The Student Room Group

What are Mickey Mouse degrees?

Also is business and marketing one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine is a Mickey Mouse ? I thought MM degree was a useless degree?
Original post by Tashax2

Mickey Mouse degrees are degrees that are 'useless' so degrees with no proper or good job prospects at the end. E.g: Media is considered one. I think some may business but it depends what you combine it with (i would recommend combing as business by itself is vague). Marketing is perhaps not the most desired one to combine with but if thats what you are interested in go for it. You are still going to get a job at the end it is employable if that is what you are worried about.
degrees in Disney
Reply 4
Original post by something_orphic
Mickey Mouse degrees are degrees that are 'useless' so degrees with no proper or good job prospects at the end. E.g: Media is considered one. I think some may business but it depends what you combine it with (i would recommend combing as business by itself is vague). Marketing is perhaps not the most desired one to combine with but if thats what you are interested in go for it. You are still going to get a job at the end it is employable if that is what you are worried about.

Yeah I’ve got a fairly specific career in mind after it and the career prospects are really good,, is politics a MM degree?
Original post by Tashax2
Yeah I’ve got a fairly specific career in mind after it and the career prospects are really good,, is politics a MM degree?

No it is not aha. It is pretty employable. Lots go into the civil service, government related jobs, analyst sorta jobs, HR, marketing. It is pretty versatile.
Viking studies

There needs to be a chicken nuggets degree ffs and the selection process should include a test to see how many chicken nuggets you can eat in 5 mins and if it’s over 3074 then you get in
There’s no such thing, it’s just used to bash humanities and social science degrees.
Reply 9
Gender studies, viking studies etc. Such degrees aren't considered mickey mouse because of the importance of the content, mainly because its useless to pay £9.25k a Yr to study them, when you can do it yourself. Unis love them because it costs them peanuts to teach, which means a lot of profit.

No such thing as a mickey mouse degree if youre studying for the enjoyment of it. But paying £9.25k per Yr is daylight robbery for these courses.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by normanis
There’s no such thing, it’s just used to bash humanities and social science degrees.

I feel like it is a bit mean labelling them Mickey mouse degrees but some degrees really dont have a lot of career prospects other than teaching or poorly paid work so people do need to know what they are getting themselves into. Geography and other humanities/social sciences are still respected.
Reply 11
Original post by something_orphic
I feel like it is a bit mean labelling them Mickey mouse degrees but some degrees really dont have a lot of career prospects other than teaching or poorly paid work so people do need to know what they are getting themselves into. Geography and other humanities/social sciences are still respected.

This idea that one must study only because it leads to a career is dangerous to academia in general. Of course, if you must go to uni because you want to enter a specific field (dentistry, med etc) then you have to go through the course, but studying for the enjoyment of it is still valid. But paying £9.25k for it is the uni basically abusing your interest in the subject to make a financial gain.
It’s a term that insecure people use.
(edited 3 years ago)
It’s a term to describe degrees that do not have much real world application and thus career prospects. If you have to explain what you plan to do with your degree all the time then it’s maybe one.

I used to think that learning should be for its own sake but having been underemployed and broke for a long time, I would say career prospects matter a lot more than you think.
Are you looking to get into politics? then do law or even science.
Original post by Tashax2

Mickey Mouse degrees are irrelevant degrees people do that do not directly link to an occupation or the mere existence of the degree itself is pointless as the skills can be acquired somewhere else.

Although I know a lot of people will disagree, I think there’s no point doing degrees in drama, art, music, business - because the skills you will acquire from these type of degrees can be easily achieved by training in a company and working for them, you don’t need to do a 3 year degree to learn how to act when you can work for a theatre company and gain tonnes of experience.

Just a thought. Save yourself thousands of pounds and endless student debt from both tuition and maintenance and do a degree apprenticeship or something if a degree is absolutely essential.

I’m doing a degree apprenticeship with a pharma company, I study part time for an Applied Bioscience degree at Kent (delivered online) and work as a scientist in the UK’s largest medicine company. Best choice I ever made, it’s not for people who haven’t decided what they want to do, I knew what I wanted to do so I picked it
Original post by User135792468
Mickey Mouse degrees are irrelevant degrees people do that do not directly link to an occupation or the mere existence of the degree itself is pointless as the skills can be acquired somewhere else.

Although I know a lot of people will disagree, I think there’s no point doing degrees in drama, art, music, business - because the skills you will acquire from these type of degrees can be easily achieved by training in a company and working for them, you don’t need to do a 3 year degree to learn how to act when you can work for a theatre company and gain tonnes of experience.

Just a thought. Save yourself thousands of pounds and endless student debt from both tuition and maintenance and do a degree apprenticeship or something if a degree is absolutely essential.

I’m doing a degree apprenticeship with a pharma company, I study part time for an Applied Bioscience degree at Kent (delivered online) and work as a scientist in the UK’s largest medicine company. Best choice I ever made, it’s not for people who haven’t decided what they want to do, I knew what I wanted to do so I picked it

Have you watched TV recently? Seen a film lately? Played a video game? Read a book? A magazine? Used the internet and visited literally any website in existence? Listened to any music? Turned on the radio?

