The Student Room Group

UCAS reference

I read over my references from my teachers the other day and they basically split it into 3 sections ( one for each subject ) and then a final conclusion . in 3/4 of the sections thy have mentioned me being anxious and made comments such as " I reccomend her for higher education course if she manages her anxiety ) do you think there is a reason they have mentioned this ? I haven't put it in my declaration because I don't actually have a diagnosis but they can't not accept me because of anxiety right ? Therefore I'm slightly confused why it was mentioned ( at all ) especially as it seemed to dominate my reference. Anyone got any clues why ?
Tell them to remove that. They should be trying their best to guarantee you an offer by showing your strengths, not your faults. U got this 👍
Reply 2
I don't know if I'm allowed to just tell them to remove it am I as it's their part. That's what I thought , it's not the most positive light to put on me and thank you .
(edited 3 years ago)
Fair point. I guess try discussing it with them anyways. I really don’t see why they’d feel the need to mention that in your reference.
Reply 4
yeah that's what I'm confused about and came to here for . I wasn't sure if they are told to mention it or something but it just seems a bit rude tbh . They should be basing my acceptance on my academics surely
Original post by purplepasta
I read over my references from my teachers the other day and they basically split it into 3 sections ( one for each subject ) and then a final conclusion . in 3/4 of the sections thy have mentioned me being anxious and made comments such as " I reccomend her for higher education course if she manages her anxiety ) do you think there is a reason they have mentioned this ? I haven't put it in my declaration because I don't actually have a diagnosis but they can't not accept me because of anxiety right ? Therefore I'm slightly confused why it was mentioned ( at all ) especially as it seemed to dominate my reference. Anyone got any clues why ?

You shouldn't be reading your reference.
My guess is they mentioned it because they believe it to be true.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
You shouldn't be reading your reference.
My guess is they mentioned it because they believe it to be true.

Is it not normal to read your reference ? In my college they read it out to you and check you are happy with your predicted grades ? and yes it may be true but I'm wondering is there a reason why it's neccesary to mention as surely unis can't turn you away due to mental health difficulties ? seems a bit ableist
Original post by purplepasta
Is it not normal to read your reference ? In my college they read it out to you and check you are happy with your predicted grades ? and yes it may be true but I'm wondering is there a reason why it's neccesary to mention as surely unis can't turn you away due to mental health difficulties ? seems a bit ableist

The whole reason UCAS doesnt show you is so they can give an impartial reference.
It sounds like your college is just playing the system.

Im not sure on wether anxiety should or shouldn't be mentioned tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending