The Student Room Group

stressed out

Hi so this is a dumb question

But I've got my first job, as a Christmas temp so only for literally one whole month.

I'm a gap-year student, and so am fully flexible.

Obviously, getting a job without many prior retail experience apart from volunteer work at charity shops, it has been challenging to receive any job offers during the recession period.

However, having received an offer after interview for a company as a seasonal advisor, I realised my hours are 38-40 hours a week.

5 days a week.

I started my induction which was an 8 hour period and it was long but it went by quickly.

I'm just worried how these long hours would suit me, I have a relationship that I'm worried about, as my partner is working at home and so he doesn't need to go hours and hours without replying.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to leave without having given it a try especially because I prepared so hard for the interview and it's an opportunity I should be grateful for, because, I'm taking a step out of my comfort zone, building my skills and paying back my parents.

I keep telling myself it's only for a month but these hours are like 9-10 hours of work 5 days a week, I just don't know if I personally could handle that I know certain people work that or more without any concerns but I was really just looking and hoping for some part-time. I'm one of two people who are working full time 5 days a week, and she's a lot older. The rest work part-time because they're students.

I just am mad I didn't mention what hours I'm comfortable with. I thought if I said part-time would suit me then they'd have rejected me prior interview so I said full-time or part-time is fine, so of course I got shoved with full-time work. ;/ tomorrow I finish at like Eight pm and by the time I get home my night would already have gone and I'd have to be in bed by like twelve or something. I just am stressing too much about how it would work

I guess it's one day at a time I mean I have 20 days left and one less to worry about!

But, is it worthwhile talking to the manager? the manager has told me that they can keep people on after their seasonal contract finishes, and I wouldn't mind to continue working it's just the hours that are bothering me I don't know what to do.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?

But I've got my first job, as a Christmas temp so only for literally one whole month.

Obviously, getting a job without many prior retail experience apart from volunteer work at charity shops, it has been challenging to receive any job offers during the recession period.

However, having received an offer after interview for a company as a seasonal advisor, I realised my hours are 38-40 hours a week.

5 days a week.

I started my induction which was an 8 hour period and it was long but it went by quickly.

I'm just worried how these long hours would suit me, I have a relationship that I'm worried about, as my partner is working at home and so he doesn't need to go hours and hours without replying.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to leave without having given it a try especially because I prepared so hard for the interview and it's an opportunity I should be grateful for, because, I'm taking a step out of my comfort zone, building my skills and paying back my parents.

I keep telling myself it's only for a month but these hours are like 9-10 hours of work 5 days a week, I just don't know if I personally could handle that I know certain people work that or more without any concerns but I was really just looking and hoping for some part-time. I'm one of two people who are working full time 5 days a week, and she's a lot older. The rest work part-time because they're students.

I just am mad I didn't mention what hours I'm comfortable with. I thought if I said part-time would suit me then they'd have rejected me prior interview so I said full-time or part-time is fine, so of course I got shoved with full-time work. ;/ tomorrow I finish at like Eight pm and by the time I get home my night would already have gone and I'd have to be in bed by like twelve or something. I just am stressing too much about how it would work

I guess it's one day at a time I mean I have 20 days left and one less to worry about!

But, is it worthwhile talking to the manager? the manager has told me that they can keep people on after their seasonal contract finishes, and I wouldn't mind to continue working it's just the hours that are bothering me I don't know what to do.

Join the real world! Most of us work 38-40hrs a week, over 5 days!
Original post by Angela1001

I sound really obnoxious I don't mean it like that I mean it personally I'm having personal issues and I just am worried I won't be able to balance it or I'll come crying home everyday bc i'm tired or what not..
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?

5 days a week.

It will be good to get away from your boyfriend for a while. You can't be together 24/7. You would get under each others feet. Being apart for part of the day will make you appreciate each other more.
Original post by Angela1001

Exactly
Original post by Emma:-)
It will be good to get away from your boyfriend for a while. You can't be together 24/7. You would get under each others feet. Being apart for part of the day will make you appreciate each other more.

we're long distancing sorry, because of covid, he's with his family I'm down south with my family and lockdown hasn't been easy on him and it's been causing fights and I'm just worried... It'll be tough
Reply 6
I know what you mean. I've just taken on a Christmas Temp job. I am excited to start earning money for the first time since finishing uni in May, as I want to contribute more in paying for things in the house as I now live back at home with my parents. I definitely have a bit of FOMO regarding missing out on some things (obviously not as much going on anymore because of covid) - but I really enjoy going to the pub any night of the week with my friends in the local. I told my Mum I had FOMO and she laughed and told me to crack on - working in the real world means that you sometimes have to sacrifice things. So I've sucked it up - ha! With regards to your relationship, your partner should be proud that you're getting out the house to work. The break between you might make you stronger. I think you definitely need to make time for eachother when your not in work. Organise that you have a takeaway or pick up something nice for dinner from the shops. Good luck!
Original post by aboib
I know what you mean. I've just taken on a Christmas Temp job. I am excited to start earning money for the first time since finishing uni in May, as I want to contribute more in paying for things in the house as I now live back at home with my parents. I definitely have a bit of FOMO regarding missing out on some things (obviously not as much going on anymore because of covid) - but I really enjoy going to the pub any night of the week with my friends in the local. I told my Mum I had FOMO and she laughed and told me to crack on - working in the real world means that you sometimes have to sacrifice things. So I've sucked it up - ha! With regards to your relationship, your partner should be proud that you're getting out the house to work. The break between you might make you stronger. I think you definitely need to make time for eachother when your not in work. Organise that you have a takeaway or pick up something nice for dinner from the shops. Good luck!

Thank you for being understanding!!

did a 9 hour shift today my feet kill and got a 9 hour shift tmw but I met an old school friend which really helped boost my mood. Where I work it's not structured and for someone who has anxiety it just pisses me off, It's good because I'm using my own initiative and learning as I go and that's all I expect of me irrespective of whether the manager likes it, if anyone else has a concern they can talk to me ahaa because I've been really felt like left in the dark.

It wasn't that bad I get two 45 mins break and so really use that to check up on my boyfriend and what not! really try and maximise it I'm just taking it day by day sacrifices do have to be made even if it's just for twenty more days it will make me feel accomplished like DofE gold all over again (I'm so dramatic) but, everything matters to me no matter how trivial it may seem.

Thanks again! I hope it works out for you too
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending