The Student Room Group

My breakup, what do I do next?

So about 2 months ago, I decided to end my relationship with my first love after 6 months. I just found myself being unhappy in the relationship. I was fully honest with my partner, and said I can no longer see us as a couple. I never wanted him out of my life, he was still very dear to me. It hurt me so much having to walk away, he felt hurt too and he very much gave me the impression he never wanted anything to do with me again. It didn’t feel any better as the weeks went on.

I wish things could have been different for us, I had hoped we would be friends or at least civil to one another. It’s my first relationship, and I tried to make it work, we were good friends before we decided to become boyfriend and girlfriend. I understand my partner would have been hurt, even though, I remained honest and respectful.
In truth, I wish him well whatever he does. But I honestly don’t know what to do next? He is constantly on my mind, even when I become distracted by keeping busy. Why am I still holding on to that hope that one day he will be able to look me in the eye and say “hello”?
Original post by Anonymous
So about 2 months ago, I decided to end my relationship with my first love after 6 months. I just found myself being unhappy in the relationship. I was fully honest with my partner, and said I can no longer see us as a couple. I never wanted him out of my life, he was still very dear to me. It hurt me so much having to walk away, he felt hurt too and he very much gave me the impression he never wanted anything to do with me again. It didn’t feel any better as the weeks went on.

I wish things could have been different for us, I had hoped we would be friends or at least civil to one another. It’s my first relationship, and I tried to make it work, we were good friends before we decided to become boyfriend and girlfriend. I understand my partner would have been hurt, even though, I remained honest and respectful.
In truth, I wish him well whatever he does. But I honestly don’t know what to do next? He is constantly on my mind, even when I become distracted by keeping busy. Why am I still holding on to that hope that one day he will be able to look me in the eye and say “hello”?

How old are you both?
I had essays outsanding longer than that.

The normal advice is cut all contact as that is the fastest way to heal and move on. There is obviously some unhappiness/ resentment on his part so let it go. From what you say you had good reason to quit.

Start looking forward, remind yourself why you left if you have to, but learn from it and focus on your studies. In the future he might come round, but thats for him to deal with and I cant see based on what you say you dealt with him harshly.

Focus on you, your studies and then if you have time later there might be room for another bf. All part of life. You made the right choice.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How old are you both?
I had essays outsanding longer than that.

The normal advice is cut all contact as that is the fastest way to heal and move on. There is obviously some unhappiness/ resentment on his part so let it go. From what you say you had good reason to quit.

Start looking forward, remind yourself why you left if you have to, but learn from it and focus on your studies. In the future he might come round, but thats for him to deal with and I cant see based on what you say you dealt with him harshly.

Focus on you, your studies and then if you have time later there might be room for another bf. All part of life. You made the right choice.

I am 19, approaching 20, he has just turned 24. So we are both still very young.
I’m not his first girlfriend, he has been rejected before. I have yet to experience it.
To stop us from hurting each other more, and to focus on our own self healing I decided to block him from all social media, I can understand from his perspective that would seem a different intention entirely. The problem is how much I still care for him, it’s not easy living life differently to what I was so use to, it’s like starting a fresh.

But for me to reach out after I blocked him, would only seem like twisting the knife, I would like to give him time to heal in case our paths cross again, but I cannot wait forever for it. So it seems I’m left with no other alternative. No matter how much I would like for us to get back in contact.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 19, approaching 20, he has just turned 24. So we are both still very young.
I’m not his first girlfriend, he has been rejected before. I have yet to experience it.
To stop us from hurting each other more, and to focus on our own self healing I decided to block him from all social media, I can understand from his perspective that would seem a different intention entirely. The problem is how much I still care for him, it’s not easy living life differently to what I was so use to, it’s like starting a fresh.

But for me to reach out after I blocked him, would only seem like twisting the knife, I would like to give him time to heal in case our paths cross again, but I cannot wait forever for it. So it seems I’m left with no other alternative. No matter how much I would like for us to get back in contact.

Hes p[robably best left to his own devices. he could still be resentful. You cna help him best by letting him get on and also sorting yourself out. If he was making you unhappy and it couldnt be sorted, then absolutely get out. There will be other girls for him. Try and not be too dramatic. You can always check on him via a friend or his mum, tbh Id just leave him to it as you will confuse the message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending