The Student Room Group

Did you ever agree more with a villain than the other characters in a story?

If so, when? and why?

Scroll to see replies

Sympathy for a villain, yes. Like Joaquin Phoenix's Joker
What about you, do you ever agree more with a villain than the other characters?
Reply 3
In the game Final Fantasy XV after seeing Ardyn the villain's backstory .. I think him wanting to wipe out his brothers descendants was understandable......

he was robbed of his birthright, his woman murdered, and left to rot in chains for thousands of years..

that's gonna make anyone more than a little sour...
(edited 3 years ago)
i wouldn’t say i agreed more with Killmonger in black panther, but he definitely had valid points and i completely understood why he was the way he was. i even kinda rooted for both sides tbh.
Last of us 2, I felt more for the Villian than Abbie.
Reply 6
I like games, although admittedly i'm not as into them as much as I was in my teens and early childhood...

Final Fantasy is my favourite series.
Harvey Dent.

He lost his identity and the love of his life.
I sympathised with Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I sympathised with Obito, Konan and Pain from the Naruto franchise.

So many beautiful characters that were hurt behind belief and could only cope with the turmoil by morphing into something more malevolent and withdrawn.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yup - his "victims" basically had it coming
The irony is in films I do, in the real world I don't
I could very much relate and understand Thanos' ideologies and intentions to the point where I partially rooted for his success (but in no means did I expect it) and felt sorry for him when he met his demise.
His original intentions were to half the populations of planets and the universe as a whole so they wouldn't share the same fate as his planet (who he is the last surviving member of) as they were all killed off due to overpopulation which is a fate our species could also share if we continue to be so careless. He used the stones do this but in Endgame, his past self (2014 Thanos) came to the present and decided...you know what f that I'm just gonna wipe out the whole universe with the infinity stones and start again; recreating the world in my image. "Born out of blood" as Captain America put it.
A friend of mine only ever roots for villains, but that's mainly because she finds them attractive
Reply 14
Witcher 3.

Eredin just wants to save his people but his plan will kill Ciri. I want to save her too but I don't want the Aen Elle to die either.
:biggrin: haha I'll ask, but I think it's just the thought of them being powerful and evil
I don't understand it but whatever floats her boat
Askeladd from Vinland saga.
So calculating and initiative and somewhat a father figure to thorfinn (despite what he did)

Quick Reply

Latest