The Student Room Group

How to build muscle and lose fat both at the same time?

i am quite confused with information on the internet. From what i read if you want to gain weight you need a calorie surplus, and opposite for weight loss. However calorie means anything. carb, fat , protein. So you can eat a high fat diet and still gain weight.

Apparently from what i understand is, if you want to build muscle, you must accept the side effect of increase fat too. So there is no way around it, and people go through phases of build and cut cycles.

Is there a more straight forward method of building muscle and losing fat both at the same time? i want my 6 packs abs to be visible without becoming smaller.
I'm not a professional PT, but from what I've read into it, it's how you allocate your macronutrients.

Your muscle and size comes from having adequate protein (not excessive - apparently 0.8g per lb of bodyweight is the norm), and then balance the rest out with fats and carbs. Excessive carbs can lead to excess fat, contrary to popular belief. You need enough carbs for the exercise and whatever you do during the day; also you would want to have adequate glycogen stored in your muscles.

The idea though is to eat more of the food that will burn up more calories than you will gain. So high fibre food tend to help e.g. vegetables. You will also need to be wary of your intake of micronutrients e.g. vitamins, minerals, etc. So regulate your intake of fruit, vegetables, etc., most of which don't amount to many calories anyway.

Then it also depends on how you want your abs to look. Do you want them to buff out like you see on some bodybuilders, or do you want them to be noticeable but not pop out? For the former, you want to do intense core workouts and high protein intake, possibly with medium to high carb intake depening on the workout. Whereas the latter require minimal core concentrated work and a heavier focus on low calories.

I'd recommend following a professionally laid out workout and diet plan for the look you want, or speak to a PT. If you want, you can become a PT yourself.
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm not a professional PT, but from what I've read into it, it's how you allocate your macronutrients.

Your muscle and size comes from having adequate protein (not excessive - apparently 0.8g per lb of bodyweight is the norm), and then balance the rest out with fats and carbs. Excessive carbs can lead to excess fat, contrary to popular belief. You need enough carbs for the exercise and whatever you do during the day; also you would want to have adequate glycogen stored in your muscles.

The idea though is to eat more of the food that will burn up more calories than you will gain. So high fibre food tend to help e.g. vegetables. You will also need to be wary of your intake of micronutrients e.g. vitamins, minerals, etc. So regulate your intake of fruit, vegetables, etc., most of which don't amount to many calories anyway.

Then it also depends on how you want your abs to look. Do you want them to buff out like you see on some bodybuilders, or do you want them to be noticeable but not pop out? For the former, you want to do intense core workouts and high protein intake, possibly with medium to high carb intake depening on the workout. Whereas the latter require minimal core concentrated work and a heavier focus on low calories.

I'd recommend following a professionally laid out workout and diet plan for the look you want, or speak to a PT. If you want, you can become a PT yourself.

I have done further reading and tell me if i understand wrongly

high calorie is for boosting size... but you cant control what you gain, you might gain muscle and fat, both at the same time.

protein is for building muscle only.

So in order to build muscle and lose fat. you should eat bare minimum carb for daily function, restrict fat and boost protein intake. calorie deficit is alright as long as you have the protein.
Original post by HucktheForde
I have done further reading and tell me if i understand wrongly

high calorie is for boosting size... but you cant control what you gain, you might gain muscle and fat, both at the same time.

protein is for building muscle only.

So in order to build muscle and lose fat. you should eat bare minimum carb for daily function, restrict fat and boost protein intake. calorie deficit is alright as long as you have the protein.

No. If you eat in a small caloric surplus, you will minimize fat gain. Carbs are very good for building muscle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUXMW0sWBA&feature=youtu.be&t=1906&ab_channel=RenaissancePeriodization) you should not eat the bare minimum carb for daily function and a caloric deficit will very rarely lead to substantial muscle gain. What is your weight and height?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
No. If you eat in a small caloric surplus, you will minimize fat gain. Carbs are very good for building muscle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUXMW0sWBA&feature=youtu.be&t=1906&ab_channel=RenaissancePeriodization) you should not eat the bare minimum carb for daily function and a caloric deficit will very rarely lead to substantial muscle gain. What is your weight and height?

176cm, 65 kg.

why are there so many conflicting information :confused:

I swear i have read about eating more carb will make you fat.. not from one sources but at multiple sources
176cm, 65 kg.

I would suggest you go on a lean bulk with a 300 kcaloric surplus, use a tdee calculator to work this out. Aim for 2g of protein per kilo of bodyweight, 20%-35% of your kcals from fat and fill the rest with carbs. Aim to gain 1% of your bodyweight every week.

why are there so many conflicting information :confused:

I swear i have read about eating more carb will make you fat.. not from one sources but at multiple sources

Scientific sources don't have much conflicting information.
300 cal surplus. anything more then you will spend quite some time 'cutting'
Original post by Proxenus
300 cal surplus. anything more then you will spend quite some time 'cutting'

did you mean 300 cal more than what i need or 300 kcal per day?

300 more

300cals maximum per day
300 more

any advise on cardio? should i do cardio? or a bit? or complete abstain?

if you care about your health you can. but not necessary to lose weight.

U can if u want but then you would have to eat more.
3 cups of rice, meat, and a vegetable meal a day and exercise. That's what I do.
Reply 15
Cardio + strength training. Eat a normal amount but make sure to gain more protein in your diet.

Quick Reply

Latest