The Student Room Group

Teacher viewing social media

Hi,
For the past year now my physics teacher constantly views my Instagram. He makes weird comments in lessons too suggesting that I should be an “instagram influencer” yet has never admitted that he types in my username and looks at my page everyday.
I feel a bit uncomfortable and starting to gather evidence of him doing it as I have a gut feeling it’s wrong.
Do any teachers on here do this to their students? And what should I do about it? Or is it just a case of blocking him and not telling anyone? I just don’t know if I’m overreacting

Scroll to see replies

Ok yeah that’s definitely creepy and steps over way too many boundaries. Block him immediately and show the evidence you have collected to someone as there is a good chance that you may not be the only one he’s doing this to. It’s better to do something now than it grow into something a lot more serious
Reply 2
Original post by DOOODARS
Ok yeah that’s definitely creepy and steps over way too many boundaries. Block him immediately and show the evidence you have collected to someone as there is a good chance that you may not be the only one he’s doing this to. It’s better to do something now than it grow into something a lot more serious

I agree as it has been going on for over a year now. I’m in year 13 as well so I’m 18 and I really find it odd. Thank you for your reply
Original post by Sophiethomx
I agree as it has been going on for over a year now. I’m in year 13 as well so I’m 18 and I really find it odd. Thank you for your reply

No worries. What sort of evidence do you have? Is it screenshots of him liking your posts? Can the account definitely be linked to him (ie says his name in the username or has his face on the profile picture) Also I’m assuming other people in your physics class have heard him make these comments? If so, then make sure that if asked, they will back you up over it
Reply 4
No worries. What sort of evidence do you have? Is it screenshots of him liking your posts? Can the account definitely be linked to him (ie says his name in the username or has his face on the profile picture) Also I’m assuming other people in your physics class have heard him make these comments? If so, then make sure that if asked, they will back you up over it

Yes a few people have clocked on and asked me whether I think it’s weird and I always say yes. He hasn’t liked any photos, but viewing my Instagram story he is always in the viewer list. I’ve told a few people in school and they agree that it should not be happening. I’m just trying to find out if there is anything that states whether that is wrong or whether there are school policies about social media yet I can’t find anything. And yes, his profile picture is of him and his wife! And it uses his name.
Do you have him as a friend on social media or something?
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Do you have him as a friend on social media or something?

No I do not, my Instagram page is public due to myself collaborating with different brands. So that’s the only reason I’m like hmmm because I have made it public if you get me? So I’m starting to think is it nothing if my page is public? I’m not too sure
very creepy, definitely definitely report to someone at school
Reply 8
Do you think? I’m scared that it will not go anywhere due to the fact my Instagram is public
Do you think? I’m scared that it will not go anywhere due to the fact my Instagram is public

still, him checking your account and obviously searching for you is really concerning, try and report it to a few people
im sorry you have to go through this :frown:
its definitely weird and it would make me feel uncomfortable. especially him going out of his way to let you know he looks at it.
Original post by casabonita
still, him checking your account and obviously searching for you is really concerning, try and report it to a few people
im sorry you have to go through this :frown:

Thank you! I think this is the issue, it’s just making me second guess the whole situation 😣 I think I will.
Yes a few people have clocked on and asked me whether I think it’s weird and I always say yes. He hasn’t liked any photos, but viewing my Instagram story he is always in the viewer list. I’ve told a few people in school and they agree that it should not be happening. I’m just trying to find out if there is anything that states whether that is wrong or whether there are school policies about social media yet I can’t find anything. And yes, his profile picture is of him and his wife! And it uses his name.

You should definitely report it, regardless of if it is public or not. It’s still very creepy and steps over boundaries that they should not be. Take screenshots of this and report it to safeguarding / senior leadership / whoever deals with this at your school. It will at least bring attention to it and put a stop to it
Original post by MadameRazz
its definitely weird and it would make me feel uncomfortable. especially him going out of his way to let you know he looks at it.

It is so disturbing. Like an example would be where the whole class is talking about university and I’ll say to my friend “I’m not sure what I want to do” and then he’ll be listening to me and then say infront of everyone “what about an instagram influencer?”
You wouldn’t say that as the first job that comes to your head!
You should definitely report it, regardless of if it is public or not. It’s still very creepy and steps over boundaries that they should not be. Take screenshots of this and report it to safeguarding / senior leadership / whoever deals with this at your school. It will at least bring attention to it and put a stop to it

thank you! I will definitely.
No I do not, my Instagram page is public due to myself collaborating with different brands. So that’s the only reason I’m like hmmm because I have made it public if you get me? So I’m starting to think is it nothing if my page is public? I’m not too sure

I guess it could just be coincidence and that he’s trying (all be it in a way that’s weirding you out) to be supportive in something that’s becoming a venture for you.

It may be that he’s searching you out, but social media algorithms are also very clever, so they could also be leading him towards your content. If you’re finding his comments awkward, talk to him and ask him to not comment and that you find it uncomfortable.
Original post by moonkatt
I guess it could just be coincidence and that he’s trying (all be it in a way that’s weirding you out) to be supportive in something that’s becoming a venture for you.

It may be that he’s searching you out, but social media algorithms are also very clever, so they could also be leading him towards your content. If you’re finding his comments awkward, talk to him and ask him to not comment and that you find it uncomfortable.

I did think of it from that angle! As a way of “being protective” of me? In a creepy way ...
But yes I also recognised that too about the algorithm and I think the only thing is that my photos would only be coming up on his “explore” page or if he types my name in. Yet if it is coming up as a coincidence it just doesn’t make sense how he is always tapping those photos to view more!
But yes I appreciate your response a lot thank you!!
I did think of it from that angle! As a way of “being protective” of me? In a creepy way ...
But yes I also recognised that too about the algorithm and I think the only thing is that my photos would only be coming up on his “explore” page or if he types my name in. Yet if it is coming up as a coincidence it just doesn’t make sense how he is always tapping those photos to view more!
But yes I appreciate your response a lot thank you!!

Ultimately, if it’s making you feel uncomfortable, tell him. I imagine most teachers would back off if they found out something they were doing on social media was making a student uncomfortable.

Rule number one from your eSafety lessons. Set your profile to private!

You are learning the hard way that if you make yourself public, all and sundry can view your profile. What he is doing is not strictly wrong although it is potentially over stepping the mark of professionality. But you are contributing to the situation. Set your profile to private and know who is on your friend list.

Stay safe!
Original post by ByEeek
Rule number one from your eSafety lessons. Set your profile to private!

You are learning the hard way that if you make yourself public, all and sundry can view your profile. What he is doing is not strictly wrong although it is potentially over stepping the mark of professionality. But you are contributing to the situation. Set your profile to private and know who is on your friend list.

Stay safe!

Thank you for your reply! I’ve now blocked him and I’m unable to turn my page to private as I collab with brands and earn money that way! But I understand where you are coming from completely!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending