The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science

Good morning!
I'm in Year 10, the subjects I picked were: Drama, Art, Photography, and History.
I hate Photography.
I'm considering becoming a vet/ doctor.
Do you think it would be too late to swap Photography for Triple Science?
All opinions are welcome.
Thank you!
Original post by AnimalLoverSimba
Good morning!
I'm in Year 10, the subjects I picked were: Drama, Art, Photography, and History.
I hate Photography.
I'm considering becoming a vet/ doctor.
Do you think it would be too late to swap Photography for Triple Science?
All opinions are welcome.
Thank you!

Ask immediately, for some subjects people would usually switch within the first month or two otherwise there would be a tonne of content to catch up on.

I remember in year 9 when I did GCSEs a classmate switched from Spanish to Geography in the Summer term, so it does depend on your school, but if you hate it, ask immediately and see what they can do for you, but be prepared for a lot of catch up though.
To be honest, it really depends on your school. My school would not allow it but yours might. I think you should speak to your head of year. Triple Science is very hard (I speak from experience) and so you should really consider whether you want to do it after you have been doing combined until now and will have to learn new content. As far as I know, doing combined will not limit your ability to become a vet.
Original post by ApplePiePanda
Ask immediately, for some subjects people would usually switch within the first month or two otherwise there would be a tonne of content to catch up on.

I remember in year 9 when I did GCSEs a classmate switched from Spanish to Geography in the Summer term, so it does depend on your school, but if you hate it, ask immediately and see what they can do for you, but be prepared for a lot of catch up though.

Thank you for the advice!
Original post by ViperStudent
To be honest, it really depends on your school. My school would not allow it but yours might. I think you should speak to your head of year. Triple Science is very hard (I speak from experience) and so you should really consider whether you want to do it after you have been doing combined until now and will have to learn new content. As far as I know, doing combined will not limit your ability to become a vet.

Really? I've been told it looks much better on the university application if you do triple science.
honestly, it depends as some schools allow you to change your options but others don't. I am currently in year 10 and missed out on the whole of year 9 because of this ******** inside job people call covid 19, and I can say GCSE triple science is quite hard and the memorisation part is harder than maths. if you see yourself as someone who can memorise things easily then I don't see a problem in you swapping subjects however one thing you must know is that you will be quite behind on your studies in science if you do the swap, PS I'm pretty sure you can be a vet with combined science as well.
Original post by Bossmanfarhan
honestly, it depends as some schools allow you to change your options but others don't. I am currently in year 10 and missed out on the whole of year 9 because of this ******** inside job people call covid 19, and I can say GCSE triple science is quite hard and the memorisation part is harder than maths. if you see yourself as someone who can memorise things easily then I don't see a problem in you swapping subjects however one thing you must know is that you will be quite behind on your studies in science if you do the swap, PS I'm pretty sure you can be a vet with combined science as well.

Thank you for the advice!
I'll try and ask, I've been told we're learning the same stuff as triple, they are just doing the tests a little earlier.
Yes, I can become a vet with combined, it just looks better on the university application with triple. And it's preperation for A-level.
Goodnight!
Really? I've been told it looks much better on the university application if you do triple science.

It may have a slight impact but to be honest it's actually the grade that matters more and if you struggle in triple and get lower than you would in combined then that wouldn't really look good. Also, in some schools, like in mine only Set 1 does triple and universities know this and that triple isn't always available to everyone so don't worry but tbh I'm in year 11 so if someone who is in Uni could reply they might be able to answer your question better.
Original post by ViperStudent
It may have a slight impact but to be honest it's actually the grade that matters more and if you struggle in triple and get lower than you would in combined then that wouldn't really look good. Also, in some schools, like in mine only Set 1 does triple and universities know this and that triple isn't always available to everyone so don't worry but tbh I'm in year 11 so if someone who is in Uni could reply they might be able to answer your question better.

Hi there, I asked my Chemistry teacher if she thinks it's too late, she said she would speak to the head of science.
So hopefully I've got a good chance in changing.
Thank you!!
Hi there, I asked my Chemistry teacher if she thinks it's too late, she said she would speak to the head of science.
So hopefully I've got a good chance in changing.
Thank you!!

That's great!!

Yes, I can become a vet with combined, it just looks better on the university application with triple. And it's preperation for A-level.

Taking triple or combined Science will make no difference to your university application but taking triple will make you better prepared for A level.
Original post by Compost
Taking triple or combined Science will make no difference to your university application but taking triple will make you better prepared for A level.

Thank you for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest