The Student Room Group

Slow builders

They have been here since January 2019, all they are meant to do is do a through lounge in our living room, build a kitchen and refurbish 2 rooms. They've been her for nearly 2 years now and it affecting us. I have had to share my bedroom with my bro because his room is getting refurbished and its hard sharing a room because I have no privacy we argume more and we can't go to bed at different times. We have a living area but its all plastered, it looks tramp because its not paint and the whole house is just a mess. They said that it will take 6 weeks to do everything but no.

Scroll to see replies

Welcome to British working culture and the lack of productivity and efficiency within the British construction industry workforce.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Welcome to British working culture and the lack of productivity and efficiency within the British construction industry workforce.

If I was their boss I would have had some serious words about why is it taking so long
If I was their boss I would have had some serious words about why is it taking so long

Wouldn’t the boss be pleased that they’d extended a 6 week job to 2 years?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Wouldn’t the boss be pleased that they’d extended a 6 week job to 2 years?

No because its should be done quickly
Do they have a good excuse for the delay?
If not, I'd say your family can probably claim compensation.
Reply 6
Original post by Rufus the red
Do they have a good excuse for the delay?
If not, I'd say your family can probably claim compensation.

No
At what point in two years do people not say to themselves - these builders are taking the p***. I really hope they haven't been paid up front. I would sack them off and get someone else in.
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek
At what point in two years do people not say to themselves - these builders are taking the p***. I really hope they haven't been paid up front. I would sack them off and get someone else in.

They have been paid upfront thats why we can’t sack them, we could get a refund but the guy is a bit funny and we might have to go legal which my parents can't be bothered with
They have been paid upfront thats why we can’t sack them, we could get a refund but the guy is a bit funny and we might have to go legal which my parents can't be bothered with

School boy / girl error. Never pay builders up front. I would suggest that money has gone now and if you take them to the small claims court they will just wind up the company and you will get nothing in return.

Lesson hopefully learned. Time to get the DIY tools out. To be fair - decorating isn't that hard.
No because its should be done quickly

If a 6wk job has taken 2yrs and counting, it would be fair to say that the boss doesn't give two hoots about how long the job it taking. They've been paid so that's pretty much all they care about.

Get someone else in. It's a lost cause.
Original post by ByEeek
School boy / girl error. Never pay builders up front. I would suggest that money has gone now and if you take them to the small claims court they will just wind up the company and you will get nothing in return.

Lesson hopefully learned. Time to get the DIY tools out. To be fair - decorating isn't that hard.

We've not been scammed,but they are still doing the work but its just way too slow. A family friend recommended have these guys. I think it might be one of the guys taking too long because 1 of the guys is only about 21 22 and he goes on Facebook

Paying upfront is foolish - go to Rip off Britain and get them involved.
Original post by Muttley79
Paying upfront is foolish - go to Rip off Britain and get them involved.

The guys a well known in this area so they aren’t going to scam and aren't really scamming they are just taking too long
Original post by Admit-One
If a 6wk job has taken 2yrs and counting, it would be fair to say that the boss doesn't give two hoots about how long the job it taking. They've been paid so that's pretty much all they care about.

Get someone else in. It's a lost cause.

They have been paid
Its hard to find other builders as well
The guys a well known in this area so they aren’t going to scam and aren't really scamming they are just taking too long

They are extracting the urine though - is their a contract?
Original post by Muttley79
They are extracting the urine though - is their a contract?

I don't know thats why I came on here about it because I just want to have my own room and own privacy
We've not been scammed,but they are still doing the work but its just way too slow. A family friend recommended have these guys. I think it might be one of the guys taking too long because 1 of the guys is only about 21 22 and he goes on Facebook

I'm sorry - but taking two years to do something which should have been done inside a month is taking the p 1 s s! At the current rate, you are looking at another two years if you are lucky. They are laughing at you and only doing the odd bit here and there to pacify you because that is easier than dealing with the paperwork to wrap up their business and start again if you were to take them to court.
Reported

Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending