The Student Room Group

Girls, Would you date a hairdresser?

I'm thinking of becoming a hair stylist/hairdresser.
I'm a straight guy.

I hate Uni, I really do.. I tried working construction and that just wasn't for me.

I want to do something I enjoy (obviously), I want to work with my hands and I want to be creative in my work.
Hairdressing ticks all those boxes for me.

I'm just a little worried as to how that will affect my dating life.
I can't imagine it being seen as attractive..

What do you think?
Would you date a guy who's a hairdresser?
Not necessarily your hairdresser, but if a guy told you he was a hairdresser would it change anything between you two?

I mean I don't even know how my parents will react, I don't seem like the type who'd go into that field..

Scroll to see replies

It would be quite handy
Not gonna lie I would think gay boy.
You will be constructing peoples hair, it changes lives so no it would be fine.
Original post by Anonymous
Not gonna lie I would think gay boy.

Only jk. Do whatever you want to do and what makes you happy. Girls will be more bothered about your personality and looks.
Reply 5
Only jk. Do whatever you want to do and what makes you happy. Girls will be more bothered about your personality and looks.

I mean it's kinda a fair point, if I saw a guy working in a salon I'd assume he's gay, weirdly I never assume my barber is gay.

I think I'm overthinking this, if I got paid to do that I could retire tomorrow.
Reply 6
Original post by YaliaV123
It would be quite handy

I've mentioned it to a few female friends of mine and they've all said (to the other girls) 'awh could you imagine having someone blow-dry your hair for you!?'
I mean it's kinda a fair point, if I saw a guy working in a salon I'd assume he's gay, weirdly I never assume my barber is gay.

I think I'm overthinking this, if I got paid to do that I could retire tomorrow.

Do you present yourself as stereotypical straight guy? Or closer to a stereotypical gay guy?
Reply 8
Do you present yourself as stereotypical straight guy? Or closer to a stereotypical gay guy?

I've never been mistaken for a guy guy, I've a deep(ish) voice and I shave my head.
But I also don't care for football and I take care of my appearance.

I think I just seem like a normal guy, I'm not overly flamboyant nor am I some macho ball of testosterone
I've never been mistaken for a guy guy, I've a deep(ish) voice and I shave my head.

I think I just seem like a normal guy, I'm not overly flamboyant nor am I some macho ball of testosterone

I also don't really like football and I also make sure I'm looking good and I'm as straight as a ruler.

Great in that case girls won't think you are gay and it shouldn't effect your dating life.

I always find it hilarious when I see barbers with a shaved/bald head. Like you cut and style other guys hair but have none yourself. :biggrin:

Ever though about becoming a barber? Or do you prefer cutting predominantly women's hair?
yeah
Original post by benrobertson
I always find it hilarious when I see barbers with a shaved/bald head. Like you cut and style other guys hair but have none yourself. :biggrin:

Ever though about becoming a barber? Or do you prefer cutting predominantly women's hair?

Yeah it’s a bit of a weird one alright!
I mean I started going bald quite young so I haven’t got much of a choice, I’d rather shave it, plus I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on it.

I was originally thinking of becoming a barber but I think hairdressing would be a better fit.
Barbering seems to be more quantity over quality, like you’ve got a certain standard and it’s just about churning out as many haircuts as you can at that standard..
Plus it’s less creative, every guy (bar me!) gets some version of the same haircut, it’s a narrower skill set.
There’s no colouring, or layering..
Just fading.

Hairdressing seems to have a higher skill ceiling, there’s more to learn and it just seems more challenging.
There’s colouring, styling, and a lot more variation in the cuts.
Plus it pays better!
Yeah it’s a bit of a weird one alright!
I mean I started going bald quite young so I haven’t got much of a choice, I’d rather shave it, plus I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on it.

I was originally thinking of becoming a barber but I think hairdressing would be a better fit.
Barbering seems to be more quantity over quality, like you’ve got a certain standard and it’s just about churning out as many haircuts as you can at that standard..
Plus it’s less creative, every guy (bar me!) gets some version of the same haircut, it’s a narrower skill set.
There’s no colouring, or layering..
Just fading.

Hairdressing seems to have a higher skill ceiling, there’s more to learn and it just seems more challenging.
There’s colouring, styling, and a lot more variation in the cuts.
Plus it pays better!

Fair play to you mate if your getting compliments from girls about your shaved head. I don't think you are going to struggle getting dates.

I agree that giving fades all day must be boring and that you can make much more money from hairdressing. I think a lot of girls would be pleased that you can cut their hair for them so they don't have to pay for a hairdresser which can be expensive.
I would. Both of my parents are hairdressers.
Original post by sunny.side.up
I would. Both of my parents are hairdressers.

No prizes for guessing how they met.
No prizes for guessing how they met.

Take your guess :smug:
Take your guess :smug:

Yes they met at a salon.
Yes they met at a salon.

Nope. :biggrin: They met at hair school.
Nope. :biggrin: They met at hair school.

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending