The Student Room Group

A Level: STRESSED!!

I'm doing my first year of A-Levels right now and I'm so stressed. The workload isn't too much at the moment, but the thought of doing this for another year and a half stresses me omg, I have no motivation. I'm doing Psychology (A), English Lit (B/C?), Media Studies (B) and Geography (B?), and I REEALLY want to drop English. I just don't enjoy it and feel clueless because of this. I'm concerned that if I do drop it I won't get into uni and I'll be homeless :biggrin:. My teacher last year said I was going to be fine as long as I didn't drop English because it's the only like 'academic' subject I chose?? No but seriously, I don't know what to do, I feel pretty helpless. I don't want to study this, I could be using this time for boosting my other grades. I have December mocks soon but I don't want to sit the exam, I cba (I know I have a bad attitude but ugh). Should I keep all four, ride it out until the end of this first year and then decide, or drop now...?
Hi, I'm also in year 12 doing my first year of A-levels. I'm not taking the same subjects you are; I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing (so the exact opposite as you) and frankly I don't enjoy computing as much as I did in GCSE and I might even drop it. But I'm not going to come to that decision now and I think you should do the same. I think you should keep it until the end of the year. If you start liking English by then, you can keep doing it and you might enjoy it even more in year 13. What if you drop it now and then in the future, you realise that was a bad decision and you should have thought about it more? I don't know how much you hate the subject but see how it goes and if it is truly unbearable, drop it. And if you do drop it, don't be afraid of what your future unis might think. How about check what university you want to go to and check their A-level entry requirements for the course of your choice? Also, if you are thinking of doing a course in uni that heavily relies on English in A-level, are you sure you'll be enjoying those 3/4 years of uni?

About your mocks in December, there is nothing I can say other than revise. Try and make a timetable and do small 30 minute chunks of work (and have a 5 minute break abut every 1/2 hour) instead of sitting down for 3 or even 4 hours straight. The highest amount of time an average person can concentrate on one thing for is about an hour, so don't overwork yourself or you'll just waste your time and do less work than you would've.

Good luck and I hope for the best for your A-levels.

PS. Sorry if I made any grammatical mistakes, I'm not that good in English
Reply 2
Original post by Allmeliton
Hi, I'm also in year 12 doing my first year of A-levels. I'm not taking the same subjects you are; I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing (so the exact opposite as you) and frankly I don't enjoy computing as much as I did in GCSE and I might even drop it. But I'm not going to come to that decision now and I think you should do the same. I think you should keep it until the end of the year. If you start liking English by then, you can keep doing it and you might enjoy it even more in year 13. What if you drop it now and then in the future, you realise that was a bad decision and you should have thought about it more? I don't know how much you hate the subject but see how it goes and if it is truly unbearable, drop it. And if you do drop it, don't be afraid of what your future unis might think. How about check what university you want to go to and check their A-level entry requirements for the course of your choice? Also, if you are thinking of doing a course in uni that heavily relies on English in A-level, are you sure you'll be enjoying those 3/4 years of uni?

About your mocks in December, there is nothing I can say other than revise. Try and make a timetable and do small 30 minute chunks of work (and have a 5 minute break abut every 1/2 hour) instead of sitting down for 3 or even 4 hours straight. The highest amount of time an average person can concentrate on one thing for is about an hour, so don't overwork yourself or you'll just waste your time and do less work than you would've.

Good luck and I hope for the best for your A-levels.

PS. Sorry if I made any grammatical mistakes, I'm not that good in English

Thank you so much, you've really helped me feel better. I'll just see how I get on for now.

Hope your A-Levels go well too!! Your grammar was great haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest