The Student Room Group

Demisexual vs Asexual

What’s the difference between the two? If you are either asexual or demisexual, how did you realise?
I feel like I am either or both, not sure how to be sure.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What’s the difference between the two? If you are either asexual or demisexual, how did you realise?

a demigod among with other gods is not considered a god he is a demigod. might help.. meditate, when you're at the peak of your meditation ask yourself whatever questions you got. How old are you might I ask, age would play a role.. also don't worry with what you're attracted to or if you're not attracted to anything at all, just do what you desire and build your future.
Asexuality is the complete lack of any sexual desire.
Demisexuals can feel sexual desire; they don't lack a sex drive, they just don't tend to experience sexual desire without a prior emotional bond.
There's a recent infestation of you guys on here isn't there. It was manlets one minute then giraffe girls and now it's you guys. What do you want? We know it isn't sex or romance, so stop trying to steal other people's potential bfs and gfs. I mean what are you gonna do with them?

im so lost with what ever youre on about
Reply 4
?

Your complaint is?

I can't tell if this is a rant against ace people or something else.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Your complaint is?

I can't tell if this is a rant against ace people or something else.

I just don't get the point of you guys, and when you search for relationships you're misleading someone to think you want romance and sex when you don't.
Original post by PlumbOnce
im so lost with what ever youre on about

but demigods and meditation makes so much sense in this thread? btw my post was to OP. not you
I just don't get the point of you guys, and when you search for relationships you're misleading someone to think you want romance and sex when you don't.

That's not the point? Just like any other relationship, aces communicate what they need and if it doesn't work out then they find someone they can make it work with and who can understand them.

Saying they're stealing potential partners is stupid looool because it's not like they're closing the dating world for everyone else - open your mind a lil
Reply 8

Aces don't seek sex and will probably be upfront. Aros don't even seek out relationships.

Demisexuals do want romantic relationship and sex they just don't want to be with someone they don't know well. That's not misleading it just means they want a bond which sounds good to me than meaningless sex or relationships based on lust.
but demigods and meditation makes so much sense in this thread? btw my post was to OP. not you

I still don't know
Original post by londonmyst
Demisexuals can feel sexual desire; they don't lack a sex drive, they just don't tend to experience sexual desire without a prior emotional bond.

I just want to be educated, I don't want to be insensitive here, but I'm really confused about this. Aren't ~75% of people demisexual because a lot of people I know really aren't into having things like one night stands and wait till marriage to have sex? I don't get why some people talk about it like it's unusual because I thought most people are demisexual? Sorry I know I probably sound insensitive but I'm genuinely curious. I know there is a difference between sexual attraction and wanting to have sex with that person, because being attracted doesn't automatically mean sex, but I think ~75% of people, if not more, don't have a desire to have sex with someone they aren't dating. Like they might have a small desire, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I think a lot of people like to keep their body count low.
You might find this helpful: https://www.asexuality.org

And of course whichever label you go for is your choice and you can change your mind later if you want :hugs:
Original post by PlumbOnce
a demigod among with other gods is not considered a god he is a demigod. might help.. meditate, when you're at the peak of your meditation ask yourself whatever questions you got. How old are you might I ask, age would play a role.. also don't worry with what you're attracted to or if you're not attracted to anything at all, just do what you desire and build your future.

Are you on something?
Original post by annonymous2323
I just want to be educated, I don't want to be insensitive here, but I'm really confused about this. Aren't ~75% of people demisexual because a lot of people I know really aren't into having things like one night stands and wait till marriage to have sex? I don't get why some people talk about it like it's unusual because I thought most people are demisexual? Sorry I know I probably sound insensitive but I'm genuinely curious. I know there is a difference between sexual attraction and wanting to have sex with that person, because being attracted doesn't automatically mean sex, but I think ~75% of people, if not more, don't have a desire to have sex with someone they aren't dating. Like they might have a small desire, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I think a lot of people like to keep their body count low.

The thing is, c.75% of people don’t call themselves demisexual (I mean, maybe they would if they knew about it, but anyway)

Demisexual people tend to want to use that label because they never, ever feel sexually attracted to someone unless they know them well, whereas people who aren’t typically might not want to actually have sex with a stranger, but they do feel a sexual attraction to them, as you say.

Attraction is a complicated thing and what really matters, imo, is if someone feels that a label is helpful to them, rather than if they could conceivably meet some sort of criteria for it? For example, lots of people who do identify as ace/Demi want to be part of that community and be in a space where not being sexually attracted to strangers isn’t viewed as weird (eg talking about celeb crushes)

Asexual people don't feel a strong need for sex (idk if I'm right) I think it's more common than people think. Pretty sure I might be asexual and I know a few ppl who just really aren't interested in sex. I'm not saying they are asexual, but it's probably kinda common or slightly uncommon. I'm biased because I'm not into sex and have to realise most people love sex. However, I would say I'm interested in sex I am a young age so I'm probably not comfortable with it yet, when I'm an adult I think I'll be more into sex so I wouldn't say I am asexual, but I think I read somewhere that you can temporarily be asexual (idk!) so I might be asexual now but when I finish puberty I might not be asexual anymore
Asexual people don't feel a strong need for sex (idk if I'm right) I think it's more common than people think. Pretty sure I might be asexual and I know a few ppl who just really aren't interested in sex. I'm not saying they are asexual, but it's probably kinda common or slightly uncommon. I'm biased because I'm not into sex and have to realise most people love sex. However, I would say I'm interested in sex I am a young age so I'm probably not comfortable with it yet, when I'm an adult I think I'll be more into sex so I wouldn't say I am asexual, but I think I read somewhere that you can temporarily be asexual (idk!) so I might be asexual now but when I finish puberty I might not be asexual anymore

I feel like it's not rlly the same as like being gay is, with asexuality it changes based on so many things so I think a lot of people are asexual on a scale at least once in their life even after puberty but I might be wrong
Original post by becausethenight
The thing is, c.75% of people don’t call themselves demisexual (I mean, maybe they would if they knew about it, but anyway)

Demisexual people tend to want to use that label because they never, ever feel sexually attracted to someone unless they know them well, whereas people who aren’t typically might not want to actually have sex with a stranger, but they do feel a sexual attraction to them, as you say.

Attraction is a complicated thing and what really matters, imo, is if someone feels that a label is helpful to them, rather than if they could conceivably meet some sort of criteria for it? For example, lots of people who do identify as ace/Demi want to be part of that community and be in a space where not being sexually attracted to strangers isn’t viewed as weird (eg talking about celeb crushes)

I think there's more to it than just not being attracted to a stranger. I mean even with celeb crushes people think they have a connection to and know something about the personality of the celeb, so some emotional/mental connection needs to come in there for most people. I think these demis don't need or think about sex until someone comes along they are particularly interested in.
I think there's more to it than just not being attracted to a stranger. I mean even with celeb crushes people think they have a connection to and know something about the personality of the celeb, so some emotional/mental connection needs to come in there for most people. I think these demis don't need or think about sex until someone comes along they are particularly interested in.

I'd imagine there's a range of experiences even among the demisexual community, and it's probably best to look into that and see what people have to say than speculate or generalise. What really matters is that someone feels that that label is meaningful for them.
Original post by glassalice
Are you on something?

currently sitting on a chair
Original post by londonmyst

Original post by Bio 7
Aces don't seek sex and will probably be upfront. Aros don't even seek out relationships.

Demisexuals do want romantic relationship and sex they just don't want to be with someone they don't know well. That's not misleading it just means they want a bond which sounds good to me than meaningless sex or relationships based on lust.

Thanks for the explanations. I always felt a bit weird to think about getting intimate with someone that I couldn’t bond and vibe with on an emotional level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending