The Student Room Group

Can this relationship work?

Me (21 male) my girlfriend (21 female) have been together , 4 months and the relationship is great and we have lots of things in common apart from one thing - politics. We both have quite different political views. She voted labour in the last election, left wing into green issues and a big supporter of BLM. I voted conservative in the last election, I am pro-brexit, support reducing immigration and the free market etc. We are passionate about what we believe in and like to talk about it but once had an argument about Brexit. But we don't talk about politics all the time and have others interests, friends and stuff we do as well. But can a relationship where you disagree about politics work? Would you date someone with views you disagree with? Has anyone been in a relationship like this?
better hope so lmao. politics is hardly an integral part of a relationship
well seeing as politics isn’t a massive part of a relationship, i would say yes.

you both should stand against racism, whether you support BLM or not - you should have being against racism in common.

you should both care about the environment - whether you vote for a party with that has it as it’s main drive or not.

you have more in common than you think. look deeper than labels.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes. So long as you are both mature and respectful of the other's views, there should be no issues.
No.
I don't think so.
All the supporters of that american organisation I've encountered tend have revolutionary agendas, anger management issues and zero tolerance for people with alternative attitudes.

I've dated guys from all over the political spectrum with very different political viewpoints and agendas to me.
From members of SWP to Lib Dems, One Nation Conservatives to staunch NRA & AIPAC supporting republicans.
Reply 5
Original post by baby.bear
well seeing as politics isn’t a massive part of a relationship, i would say yes.

you both should stand against racism, whether you support BLM or not - you should have being against racism in common.

you should both care about the environment - whether you vote for a party with that has it as it’s main drive or not.

you have more in common than you think. look deeper than labels.

I don't agree with racism and I believe in maintaining natural environments and clean air so I guess we agree on that.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't agree with racism and I believe in maintaining natural environments and clean air so I guess we agree on that.

exactly! you have so much in common but you’re choosing to define your differences through politics.

just forget parties and what you vote for. if you both don’t agree with racism, there’s a thing in common. if you both want to support the environment, there’s another thing in common.

stop putting everything down to politics and you’ll realise you both have very similar beliefs about certain topics!
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
No.
I don't think so.
All the supporters of that american organisation I've encountered tend have revolutionary agendas, anger management issues and zero tolerance for people with alternative attitudes.

I've dated guys from all over the political spectrum with very different political viewpoints and agendas to me.
From members of SWP to Lib Dems, One Nation Conservatives to staunch NRA & AIPAC supporting republicans.

Did the political differences between you and the guys you dated cause friction/arguments in the relationships?

I bet the lib dem members were boring and dull lol.
Me (21 male) my girlfriend (21 female) have been together , 4 months and the relationship is great and we have lots of things in common apart from one thing - politics. We both have quite different political views. She voted labour in the last election, left wing into green issues and a big supporter of BLM. I voted conservative in the last election, I am pro-brexit, support reducing immigration and the free market etc. We are passionate about what we believe in and like to talk about it but once had an argument about Brexit. But we don't talk about politics all the time and have others interests, friends and stuff we do as well. But can a relationship where you disagree about politics work? Would you date someone with views you disagree with? Has anyone been in a relationship like this?

Yeah, stop these European people from coming to the Uk and work there. How dare they.
Reply 9
Original post by kirachan
Yeah, stop these European people from coming to the Uk and work there. How dare they.

They won't be coming over to work in quite so large numbers soon :smile:.
personally it wouldn’t work for me. i dont see how you can both be passionate about your views, and spend so much time with someone who strongly disagrees.
We talk about politics once in a while. I definitely think we will argue before elections - she campaigned for labour putting leaflets through doors at the last election.
They won't be coming over to work in quite so large numbers soon :smile:.

That was sarcasm. I know many British people that live in the Eu and work there. Don’t really get what’s so wrong with people from Austria or France studying in the Uk and working there if they are skilled. I get it when they go there and don’t do anything, but if they are talented then wtf not. How would British people feel if they have to stay there forever. I bet that there are a lot of British people that want to explore other countries as well.
As if people are determined by the country they are born in. Like that is their whole identity. Geez
Original post by kirachan
That was sarcasm. I know many British people that live in the Eu and work there. Don’t really get what’s so wrong with people from Austria or France studying in the Uk and working there if they are skilled. I get it when they go there and don’t do anything, but if they are talented then wtf not. How would British people feel if they have to stay there forever. I bet that there are a lot of British people that want to explore other countries as well.
As if people are determined by the country they are born in. Like that is their whole identity. Geez

I think they should only be moving abroad for work if there is a skills shortage.
I think they should only be moving abroad for work if there is a skills shortage.

Isn’t there always? You have the assumption that every British person goes to uni, is excellent at their job and tada. What about the other part of the population, the People that don’t care about success but are family oriented or who just don’t want to excel. So according to you, they are more valuable because they are British? I agree that immigrants With no skills or ambition should stay where they are, but by your theory every person has to stay in the county they are born in?
Did the political differences between you and the guys you dated cause friction/arguments in the relationships?

I bet the lib dem members were boring and dull lol.

Sometimes, occassionally arguments between the guys and their politically involved pals or family members for dating an 'outsider'.
I usually ended those relationship within 90 days as soon as I got fed up or realised we were incompatible in other ways.
The relationships with trot guys always involved some form of unpleasant conspiracy theories, yelling or internal thuggery between SWP members disrupting dates. One SWP ex hasn't given up hope of converting me trot. :facepalm:

The Lib Dem guys got quite annoying after the first few dates.
Either: mother's boys in their 30s-40s, bad tempered intersectional feminists or desperate to play daddy to 4+ biological children.
sorry, this is the actual last thread I'm going to reply to lmao can't help myself.

But if both of you are respectful and appreciate each other views. Maybe even have some debates idk:biggrin:
I personally wouldn't be able to date someone on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm also a conservative and pro-Brexit- I just can't imagine myself dating someone who supports BLM or any other sort of Marxist indoctrinations.

PRSOM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending