The Student Room Group

Question about guilt

Does feeling guilty about someone make you avoid the person it involves? For example, if you are feeling guilty about hurting someone (emotionally), would that cause you to avoid the person you’ve potentially hurt?
It may do in the short term if your a decent person who understands personal morals and values. However the context needs to be explored further for example, if a person is a friend but confessed to wanting more but you don't then avoiding is not the way, if you did something passionate on a whim and now feel guilty then it may suit you but your conscious will be keeping you aware.
Reply 2
Original post by ashyk001a
It may do in the short term if your a decent person who understands personal morals and values. However the context needs to be explored further for example, if a person is a friend but confessed to wanting more but you don't then avoiding is not the way, if you did something passionate on a whim and now feel guilty then it may suit you but your conscious will be keeping you aware.

Basically it’s a really good friend of mine, he has done something that he knows has hurt me (he doesn’t know I know) and has stopped speaking to me. He hasn’t deleted me or blocked me from anything so I’m assuming he will come and speak to me when he’s ready, I was just wondering if avoiding/going silent on someone is a sign of guilt
not always
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
not always

Not always what?
Most of the time, yes. They avoid the person due to shame.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically it’s a really good friend of mine, he has done something that he knows has hurt me (he doesn’t know I know) and has stopped speaking to me. He hasn’t deleted me or blocked me from anything so I’m assuming he will come and speak to me when he’s ready, I was just wondering if avoiding/going silent on someone is a sign of guilt

Then that person knows they have hurt you, otherwise would not have stopped talking or avoiding. If things go back to the way you want them to be, I doubt it will be the same relationship and the other person could start pushing boundaries and doing something else...I like to see a persons action before absolving them and currently the actions are of immaturity, there is a saying that we cant choose our family but can choose our friends. Have some pride and maybe make new friends.
Complete opposite

well what have they done?
Reply 9
well what have they done?

It’s pretty complicated. Basically there was a situation and I said to him that if he does it, our friendship is over I’m done with you (I was upset and angry when I said this). Anyway, he did it (not through his choice) and he doesn’t know that I know. He still has my number, hasn’t blocked or deleted me, he’s just not speaking to me. I’m thinking maybe he’s just figuring out what to say to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending