The Student Room Group

How important is a gym membership?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but how necessary is a gym really?
I ask because I’m trying to save to buy a house and want to cut costs wherever possible. The gym membership fees, fuel for driving to the gym, it all adds up. Plus I’d like to do my bit for the planet and reduce my carbon footprint.

My goals are simply to be more healthy and to lose some bodyfat. My job and my studies mean that I sit at a desk all day so I need to be active. Currently I’m going for a 4-5 mile walk 4 times a week. I’m also doing kettlebell/clubbell/bodyweight circuits at home twice a week or so. I don’t have space for a bench or rack unfortunately.

I mainly go to the gym for cardio (bike, crosstrainer, swimming) but perhaps I could get the same benefits from a home gym.
Diet wise, I eat fairly well but there’s definitely things I can improve on. I’m also vegetarian.

What’s everybody else’s thoughts on this?

Thanks
Original post by oglez92
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but how necessary is a gym really?
I ask because I’m trying to save to buy a house and want to cut costs wherever possible. The gym membership fees, fuel for driving to the gym, it all adds up. Plus I’d like to do my bit for the planet and reduce my carbon footprint.

My goals are simply to be more healthy and to lose some bodyfat. My job and my studies mean that I sit at a desk all day so I need to be active. Currently I’m going for a 4-5 mile walk 4 times a week. I’m also doing kettlebell/clubbell/bodyweight circuits at home twice a week or so. I don’t have space for a bench or rack unfortunately.

I mainly go to the gym for cardio (bike, crosstrainer, swimming) but perhaps I could get the same benefits from a home gym.
Diet wise, I eat fairly well but there’s definitely things I can improve on. I’m also vegetarian.

Thanks

Roughly how long do you exercise each day? Because if you get the amount you need and it’s enough too then you won’t really need the gym membership.
Reply 2
Original post by Abi_Moon34
Roughly how long do you exercise each day? Because if you get the amount you need and it’s enough too then you won’t really need the gym membership.

It varies. The walk normally takes me 90 minutes, but that's at a low-mid intensity.
When I do my weights circuits, that's a lot more intense. I'm doing it interval style, 30 seconds on and 30seconds off for 20 minutes. I do aim to increase the duration to about 25 and then 30 minutes.
I walk 3-4 times a week, and do my weights circuit 2 days a week
(edited 3 years ago)
I only do cardio (cycling, running, walking, etc...), and have no use for a gym. I've got a fairly cheap exercise bike which has served me very well over the last 5 or so years.

I'm only really interested in living longer, I feel the gym is mostly for aesthetics if someone is young. After a certain age, strength training becomes mandatory, but I'm nowhere near that age yet, haha.
Original post by oglez92
It varies. The walk normally takes me 90 minutes, but that's at a low-mid intensity.
When I do my weights circuits, that's a lot more intense. I'm doing it interval style, 30 seconds on and 30seconds off for 20 minutes. I do aim to increase the duration to about 25 and then 30 minutes.
I walk 3-4 times a week, and do my weights circuit 2 days a week

I see, you use the gym membership a lot too. Are there any other payment plans at your gym that could be cheaper? If you cancel your membership, I suppose you would have to workout at home and maybe get equipment? Sorry hope that helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by oglez92
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Can pay per session be cheaper? You can take up running to get your cardio and maybe go swimming 1-2x per week?
Stop driving to the gym and save on fuel for starters.
Reply 7
Original post by Abi_Moon34
I see, you use the gym membership a lot too. Are there any other payment plans at your gym that could be cheaper? If you cancel your membership, I suppose you would have to workout at home and maybe get equipment? Sorry hope that helps.

I should have been more clear. I paid for my membership up front a while back, but because of the pandemic my membership still valid until June of next year. It would be around £300 a year if I pay up front. I have weights here that I can use.. I'd need to reinvest every now and then to make sure I'm still making progress but I'm sure that would be cheaper than a gym membership
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad
Stop driving to the gym and save on fuel for starters.

The gyms 6 miles away. Not exactly within walking distance
Reply 9
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
Can pay per session be cheaper? You can take up running to get your cardio and maybe go swimming 1-2x per week?

There isn't an option at the gym I go to. In fact there isn't really any in the area that have a PAYG option.
Original post by oglez92
The gyms 6 miles away. Not exactly within walking distance

You could try getting a bike? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by oglez92
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Gym membership is very important to me.

I despise this lockdown. Before it I was going 5 nights a week.

I don't have the space nor equipment to get the same workout at home.
I am very pleased gyms will be reopening in a few days time..
Original post by oglez92
I should have been more clear. I paid for my membership up front a while back, but because of the pandemic my membership still valid until June of next year. It would be around £300 a year if I pay up front. I have weights here that I can use.. I'd need to reinvest every now and then to make sure I'm still making progress but I'm sure that would be cheaper than a gym membership

Ah okay that makes more sense. Yeah it would be difficult to keep track on your own but you could possibly download apps that could track your progress or get a notepad and track on there. But if it doesn’t work well you could still go to the gym until June then cancel the membership I guess?
Reply 13
Original post by Rufus the red
You could try getting a bike? :smile:

It's an option yeah. Definitely! That would be a good alternative to the gym. It looks like the area I've just moved to is pretty cycle friendly
Reply 14
Original post by ANM775
Gym membership is very important to me.

I despise this lockdown. Before it I was going 5 nights a week.

I don't have the space nor equipment to get the same workout at home.
I am very pleased gyms will be reopening in a few days time..

That sucks :frown:

Do you feel there's a social aspect to being in the gym?
Reply 15
Original post by oglez92
That sucks :frown:

Do you feel there's a social aspect to being in the gym?

no and yes.

I live in a town. I go on average 5 days a week, at around the same time each day. 80% of the people I see there are regulars. Most of them chat to each other and seem quite pally with each other. I haven't really made any effort with them tbh and tend to keep to myself ...but there's a social aspect if you go looking for it.... depending on your gym

when i lived in london, i probably went to the gym around 3 times a week at the same time. i saw less regulars, and i didn't often see people chatting with each other..
As important as you deem it to be
Reply 17
A gym is only really "essential" for heavy lifting.

Anything else can be done from home imo.

Especially cardio, just go for run / cycle / walk. Or just find some workout routine on the internet and follow that.
Original post by zKlown
A gym is only really "essential" for heavy lifting.

Anything else can be done from home imo.

Especially cardio, just go for run / cycle / walk. Or just find some workout routine on the internet and follow that.

Yeah but at home people get lazy and keep pushing it back. At least when you go to the gym, you'll actually do something.
Reply 19
Original post by TheEileen
Yeah but at home people get lazy and keep pushing it back. At least when you go to the gym, you'll actually do something.

Of course, but if you have the correct motivation, you can do it from home.

To me, it makes no sense to sign up to a gym, just to use a treadmill.

Quick Reply

Latest