The Student Room Group

physics question

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Eimmanuel
What have you done?

I have equated work done equation and kinetic energy equation and am not sure what to do from their.
Original post by aominedaiki
I have equated work done equation and kinetic energy equation and am not sure what to do from their.

What are you supposed to find?
What are you given?
Reply 4
What are you supposed to find?
What are you given?

It says in the question if you scroll up it gives you the different information.
It says in the question if you scroll up it gives you the different information.

The questions are for you NOT for me.
If you know what to find, from the conservation of energy equation you should be able to find what you want.
Reply 6
The questions are for you NOT for me.
If you know what to find, from the conservation of energy equation you should be able to find what you want.

yes ik thats why I equated the work done and kinetic energy equations

Then what is your problem that you face in doing the question.
Reply 8
Then what is your problem that you face in doing the question.

I am unsure on what to do since once I have equated them I have tried to find the force but for some reason after I do that it says I have still got it wrong, it actually says "remember that the hammer and nail remain in contact during and after the blow." I was wondering how that would affect my calculations a lot since I assumed once it reached zero velocity the loss of ke would still be equal to the work done?
I am unsure on what to do since once I have equated them I have tried to find the force but for some reason after I do that it says I have still got it wrong, it actually says "remember that the hammer and nail remain in contact during and after the blow." I was wondering how that would affect my calculations a lot since I assumed once it reached zero velocity the loss of ke would still be equal to the work done?

When the hammer hits the nail, this is an inelastic collision.

Show your actual working.
It seems that there is some difference(s) in your working and what you have described.
When the hammer hits the nail, this is an inelastic collision.

Show your actual working.
It seems that there is some difference(s) in your working and what you have described.

I have got it now thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest