The Student Room Group

Psychology based personal statement

Hello, I am applying to study Psychology at University and would like some pointers as to what to include in my personal statement.

My subjects are English Literature, Psychology and Biology. My work experience includes working at a tuition centre for ages 4-16, Nuffield research placement (study on factors affecting miscarriage incidence) and heartlands resource centre (helping people with disabilities) and later volunteered there twice a week for approximately 5 weeks. I also completed the Engineering Education Scheme and am currently doing the Aston STEM progression pathway.

with this information and experience, is there anything that stands out to make me suitable for the course or will make me stand out against other candidates.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ssafi
Hello, I am applying to study Psychology at University and would like some pointers as to what to include in my personal statement.

My subjects are English Literature, Psychology and Biology. My work experience includes working at a tuition centre for ages 4-16, Nuffield research placement (study on factors affecting miscarriage incidence) and heartlands resource centre (helping people with disabilities) and later volunteered there twice a week for approximately 5 weeks. I also completed the Engineering Education Scheme and am currently doing the Aston STEM progression pathway.

with this information and experience, is there anything that stands out to make me suitable for the course or will make me stand out against other candidates.

Thank you :smile:

All your experience sounds great - wow! I would just try and link everything back to psychology and find something from each of the things you’ve done that would be either relevant to the study of psychology as a degree or that has given you a skill that allows you to work in the psychology field or that will help you on your course. E.g. working with people is a great skill from volunteering, or research from your research placement as psychology is very research based etc. Psychology could be included in STEM so maybe play on that and just show that you have gained lots of skills which will enhance your ability to succeed in your course etc. Hope this helps! :smile:
Check out this guidance on a psych PS :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912
Original post by Izzy120902
All your experience sounds great - wow! I would just try and link everything back to psychology and find something from each of the things you’ve done that would be either relevant to the study of psychology as a degree or that has given you a skill that allows you to work in the psychology field or that will help you on your course. E.g. working with people is a great skill from volunteering, or research from your research placement as psychology is very research based etc. Psychology could be included in STEM so maybe play on that and just show that you have gained lots of skills which will enhance your ability to succeed in your course etc. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you, I will take this into consideration whilst writing it out :h:
Original post by Interrobang
Check out this guidance on a psych PS :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912

Quick Reply

Latest