The Student Room Group

A level options

I'm thinking of taking chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths at A-Level. Can any year 12s or 13s advise me whether taking these subjects is a good idea, or should I just drop down to 3? I'm predicted a 9 in these subjects at GCSE btw.
I'm planning on studying either mechanical or aerospace engineering at uni.
(edited 3 years ago)
hi i am not in sixth form, i am in year 11, i feel it would be better for you to take 4 subjects as if you need to you can drop one further in the year if it is really not working out for you

however i have no idea about the subjects so cant really help with that

what kind of a job are you looking to get?
Reply 2
Original post by alfie0761254
I'm thinking of taking chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths at A-Level. Can any year 12s or 13s advise me whether taking these subjects is a good idea, or should I just drop down to 3? I'm predicted a 9 in these subjects at GCSE btw.

Looks good to me! I don't know how much you know about it, but regarding further maths, the way it works at my 6th form at least is that you cover the basic maths A-level in the first year, before moving onto the further maths part of the course. So it shouldn't be too hard to drop it without repercussions later on if it's really too much. Of course, you'll need it to be a competitive candidate (or it might even be essential, I don't know), but given you're predicted a 9 in maths (nice work!) you should be fine :smile:
Heya, I’m in year 12 now and I take maths, further maths, physics and economics. My college does it so that you take all four subjects over the two years and with further maths, maths has seemed really easy so far, basically only covering higher level GCSE content, so if you’re predicted 9s I don’t think you should struggle. Further maths has been challenging sometimes, but it does feel the most rewarding out of all of mine. Physics is also very maths based, for my exam board there’s a surprising amount of trig so far, so I think your options would be really good!
Original post by CeeJayStark
Heya, I’m in year 12 now and I take maths, further maths, physics and economics. My college does it so that you take all four subjects over the two years and with further maths, maths has seemed really easy so far, basically only covering higher level GCSE content, so if you’re predicted 9s I don’t think you should struggle. Further maths has been challenging sometimes, but it does feel the most rewarding out of all of mine. Physics is also very maths based, for my exam board there’s a surprising amount of trig so far, so I think your options would be really good!

Hey! Considering you’ve took both maths and further maths, I’m confused about whether i should take maths. I’m not terrible at it but I’m not incredibly smart. maybe a little above average. I really do enjoy doing maths but i just don’t know if it’ll work for me if I do it in a levels

Although I haven't done those subjects myself, they sound good for the courses you want to do at uni.
I'd recommend sticking with the 4 to start with. You could always drop down to 3 if you realise 4 is too much.

These A levels are perfect for mech eng/ aerospace.

further maths is the best prep possible for these degrees, physics & maths are pretty much required & chemistry is probably the most useful 4th A level.

Quick Reply

Latest