Then you've been enjoying the fruits of the labour of actors, artists, graphic designers, writers, musicians, and all other manner of creative arts industry workers. An industry which contributes £13 million pounds to the UK's economy every hour.

And I'll think you would find, had you even a shred of creative ability to even have the tiniest inkling of exploring the sector yourself, that just waltzing up to some hollywood media production, multimillion pound game developer, international magazine, etc, without any relevant qualifications or experience outside of "I think I'm good at this" will get you laughed out of the door very quickly. They expect people applying for those jobs to have mastered the necessary technical skills at the absolute minimum before they apply to the job, and will also expect to see that they've put these to use in a variety of projects to form a portfolio, demo reel, etc, that demonstrates their abilities to apply these technical skills in a creative way fitting a variety of different contexts and client briefs.

Just because you lack the imagination to do something that isn't an entirely prescriptive and predictable career trajectory doesn't mean other people shouldn't or can't.
Reply 17
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you watched TV recently? Seen a film lately? Played a video game? Read a book? A magazine? Used the internet and visited literally any website in existence? Listened to any music? Turned on the radio?

Then you've been enjoying the fruits of the labour of actors, artists, graphic designers, writers, musicians, and all other manner of creative arts industry workers. An industry which contributes £13 million pounds to the UK's economy every hour.

And I'll think you would find, had you even a shred of creative ability to even have the tiniest inkling of exploring the sector yourself, that just waltzing up to some hollywood media production, multimillion pound game developer, international magazine, etc, without any relevant qualifications or experience outside of "I think I'm good at this" will get you laughed out of the door very quickly. They expect people applying for those jobs to have mastered the necessary technical skills at the absolute minimum before they apply to the job, and will also expect to see that they've put these to use in a variety of projects to form a portfolio, demo reel, etc, that demonstrates their abilities to apply these technical skills in a creative way fitting a variety of different contexts and client briefs.

Just because you lack the imagination to do something that isn't an entirely prescriptive and predictable career trajectory doesn't mean other people shouldn't or can't.

What a juvenile and idiotic response! You think walking in with a Bachelor in Drama from University of Chichester is suddenly going to make you an attractive employee? Think again. Nobody goes to interviews and says “I think I’m good at this” - they talk about their previous experience and the transferable skills between their last job and the job they want. You must be still a child if you think a university degree is an entry ticket into employment. Degrees mean nothing, everyone can do degrees.

Let’s say you did get a drama degree from the university of Chichester, do you expect to walk in with your diploma and be directly handed roles in a Hollywood film? Your expectations are far from reality if you really think that is going to happen.

At the end of the day these art or drama degrees are worthless without industry experience, so I question the need for a degree in the first place. Please do elaborate on what “technical training” do actors get from university that they can’t get from employment in a theatre company? They are literally reading out what’s given to them on a piece of paper - and over time they will master the skill of acting and act in a way that is more realistic and engaging with the audience.

I feel as though you’re one of the people who did a worthless degree and you don’t like when someone criticises your choices in life.
Original post by User135792468
What a juvenile and idiotic response! You think walking in with a Bachelor in Drama from University of Chichester is suddenly going to make you an attractive employee? Think again. Nobody goes to interviews and says “I think I’m good at this” - they talk about their previous experience and the transferable skills between their last job and the job they want. You must be still a child if you think a university degree is an entry ticket into employment. Degrees mean nothing, everyone can do degrees.

Let’s say you did get a drama degree from the university of Chichester, do you expect to walk in with your diploma and be directly handed roles in a Hollywood film? Your expectations are far from reality if you really think that is going to happen.

At the end of the day these art or drama degrees are worthless without industry experience, so I question the need for a degree in the first place. Please do elaborate on what “technical training” do actors get from university that they can’t get from employment in a theatre company? They are literally reading out what’s given to them on a piece of paper - and over time they will master the skill of acting and act in a way that is more realistic and engaging with the audience.

I feel as though you’re one of the people who did a worthless degree and you don’t like when someone criticises your choices in life.

This is the same speech my cousin gives for why acting is important. And it is but that doesn’t mean that most of the people studying it will get to contribute or share it in its glory or profits.

My cousin is an actor. He worked with a theatre co for a couple of years and is now doing it at uni. £9k plus a whole bunch of other debts isn’t good for a recovering drug addict but we shall see how that pans out. Suffice to say he has borrowed/stolen from every member of the family so we have cameras inside the house which we switch on when he visits (just for his visits). My grandma installed a safe in her council to hide her limited valuables. His dad is living in poverty but always lends his son £100 when he does his weekly visit.

But it’s ok. Because we all get to pay once or twice a year to see a play he is in (at our own expense) and then have to pretend that we were happy to pay all that money to be bored stiffless for 1.5 hours. All on the hope that one day he might be part of a good production and all this has been worth it. Time will tell. But I’m basically not considering him a success until he can be trusted not to take anything from my grandmas house when he visits.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending