The Student Room Group

Could I lie about jury duty on my personal starement

So I really think like I need something to make my personal statement stand out (applying to Law). Currently all I’ve got is how I find law interesting, zero work experience or even study experience technically since I’m doing a humanities course. Now funny enough I was summoned to do jury duty when I turned 19 but it was cancelled due to covid. If I lie and still say I did it what’s the chance they’d find out? God I really wish covid didn’t cancel my jury duty now, it would look so good on a law personal statement and I was so close to actually having to do it!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I really think like I need something to make my personal statement stand out (applying to Law). Currently all I’ve got is how I find law interesting, zero work experience or even study experience technically since I’m doing a humanities course. Now funny enough I was summoned to do jury duty when I turned 19 but it was cancelled due to covid. If I lie and still say I did it what’s the chance they’d find out? God I really wish covid didn’t cancel my jury duty now, it would look so good on a law personal statement and I was so close to actually having to do it!!!

Lolololololololol.
Have you really thought this one through?
Are you intending to try and become a lawyer afterwards?
I would suggest that the risks of lying about this vastly outweigh the potential benefits.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Lolololololololol.

How would they honestly find out I didn’t really do it? They gonna phone up the courts? I prepared for my jury duty and everything just didn’t attend it cause of covid
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Lolololololololol.

Also it’s not a crime to lie on your personal statement if that’s what you’re implying with the whole lawyer comment lol
Also it’s not a crime to lie on your personal statement if that’s what you’re implying with the whole lawyer comment lol

Think you will find it is.Are you sure you really want a career in the legal profession? Its a fraud and you should read the statement you agree to as part of your application. Not likely to get caught, but if you feel the need to lie, then that would seem incompatible with studying law.
How would they honestly find out I didn’t really do it? They gonna phone up the courts? I prepared for my jury duty and everything just didn’t attend it cause of covid

Or alternatively, you could be honest but still talk about your jury duty. There is no problem in admitting that it was cancelled due to COVID-19 because you can still discuss how it made you feel and how you prepared for it.

Hiya,

You should never lie on your personal statement - part of the agreement you sign when your application is submitted is that you have told the truth. If you are asked to an interview, they will probably use your personal statement as a conversation point, and it will look very bad if they realise you are lying.

If possible, attend a court day as an audience member - this will count as some experience, and shows that you are dedicated. If you can't attend a court right now, choose some Law Journals to read and mention them on your personal statement - again, any extra work you do will show that you have a serious interest.

Have you thought about asking a local law-firm to provide you with advice/a mentor figure? This may provide you with some connections further down the line.

I hope that this helps!
-Lizzy.
Even if you had done jury duty, it wouldn't really help your PS. A law degree is an academic course, and you should focus talking about law from that perspective (rather than being a lawyer). Extra reading/online lectures etc. are better ways to show your interest.

If you did decide to lie about it, chances are that it would be obvious, as you would be making up what you gained from it anyway.
Mention it. You could focus on what you gained from it. It may even be a beneficial thing as well. Discuss skills etc too.
Depends on the uni, if they don't do interviews you will probably get away with it, however if they do interviews then it's risky

Original post by Interrobang
Even if you had done jury duty, it wouldn't really help your PS.

👆I mean.....
I laughed
You’ll make a fine lawyer...
I laughed because I found it funny wasn't being sarcastic 😂👌

Yes it is.
section 2 fraud act 2006
mention it and link it in but don’t say u went

Noooo don’t lie! There are other things you can do instead:

Read and buy a book (must read it if you’re mentioning)

Attend virtual events... unis have tons on at the moment and they incorporate aspects of law

Read law articles and normal news updates too

You don’t need legal experience at all. Use transferable skills from other stuff eg clubs societies non legal jobs... any that involve teamwork? Customer interaction? Etc

Hope that helps :-)
Tasha
Reply 18
if you’re that keen to demonstrate an interest in law by sitting in on a trial why not just watch a few trials at the Crown Court from the public gallery? think they might be open to the public but i would call ahead of time.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-courts-and-tribunals-planning-and-preparation

i agree that if you lied about jury trial it would be obvious as you wouldn’t be able to talk about it in a meaningful way and it may also be suspicious if you described being there during lockdown.
even if you mention attending the Crown Court and what you learned as a spectator tho your ps should still focus on academic law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending