The Student Room Group

Solution for plotting a quadratic graph from an equation

Hi! I have been looking at some extra questions for maths and I came up with a solution for this problem, but I am not sure if it is right or not. I had to sketch out a graph for the equation y=x^2+2x-3... Can someone please help me with this?

Scroll to see replies

Here is a photo of the solution I came up with... I am not sure if it is correct
Original post by MayaVellichor
Here is a photo of the solution I came up with... I am not sure if it is correct

Did it tell you to complete the square? Are you in Year 12?
Hi! I have been looking at some extra questions for maths and I came up with a solution for this problem, but I am not sure if it is right or not. I had to sketch out a graph for the equation y=x^2+2x-3... Can someone please help me with this?

Yes, it's correct. Your approach is fine, although you should be able to factorise it by inspection, then assert that the minimum (/ maximum for negative x^2 coefficients) is at the average of the two roots' x coordinates.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Did it tell you to complete the square? Are you in Year 12?

No year 10
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes, it's correct. Your approach is fine, although you should be able to factorise it by inspection, then assert that the minimum (/ maximum for negative x^2 coefficients) is at the average of the two roots' x coordinates.

OK... Thank you!
No year 10

I was just doing it for some fun
No year 10

OK - factosing to find the roots is much quicker, Never complete the square unless you are told to.

The x-coord of the turning point is the mean of the roots - then you can substitute to find the y coord. You can see the intersection on the y-axis by inspection.
OK - factosing to find the roots is much quicker, Never complete the square unless you are told to.

The x-coord of the turning point is the mean of the roots - then you can substitute to find the y coord. You can see the intersection on the y-axis by inspection.

Thank you! I will bare that in mind next time!
This website is great for checking graphs - https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Type in the function using the 'x' key on your keyboard
Original post by hw8
This website is great for checking graphs - https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Type in the function using the 'x' key on your keyboard

Thank you!
Thank you! I will bare that in mind next time!

If you take A level you will learn another way of finding turning points which is why I asked which year you were in :smile:
Use the quadratic formula and you can never go wrong.
If you take A level you will learn another way of finding turning points which is why I asked which year you were in :smile:

Is it something to do with (-p, q) or is it something completely different?
I'm assuming they are talking about differentiation.
Original post by FrankishEmpire
I'm assuming they are talking about differentiation.

Cool! Thanks! I will definitely look into that...
Is it something to do with (-p, q) or is it something completely different?

It's calculus - specifically differentiation which can find the gradient and turning points of curves.
It's basically a speedrun tactic. Integration is useful for finding areas too if you want to learn more about that.
Original post by FrankishEmpire
Use the quadratic formula and you can never go wrong.

That is NOT good advice when the x^2 coord is 1 and c is prime; it takes much longer.
Cool! Thanks! I will definitely look into that...

Wait until you are taught it ...

Quick Reply

Latest