you seriously need to put in the effort. I resat maths in Autumn because I needed an A. And tbh I don't think A Level Maths is even that hard.

My issue was that I rarely ever did the work properly as I was just gonna wait till the A Level Exams to do good in those. obvs that didn't happen coz of covid. So all in all, if you do the work for A Level Maths, I have no doubt you can do well in it.

Maths Genie is very good to learn the content and MadasMaths/Maths Made Easy are both very good for exam style Questions.

okay rn I won’t say maths is hard as long as I put some effort into it but I think the ultimate worry is actually the CAG grades as our school emphasise on the mocks this year due to the current situation. i think maths would be manageable but I was wondering if it requires a LOT of revision or is it one of the more bearable subjects ?
Reply 5
for biology i am predicted get an 8 at GCSE and personally i think I want to go on the route to being a radiographer and I’m a bit worried because i heard bio is pretty content heavy

Nice work at gcse so far! With that grade, you should be fine for biology. Yes, it's content-heavy, but so are all a-levels. Just like what was said earlier for maths, you will have to put the work in, but if you enjoy the subject (which I hope you do!) it'll be a lot easier. I'm not saying that "if you choose a subject you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life", but with an 8 at gcse and doing maths as well? You'll do fine - probably more than fine.
Reply 6

I only did A-Level Economics and that was 3 years ago now. It's a very content-heavy subject but nonetheless, I think it's a great subject to take even though I've personally struggled with the subject, persevered with it and scraped a Grade B in the end. Staying on top of current affairs is crucial - you want to keep an eye out especially for developments on Brexit and the current Covid-19 pandemic in particular. Read things like The Economist, the FT and if you're struggling for time but have an hour to spare each day, I recommend watching Channel 4 News every evening. In addition to this, I recommend getting Up Learn - it's a fantastic online revision resource for consolidating what you've learnt/to go over things you don't understand + do lots of exam and diagram practice! :smile:

I am doing A-Levels biology,chemistry,physics and maths.

From my experience I would say Biology is the most content heavy among the sciences...A lot of content and detail,however biology is not that hard to understand conceptually.Biology becomes harder from year 2 in my opinion.I felt like year 2 biology is more content-heavy.
Maths can also be self taught and you can still get top grades,so it isn't that hard.
Cannot tell about economics since I am not doing it.
My tip is to study things ahead (I have studied whole of my A-Levels during 5 months of lockdown before school even started and even though I am doing 4 A-Levels,I am still finding everything very manageable and fairly easy because you're going to attend lessons just to revise while everybody else is learning things for the first time).

What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing at uni?

Radiography
Original post by Jaegis
Radiography

You may have done this already but double check the unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they may require. Those subjects sound ok to me though.
Original post by Jaegis
Nice work at gcse so far! With that grade, you should be fine for biology. Yes, it's content-heavy, but so are all a-levels. Just like what was said earlier for maths, you will have to put the work in, but if you enjoy the subject (which I hope you do!) it'll be a lot easier. I'm not saying that "if you choose a subject you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life", but with an 8 at gcse and doing maths as well? You'll do fine - probably more than fine.

okay thank yo so much bcoz I was stressinf over my choices lol
Original post by Emma:-)
You may have done this already but double check the unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they may require. Those subjects sound ok to me though.

Okay thank you so much. I really appreciate ittt
Original post by Ąśh
I am doing A-Levels biology,chemistry,physics and maths.

From my experience I would say Biology is the most content heavy among the sciences...A lot of content and detail,however biology is not that hard to understand conceptually.Biology becomes harder from year 2 in my opinion.I felt like year 2 biology is more content-heavy.
Maths can also be self taught and you can still get top grades,so it isn't that hard.
Cannot tell about economics since I am not doing it.
My tip is to study things ahead (I have studied whole of my A-Levels during 5 months of lockdown before school even started and even though I am doing 4 A-Levels,I am still finding everything very manageable and fairly easy because you're going to attend lessons just to revise while everybody else is learning things for the first time).

okayyy thank you so much. I rly appreciate the advice
Okay thank you so much. I really appreciate ittt

Any time 👍

Quick Reply

Latest