The Student Room Group

What to mention in course transfer personal statement?

So I’m transferring course in uni. Do I include things like experience/extra-curricular activities? Here’s the info I’ve been given to include:

Explain the reasons that you want to change from your current course and your interest in the specific course you wish to transfer to.”
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by epicgang432
So I’m transferring course in uni. Do I include things like experience/extra-curricular activities? Here’s the info I’ve been given to include:

Explain the reasons that you want to change from your current course and your interest in the specific course you wish to transfer to.”

If they are relevant, then yes.

If the extra-curriculars aren't relevant, it's fine not to mention them if you don't have space.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If they are relevant, then yes.

If the extra-curriculars aren't relevant, it's fine not to mention them if you don't have space.

Thank u! I’m applying for law so I’ve mentioned things relating like debate club etc and skills I’ve gained that would relate to the subject.
Thank u! I’m applying for law so I’ve mentioned things relating like debate club etc and skills I’ve gained that would relate to the subject.

Bear in mind that law is not a vocational course- you need to demonstrate to admissions tutors that you are interested in the accademic study of law, not that you have skills that would make you a good lawyer.
Bear in mind that law is not a vocational course- you need to demonstrate to admissions tutors that you are interested in the accademic study of law, not that you have skills that would make you a good lawyer.

I’ve mentioned particular things relating to the course like specific modules I enjoy and have done reading into. Should I mention A-Levels and my current course?
I’ve mentioned particular things relating to the course like specific modules I enjoy and have done reading into. Should I mention A-Levels and my current course?

I wouldn't mention A-levels at this stage. What context would you mention your current course in?
I wouldn't mention A-levels at this stage. What context would you mention your current course in?

I’m not sure, maybe mentioning skills I’ve gained so far. This is the structure I’m kind of going for..

Very short intro on importance of law blah blah
Paragraph 1 - specific interests (mention of specific modules in Law, further reading ive done etc)
Paragraph 2 - why I want to change from current course (following on from interests, feel like I’d thrive on that particular course, particular opportunities available on course etc)
Paragraph 3 - mentions of prior experience and current involvement in societies etc
Conclusion kind of summing it all up, maybe mention skills gained from current/previous studies?

Does this sound okay?
bump
Like with a normal PS if applying from college, the majority of your PS should be on your academic interest in your new course. This could come from things in your current course that you've studied that are relevant, or it could come from extra reading/watching courses etc.

Quick Reply

Latest