The Student Room Group

Risk of redundancy

Have just been placed at risk of redundancy. Now the good thing is my employer wants to keep me on but in an alternative role. Only thing is I don't want to do this job anymore, and I know I should be greatful, but really want to move into something different, and take this as an opportunity to do so. What should I do? Should I accept the alternate role or tell my employer I want.to take the redundancy and do something else?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Have just been placed at risk of redundancy. Now the good thing is my employer wants to keep me on but in an alternative role. Only thing is I don't want to do this job anymore, and I know I should be greatful, but really want to move into something different, and take this as an opportunity to do so. What should I do? Should I accept the alternate role or tell my employer I want.to take the redundancy and do something else?

You gotta do what's best for you, it shouldn't matter if they have a got you a new role just say thanks but no thanks and move on :smile:
Reply 2
Redundancy can be an opportunity to make a change, sometimes with enough of a payment to give some thinking space. Weigh it up carefully, if there is a reasonable chance of finding a positive change go for it.

It depends if the industry you want to move into is affected by the pandemic or not. There are some fields at the minute where getting a job will be impossible and others that will be hiring.

If it’s a good time to move then move, if not you can take their offer for now and then leave when the world goes back to normal and get the job you want
Supermarkets are hiring like crazy now if you need a job in the short term until you find your ideal job.
Reply 5
Original post by IanDangerously
It depends if the industry you want to move into is affected by the pandemic or not. There are some fields at the minute where getting a job will be impossible and others that will be hiring.

If it’s a good time to move then move, if not you can take their offer for now and then leave when the world goes back to normal and get the job you want

Currently retail but want to move into office admin

Read up or get advice about redundancy, there are lots of rules that work in your favour and against, depending on the situation.

It would be more than usually foolish at the moment, to move on without another job to go to, so get applying like mad for another job.

At the same time, consider taking the new job. You get a period of time to try out a new role, and if you don't like it, to change your mind and take the redundancy. It's important that you find out what that time is. Even if you are pretty sure you don't want the alternative job, it gives you something like a month or 6 weeks more pay and tiem to job hunt.
Currently retail but want to move into office admin

There’s still jobs going on admin but there will be dozens (at least) people applying for every job at the minute so it might take a few weeks or months to find the right opportunity. If you’ve got enough money saved up it might be good to take the redundancy and just chill until you get the right job offer. :smile:
Original post by IanDangerously

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending