The Student Room Group

UWC 2021 Application GB Commitee

Hello world! It seems no one has set up a thread yet, so welcome to all things relating UWC applications 2021.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!! I'm not a 2021 applicant, but I'm a current student at UWCSEA, in the first year of the IB (grade 11), and this is my third year at UWC. Just wanted to say that if anyone has any questions about life in Singapore - or anything UWC - and want a current student's perspective, please feel free to reach out to me! I'd be happy to help with anything you need :smile:
Hey guys, I'm a current student at Li Po Chun United World College (LPCUWC) of Hong Kong who got accepted through the National Committee of Great Britain (GBNC) last year. Feel free to reach out to me anytime-- I can't say I know much about how the application process will work this year, what with Covid-19 and all, but I'd be down to chat about anything UWC-related or otherwise. :smile:
Hi, I didn't expect anyone to see this thread, but welcome! I want to study Computer Science and German for the IB, with only 3 schools offering CS (South East Asia, Isak and Mahindra) and out of those, only UWCSEA offers German as well. I can only attend through a 90% to full scholarship, and after reading the committee's annual report, my chances look grim. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to whether the GB committee would be able to fund a place at a top-tear fees school, or if I should select a school in Europe that I could partially fund? I fear that if I get selected, 🤞, I wouldn't be able to fund a place at UWCSEA or Isak even with a 75% scholarship...anyways, hope you have a lovely day 🐱*🚀
Hiya :smile: May I ask why you're specifying those subject restrictions? Given that both Computer Science and German can be learned outside the IB, and studying Computer Science in high school isn't a requirement to go into it at university/as a career.

As for the scholarship situation-- I'm studying at LPC, one of the higher-fee UWCs. The majority of my fees are covered by the college itself, with an additional scholarship coming from GBNC, which illustrates how funding can come from places besides just the NC. GBNC secures financial aid for people going to colleges in all price ranges, so there's no need to limit the colleges you apply for based on that.

GBNC hasn't sent students to UWCSEA in recent years, and I think only 0-1 student(s) to ISAK ever-- not sure if that's gonna change anytime soon. To my knowledge, there's one student going to Mahindra this year.

It's great to see that you're doing so much research already and I wish you best of luck with the application process :smile:
Hi! I should explain my dream uni first, ETH Zürich. The course is in German, and I would require a C1 by the start of term. I've been self-taught so far, so to get that level of fluency, I would need to take German as one of my subjects. I've looked into the school supported self-teaching that all schools offer, but again, I need to work on my speaking skills( not trying to be humble, I really need help 😅)

I've been thinking about schools that don't offer CS, and I think I've come to the conclusion that if the school offers it, great! But otherwise, it wouldn't be the end of the world and I could still learn in my spare time.

About financing, I guess too much research can be too much, but the thing that started all this is reading about financing on Isak's website, and as I want to insert the criteria, I realise that I've been reading the Global Selection Program info all along! This is such a relief, and I probably sounded so scared in the previous post 🤣.

As always, have a lovely day.
Wow, good luck with that! It's amazing that you already have an idea of what your dream university is and are so dedicated to working towards it. Switzerland sure is a beautiful country.

According to this document produced for the current academic year, German B is offered at CSC, Maastricht, Mostar, RBC, and of course SEA. GBNC isn't sending to CSC this year (they tried to send a student but things went wrong) and I'm not sure if they will next year, given that China isn't giving out any international student visas at the moment. GBNC hasn't sent to Maastricht in recent years (GSP has though). They've sent one student to RBC this year, but that was due to exceptional circumstances. GBNC sends enthusiastically to Mostar every year (I think 4 this year?), so that's the college that would be your best shot through GBNC if German is very important to you-- not that the others are by any means impossible.

And yeah that sure must be a relief-- NC process is veeeeeery different to GSP when it comes to finance xD
HI! Thank you so much for your support. I've actually been looking into Mostar and it seems really cool, and the fact that they seem to enthusiastically send there is even better. Although should I be concerned that the application form hasn't opened yet? It was supposed to go live on the 1st of September...
I've heard from other applicants that GBNC is running some form of one-on-one get-to-know-each-other sessions over Zoom in the next few weeks? I'd recommend emailing GBNC to find out if you haven't already
Hi! I've done a "community conversation" on Zoom about a month ago, so I don't know if that's what they are referring to... I received an email today, saying that the applications have now opened!
Good luck to anyone else applying!
Reply 10
Original post by BooleanEncyclo
HI! Thank you so much for your support. I've actually been looking into Mostar and it seems really cool, and the fact that they seem to enthusiastically send there is even better. Although should I be concerned that the application form hasn't opened yet? It was supposed to go live on the 1st of September...

Hii, second year at AC here. Having gone through the UWCGB application process twice (long story) one thing I can tell you is that while the GB committee is amazing in so many ways, don’t expect anything to be on time (or worry if it’s not). I believe that the applications are open now but throughout the process just be aware that the deadlines you’re given may not be met and you may have to be (very) patient. Good luck to you all btw!
Hi guys! I'm also planning to apply via the GBNC this year. For me, I'm particularly looking to carry on French, and that's my main limit which is helpful since that only takes away 4 colleges. My favourites are definitely the colleges in Asia (LPC is my top) but I'd be soo happy to go to any UWC, the IBDP and the whole idea and mission has sold it to me. How is everyone getting on with their applications? I already had my community conversation and I think it was okay... I'm so nervous for this whole thing ahhhh
Original post by TheGame314
Hey guys, I'm a current student at Li Po Chun United World College (LPCUWC) of Hong Kong who got accepted through the National Committee of Great Britain (GBNC) last year. Feel free to reach out to me anytime-- I can't say I know much about how the application process will work this year, what with Covid-19 and all, but I'd be down to chat about anything UWC-related or otherwise. :smile:

Hi there - the assessments this year are all online, but do you have any advice on what they entail? I imagine they will try to replicate the face to face experience so any insight into what to expect or what you did would be much appreciated! Asking on behalf on my daughter who has an assessment and interested in Li Po Chun 🙂. Thanks in advance.
Original post by TheGame314

Hi there - the assessments this year are all online, but do you have any advice on what they entail? I imagine they will try to replicate the face to face experience so any insight into what to expect or what you did would be much appreciated! Asking on behalf on my daughter who has an assessment and interested in Li Po Chun 🙂. Thanks in advance.
Original post by podgekin2011

Hi! Another UWCGB LPC student here hehe. I'm class of '21 so I applied a while ago, but the assessments involved some teambuilding / icebreaker activities, some problem-solving games (mostly to see how you interact with others), and then 3 interviews (by yourself). They're really just trying to figure out who you are, what you're like, and how you'd do at a UWC. My advice to your daughter would be 1) be super nice to everyone you meet, 2) try to be yourself and 3) try not to be shy (which is probably hard on zoom!)
Thank you!
Original post by reesa b
Hey!! I'm not a 2021 applicant, but I'm a current student at UWCSEA, in the first year of the IB (grade 11), and this is my third year at UWC. Just wanted to say that if anyone has any questions about life in Singapore - or anything UWC - and want a current student's perspective, please feel free to reach out to me! I'd be happy to help with anything you need :smile:

Hey guys, im also a current student who applied though the GBNC last year! I was quite involved in the selections in terms of now it works and what happens when etc so I may be able to answer any questions regarding that if you need! I am obviously also very happy to answer any other questions about UWC life, colleges or anything else really! :smile:
Original post by Ekos15
Hii, second year at AC here. Having gone through the UWCGB application process twice (long story) one thing I can tell you is that while the GB committee is amazing in so many ways, don’t expect anything to be on time (or worry if it’s not). I believe that the applications are open now but throughout the process just be aware that the deadlines you’re given may not be met and you may have to be (very) patient. Good luck to you all btw!

I second this!
Original post by BooleanEncyclo
Hello world! It seems no one has set up a thread yet, so welcome to all things relating UWC applications 2021.

Hi! I am currently applying to UWC through GBNC and it seems like my absolute dream school which I would love to go to. However, due to the current COVID situation, my parents are not so keen. Understandably, they think that if I go to a UWC they will not be able to see me for 9/10 months because of the pandemic and have issues with letting me go. So much so that it has become forbidden to talk about in my house out of the fear that my mum will have a tantrum. (Ik crazy). Any ideas on how to convince my parents to see UWC in a more positive light and be more forthcoming to me possibly attending? Please help!!!!
Hiya, so my parents (mainly my dad) were not so forthcoming to the idea of uwc either! What I would suggest is looking into colleges closer to home so that it is more likely that you will be able to come home. I am at ac and I am at home rn after only 3 months away. Which is still a lot but not 9-10 months! However I am not sure Covid will be as big a factor with your cohort when it comes to travel seeing as the vaccine has been released now. I also suggest laying out the facts about uwc to them. Show them all links to the website and look for videos that might sell it. I suggest the ac ib2 advice video (I think that’s what it’s called) from this year. My parents watched it and it really made them open up to the idea. Also encourage them to get in touch with kinga, the selections officer! She is an absolute legend and I think will definitely help with any worried they have! I hope this helps :smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending