The Student Room Group

Who can perform cannulation?

Who can perform cannulation and venepuncture aside from nurses and doctors?

Currently doing a Biomedicine degree and wondering if it is worth taking this course?

Thanks
I can. where do you need one?

Also, is it for a CTPA or anything like that, or am I ok using a blue if I need to?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply!
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
I can. where do you need one?

Also, is it for a CTPA or anything like that, or am I ok using a blue if I need to?

Thanks for your reply, im interested in training in it though rather than having one!
Original post by Niknak91

Currently doing a Biomedicine degree and wondering if it is worth taking this course?

Thanks

I can as a midwife
Original post by Niknak91

Thanks

You can literally put yourself on a course, its around £250 to learn venepuncture and cannulation. I went through my company but there was individuals.
Reply 6
Original post by lucydurber
You can literally put yourself on a course, its around £250 to learn venepuncture and cannulation. I went through my company but there was individuals.

Thanks for your reply! Im based in London and it seems there are many courses available but its like a minefield of scammers! Any recommendations for a good training place?

Thanks
Those courses aren’t likely to be all that helpful. You’ll practice on a dummy arm for one day. You only get good with regular practice. And I doubt any nhs trust would accept it and would make you do their in house version if you ever got a job
Original post by ForestCat
Those courses aren’t likely to be all that helpful. You’ll practice on a dummy arm for one day. You only get good with regular practice. And I doubt any nhs trust would accept it and would make you do their in house version if you ever got a job

I worked in a Doctors surgery, that's all I did, a 3 hour course, and was set free. Was NHS, so idk I got a job, and didn't have to do anymore training.
Original post by lucydurber
I worked in a Doctors surgery, that's all I did, a 3 hour course, and was set free. Was NHS, so idk I got a job, and didn't have to do anymore training.

GP surgeries are a different ball game. They’re technically owned by their managing partners and contracted out their services.
Hospital trusts generally like in house training.

It depends why the OP wants to learn. There isn’t much point just doing the course, as you need practice, and if they’re aiming for hospital work then they might as well save their money as the training wouldn’t count.
Reply 10
Original post by ForestCat
GP surgeries are a different ball game. They’re technically owned by their managing partners and contracted out their services.
Hospital trusts generally like in house training.

It depends why the OP wants to learn. There isn’t much point just doing the course, as you need practice, and if they’re aiming for hospital work then they might as well save their money as the training wouldn’t count.

Not wanting to work in a hospital just yet, I work in an Aesthetic clinic and we are opening a new one soon. Patients will be treated with PRP via a laser needling device after their surgeries. To do a PRP treatment, we need to have the patients blood taken beforehand, so rather than this be left to the surgeon, I would like to find a good course that provides live blood sessions. There is a diploma which takes a year to complete, but as far as I know, only need the competance certificate is needed and the rest comes down to experience. As long as I have the competance certificate I can gradually build up experience at work, so that isnt the issue, I just need to find the best course, which is proving difficult!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending