The Student Room Group

Why do most universities accept Btec engineering students, only if they have an a lev

I'm currently doing my extended dipolma in engineering. and we're doing things like further maths and calculus, also. i do aqa core maths, which is to do with statistics and stuff. even last year, foundation dipolma. i was doing a lot of maths. is a level maths a lot more than what im currently doing?
Original post by Confidential_
I'm currently doing my extended dipolma in engineering. and we're doing things like further maths and calculus, also. i do aqa core maths, which is to do with statistics and stuff. even last year, foundation dipolma. i was doing a lot of maths. is a level maths a lot more than what im currently doing?

You would have to compare specifications but BTEC isnt considered as academically rigourous by some unis for certain courses, especually stem.
A combination of some content being missed in A level maths and more importantly the experience of doing exams. When I did my foundation year we had a lot of BTEC students and all of them failed the foundation year because they just weren't prepared for taking exams and the uni didn't know how to properly support them in the transition. I imagine that's even more common when you're not on the foundation year, so unis play it safe and ask for the A level.
Reply 3
There is a lot of Maths in engineering degrees - taking Further Maths A level can be a real advantage - and there's little point accepting people onto a course which they aren't prepared for. The level of Maths in the BTEC Engineering Principles exam is not very high (and the pass mark is low) and Level 3 AQA Mathematical Studies is significantly easier than AS Maths - I've known people do both and get A/B in Maths Studies and E/U in AS Maths. A level Maths is a step up from AS.

Quick Reply

Latest