The Student Room Group

Anyone else hates cooking?

Most the things I cook don't turn out too well, I am fed up with constantly eating crappy food. I just dread dinner time as I never know what to cook. I have tried so many different recipes. It has got to the point where I would happily substitute snacks for a proper dinner, but I know that it isn't healthy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Practice makes perfect
I don't hate to cook foods (just prepared a self-made calzone), on the contrary! I like it. Of course there were recipes they did not turn out well, but I made it better next time then. Apart from those, most of the things I cooked were good. Not in the sense of a starred chef, but good in taste in any case!
Original post by SMEGGGY
Practice makes perfect

I have been cooking for the past 7 years now.
most of the time, yes. i’m lazy and super impatient, would much rather stick something in the microwave for 5 minutes.
Keep going
Buy a airfryer
Original post by SMEGGGY
Practice makes perfect

That is exactly what I have been saying to people who need to enourage instead of being frustrated, if a food didn't well.
Cooking is boring and your creation lasts for like half an hour. B****y waste of time. I'm actually quite good at cooking, I just hate it.
Original post by tinygirl96
Keep going
Buy a airfryer

Instant pot > air fryer.
Do you cook food that you like to eat? :smile:
yes
I don’t hate cooking in the sense that I don’t like it, but I am very impatient and lazy so I don’t like waiting about for the food to cook. I’d much rather someone else cooked for me because then at least I could be doing something else to pass the time.

I like baking though, when I have free time and the right ingredients.
Original post by summerberry19
Do you cook food that you like to eat? :smile:

Yes, but it doesn't come out like it should so it doesn't taste great.
I'm the opposite, I love cooking and most of my meals turn out well. A good website for recipes is simplyrecipes.com where I found a great persian recipe called fesenjoon and a peanut butter curry. Can you describe a meal you did, maybe I can see where it went wrong?
Original post by chopingirl
I'm the opposite, I love cooking and most of my meals turn out well. A good website for recipes is simplyrecipes.com where I found a great persian recipe called fesenjoon and a peanut butter curry. Can you describe a meal you did, maybe I can see where it went wrong?

I love fesenjoon too :five:
Original post by Anonymous1502
Yes, but it doesn't come out like it should so it doesn't taste great.

Oh right. Perhaps you pull start off buying readymade sauces and just adding things that you like to them?
Most the things I cook don't turn out too well, I am fed up with constantly eating crappy food. I just dread dinner time as I never know what to cook. I have tried so many different recipes. It has got to the point where I would happily substitute snacks for a proper dinner, but I know that it isn't healthy.

aaaaw, poor guy. Mate, I'm even worse, I just don't get recipes :eek: WTF I think. Just take simpler foods then, simple. 2 basic meals (like cereals, bread/bakery etc) and one solid cooked/prepared meal is all you really need in the day (and ofc maybe a snack or two) :wink:.
Original post by summerberry19
Oh right. Perhaps you pull start off buying readymade sauces and just adding things that you like to them?

Ready made sauces are a bit pricey. I have no idea what I like anymore I don’t know what veg to buy and what combination of veg is good.
Ready made sauces are a bit pricey. I have no idea what I like anymore I don’t know what veg to buy and what combination of veg is good.

Vegetable curry is easiest I reckon mate, least complicated. With vegetables, u just have to cook them up tbh to get taste out of them.

Potatoes, Iceland sliced peppers (so u don't have to slice email up urself as obviously we hate being in kitchen for time), birds eye mixed vegetables steam bags (broccoli, carrots, sweetcorn), spinach.
Cook 4 days worth of Lunch vegetable curry this way easily (with brown rice with it). That's Lunch sorted for 4 days straight.
You can just have something simple for breakfast and Dinner, e.g. cereals, bread/bakery, bagels, crisps, fruits etc.
What I do, hate cooking also. Get tired easily here and don't like standing up or doing dishes etc. Hate it.
Original post by Anonymous370
Vegetable curry is easiest I reckon mate, least complicated. With vegetables, u just have to cook them up tbh to get taste out of them.

Potatoes, Iceland sliced peppers (so u don't have to slice email up urself as obviously we hate being in kitchen for time), birds eye mixed vegetables steam bags (broccoli, carrots, sweetcorn), spinach.
Cook 4 days worth of Lunch vegetable curry this way easily (with brown rice with it). That's Lunch sorted for 4 days straight.
You can just have something simple for breakfast and Dinner, e.g. cereals, bread/bakery, bagels, crisps, fruits etc.
What I do, hate cooking also. Get tired easily here and don't like standing up or doing dishes etc. Hate it.

PRSOM thank you very much for your suggestion.

Quick Reply

Latest