The Student Room Group

Parents divorcing

Do they have to split half the property money?

Scroll to see replies

For them to decide
Reply 2
Original post by TheEileen
For them to decide

I thought there was a law that you have to split it?
Original post by Anonymous

Most of the time they will. Not sure if they 'have' to, so to speak, but from my experience, yes they are. Also depends on if they fell out, they could make it legal then and claim half the house, if they bought it together on shared finances (I think...I am not an expert lol).

Hope you're okay, I know a divorce can be a stressful time, my parents have been going through it for like 3 years now. Don't worry yourself too much over what they do and things like property money, that's their job...I do the same though.:smile:
Reply 4
I don't think its anything to laugh about, this divorce is due to famliy issues with the whole family including me and it has been stressful but now you are laughing
Reply 5
I don't think its anything to laugh about, this divorce is due to famliy issues with the whole family including me and it has been stressful but now you are laughing

This is to you btw @iizzymarie
The starting point for splitting assets is 50/50 (at least in the UK). Then, from this starting point, each parent could make a case of why the assets should not be split equally, for example their have low future earning potential as they were the main carer in which case something like 'spousal maintenance' might be applicable. Also if the children are still at home then obviously funds will need to be allocate for their welfare.
This is to you btw @iizzymarie

I wasn't laughing at the situation. Sorry if I made you feel that way. I said lol at my inability to explain anything. I don't find it funny, as someone who is going through this currently too. Again, sorry if I came across wrong.
Reply 8
Original post by maturestudent79
The starting point for splitting assets is 50/50 (at least in the UK). Then, from this starting point, each parent could make a case of why the assets should not be split equally, for example their have low future earning potential as they were the main carer in which case something like 'spousal maintenance' might be applicable. Also if the children are still at home then obviously funds will need to be allocate for their welfare.

All my siblings are deciding who to go with but we are all over 18
Reply 9
Original post by iizzymarie
I wasn't laughing at the situation. Sorry if I made you feel that way. I said lol at my inability to explain anything. I don't find it funny, as someone who is going through this currently too. Again, sorry if I came across wrong.

No its ok if you were, I don’t care about some random Internet troll anyway so there's no need to cover it up

1. They can either reach an agreement or if not the court can decide.
2. If you are under 18 then you have rights as well and the parent might make an application to the court so that any sale of the house doesnt happen till you are out of full time education.
Original post by 999tigger
1. They can either reach an agreement or if not the court can decide.
2. If you are under 18 then you have rights as well and the parent might make an application to the court so that any sale of the house doesnt happen till you are out of full time education.

We are all over and im 24
Let it lie, they apologised and you are being a bit defensive. I didnt think they were laughing at you at all.

No its ok if you were, I don’t care about some random Internet troll anyway so there's no need to cover it up
Let it lie, they apologised and you are being a bit defensive. I didnt think they were laughing at you at all.

I will, they are clearly a troll and trying to cover it up but I don't care about them anyway

We are all over and im 24

Then its up to your parents to decide what to do and if not they can refer it for the court to decide.
I will, they are clearly a troll and trying to cover it up but I don't care about them anyway

It's actually kind of upsetting how you're saying this. I'm really not trolling you...I was trying to help but I don't know what I said wrong. Sorry again.
Hope things get better soon :smile:

Then its up to your parents to decide what to do and if not they can refer it for the court to decide.

Yes, my sister is 20 and brother is only 19
Sure you're not and I've reported you btw
Bye bye troll

They were not laughing at you in any way, I think you should re-assess the situation and listen instead of being so defensive, it’s not healthy.
In the UK if the parents reach an agreement then they apply for a consent order and that’s that.
If they can’t agree then it goes to the court to decide.
Adult children will not enter into the agreement at all.
They were not laughing at you in any way, I think you should re-assess the situation and listen instead of being so defensive, it’s not healthy.

They put lol which means laugh out loud and im starting to think you are that user who's come on anon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending