The Student Room Group

Parents keep thinking im depressed

A few weeks ago my parents gave me a booklet thing and just recommended have a browse round it. I checked and basically long story short they thought I was depressed. This kind upset me that they just made that assumption and I kind of had an altercation with them about it.

There's nothing wrong with how I feel if anything im feeling good, im quite happy where I'm at in life in general right now the only thing I have been annoyed about is lockdown and the restrictions just because im bored at home. Everything is good, its just the thats im not happy with atm and its getting lifted anyway. I was really hurt how my parents came up with m an adult as well, im independent because im actually in the process of moving out into a brand new house that's currently being built then im moving out of my parents house so what im trying to say is I don't need my parents treating me like a child.

It was all fine till a few days ago, i was just sat on the sofa on my phone, they came in saying is everything OK and if I am depressed I'm welcome to see anyone at the doctors. I have told them I'm fine and im not depressed yet they keep suggesting I am but I'm fine. I got annoyed with them so walked out and drove off somewhere. Im an adult, I don’t need them looking after me all the time and I don't need them jumping to conclusions like that. Its not like there is anything wrong with being depressed but I am just not and I get offended that my parents think I am just because im not...

Scroll to see replies

Parents will always think of their children as children. And obviously they think you perhaps don’t seem like yourself and are showing signs that could be depression.
I think it’s good that they are looking out for you and trying to help-even if you think you’re not depressed. You shouldn’t be offended by it.
Talk to them calmly about it , thank them for being concerned and explain that you feel it doesn’t match what you’re feeling just now.
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Parents will always think of their children as children. And obviously they think you perhaps don’t seem like yourself and are showing signs that could be depression.
I think it’s good that they are looking out for you and trying to help-even if you think you’re not depressed. You shouldn’t be offended by it.
Talk to them calmly about it , thank them for being concerned and explain that you feel it doesn’t match what you’re feeling just now.

I'm not a child
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not a child

You’re their child.
Reply 4
You’re their child.

I'm their adult son
I'm their adult son

And also still their child... what aren’t you getting from this. They will always see you as their child-all parents do. They just care about you.
Reply 6
And also still their child... what aren’t you getting from this. They will always see you as their child-all parents do. They just care about you.

I was their child before I turned 18 but im an adult now
I was their child before I turned 18 but im an adult now

Cambridge definition: a boy or girl from the time of birth until he or she is an adult, or a son or daughter of any age
Reply 8
Cambridge definition: a boy or girl from the time of birth until he or she is an adult, or a son or daughter of any age

Even if I am, im not a child, I might be their child but im still an adult and it's like when my grandparents were here they wouldn't have treated my mum or my uncles like a child
better to have parents who care (like yours) than parents who don’t give a sh*t and are the cause of depression.
Even if I am, im not a child, I might be their child but im still an adult and it's like when my grandparents were here they wouldn't have treated my mum or my uncles like a child

They are concerned that you are not well it doesn’t matter what age you are-this is a nice thing for them to do.
They are concerned that you are not well it doesn’t matter what age you are-this is a nice thing for them to do.

If I was depressed I would say guys im a bit upset
Original post by MadameRazz
better to have parents who care (like yours) than parents who don’t give a sh*t and are the cause of depression.

Everyone's parents give a **** about their sons or daughters

very inaccurate statement there bud.

Soooooo not true!!
If I was depressed I would say guys im a bit upset

That’s fine, so you do what I said in my first post and have a calm conversation about it thanking them for being concerned but explain that you are ok...
That’s fine, so you do what I said in my first post and have a calm conversation about it thanking them for being concerned but explain that you are ok...

Ok
Soooooo not true!!

Most peoples parents then
Original post by MadameRazz
very inaccurate statement there bud.

Most parents do, do yours car about you?
A few weeks ago my parents gave me a booklet thing and just recommended have a browse round it. I checked and basically long story short they thought I was depressed. This kind upset me that they just made that assumption and I kind of had an altercation with them about it.

There's nothing wrong with how I feel if anything im feeling good, im quite happy where I'm at in life in general right now the only thing I have been annoyed about is lockdown and the restrictions just because im bored at home. Everything is good, its just the thats im not happy with atm and its getting lifted anyway. I was really hurt how my parents came up with m an adult as well, im independent because im actually in the process of moving out into a brand new house that's currently being built then im moving out of my parents house so what im trying to say is I don't need my parents treating me like a child.

It was all fine till a few days ago, i was just sat on the sofa on my phone, they came in saying is everything OK and if I am depressed I'm welcome to see anyone at the doctors. I have told them I'm fine and im not depressed yet they keep suggesting I am but I'm fine. I got annoyed with them so walked out and drove off somewhere. Im an adult, I don’t need them looking after me all the time and I don't need them jumping to conclusions like that. Its not like there is anything wrong with being depressed but I am just not and I get offended that my parents think I am just because im not...

My parents do a similar thing. If I don’t get dressed and sit on the sofa all day I’m lazy, when I’m really just tired and I dare to correct them as they’ll come up with all these reasons why I should be more active (even though I dance 15 hours a week).

anyway my point is you’re not alone and if you’re moving out then you won’t have to deal with it as much. So try and let it go, it won’t last forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending