The Student Room Group

False troll accusations

Why is it when someone asks something, there is ALWAYS at least one reply calling the OP a "troll"?

I'm not just saying this out of spite, either. I always get called a called a troll when Im actually posting a genuine post and I have seen other people get accused of being a troll so I just wondered if someone could define it's current meaning and explain why people waste their time calling someone a troll...?

Troll - someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community.

I bet some hilarious guy will post "Troll" or "why are you anon to this post while giggling to himself but just dont bother honestly.

Scroll to see replies

Can you provide a link to one of your 'genuine threads' that have been dismissed as being troll-ery?

TBH I have seen several incidents of people prematurely accusing people of trolling.
(edited 3 years ago)
It also applies to repeatedly timewasting and asking intentionally stupid questions and we get a lot of both, especially from the Anon #1 account which is constantly abused so people quite reasonably assume the worst about people using it.
Reply 3
Seeing as your abusing anonymous I can assume you're on the newer side, you may have just not seen the repeats in days/months prior. I dont typically see real genuine questions getting called troll.
Reply 4
Original post by glassalice
Can you provide a link to one of your 'genuine threads' that have been dismissed as being troll-ery?

TBH I have seen several incidents of people prematurely accusing people of trolling.

I don't want to because it will make things worse
Reply 5
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Seeing as your abusing anonymous I can assume you're on the newer side, you may have just not seen the repeats in days/months prior. I dont typically see real genuine questions getting called troll.

How can you tell if they are genuine or not
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to because it will make things worse

Now that makes me *suspect* trolling.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
It also applies to repeatedly timewasting and asking intentionally stupid questions and we get a lot of both, especially from the Anon #1 account which is constantly abused so people quite reasonably assume the worst about people using it.

If you think they are a troll then don't reply and feed what you think is a troll it will save your time and it will help the op who actually might be genuine like I have but people don't believe me because someone has said troll
Reply 8
How can you tell if they are genuine or not

If they're inflammatory, the story doesnt line up, the OP is being rude, its a repeat of questions that have been asked before, etc., its most likely a troll.
Reply 9
Now that makes me *suspect* trolling.

This is what im talking about
If they're inflammatory, the story doesnt line up, the OP is being rude, its a repeat of questions that have been asked before, etc., its most likely a troll.

I have repeated questions i admit it but its because I dont get responses or something like that or I might do another thread on the same topic
If you think they are a troll then don't reply and feed what you think is a troll it will save your time and it will help the op who actually might be genuine like I have but people don't believe me because someone has said troll

I'll do what I want, if you want to engage with the community more stop hiding from it, easy :smile:
This is what im talking about

I don't have enough information available to conclude that you are trolling. HOWEVER it is a distinct possibility.
Why wouldn't you show examples of threads where you have been wrongly accused?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
I'll do what I want, if you want to engage with the community more stop hiding from it, easy :smile:

You can but I'll highly recommend to stop accusing people mate
Reply 14
I have repeated questions i admit it but its because I dont get responses or something like that or I might do another thread on the same topic

Bump the old thread rather than posting another, someone will definitely get back to you about your issue. Spam is annoying.
I don't have enough information available to conclude that you are trolling. HOWEVER it is a distinct possibility.
Why wouldn't you show examples of threads where you have been wrongly accused?

Because no one believe me that its not a troll and it will turn into an argument
Bump the old thread rather than posting another, someone will definitely get back to you about your issue. Spam is annoying.

You don't have to reply to it if its a repeat thread, not replying is better that just falsely accusing people of trolling
You can but I'll highly recommend to stop accusing people mate

Nah, my accusations are on the money prob 99%, I'd hear about it otherwise. From named users.

Where’s the fun in that?
Because no one believe me that its not a troll and it will turn into an argument

How many times has this happened to you?How long have you been on here?

Latest