The Student Room Group

Staying at home for a bit longer after Christmas

Over my first term of uni my anxiety has got really bad and I think I’ve developed depression as well. I feel so tearful and I’m barely eating. It’s got so much worse in the past week and I’m going to go on anti depressants. I’m calling my mum all the time and crying on the phone to her because I feel so desperate to be at home. But I’m going home for Christmas in a couple of days so I know soon I will feel at least a bit better. I’m stressed about exams and deadlines in January and because I’m so tired and have no motivation I feel even worse about it. But I know all of this is me being harsh on myself and it’s because of all the stuff going on in my head. Hopefully being at home can help me sort it out.

I’m thinking of staying at home for a bit longer after Christmas because of all this and I was wondering if anyone else is planning on doing the same?
I feel you, but it's not really anxiety at this point for me. It's more the fact that i don't feel anything anymore apart from emptiness. Courseworks been stressful so i understand. I also am planning to extend my Christmas holiday just to get up on my feet again. Don't worry, it'll get better for you and everyone else whos having a hard time. 2020 was a tough year.
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous202204
I feel you, but it's not really anxiety at this point for me. It's more the fact that i don't feel anything anymore apart from emptiness. Courseworks been stressful so i understand. I also am planning to extend my Christmas holiday just to get up on my feet again. Don't worry, it'll get better for you and everyone else whos having a hard time. 2020 was a tough year.

I know what you mean, it does feel like this past week the depression has outweighed the anxiety - I just feel so hopeless and bleak. Hopefully being at home helps me get into a better headspace.
Original post by Anonymous
I know what you mean, it does feel like this past week the depression has outweighed the anxiety - I just feel so hopeless and bleak. Hopefully being at home helps me get into a better headspace.

You’re not alone among the majority of students this year. Better to be safe than sorry. Universities are prepared for this either way so you won’t lose out on much if you choose to stay home
Over my first term of uni my anxiety has got really bad and I think I’ve developed depression as well. I feel so tearful and I’m barely eating. It’s got so much worse in the past week and I’m going to go on anti depressants. I’m calling my mum all the time and crying on the phone to her because I feel so desperate to be at home. But I’m going home for Christmas in a couple of days so I know soon I will feel at least a bit better. I’m stressed about exams and deadlines in January and because I’m so tired and have no motivation I feel even worse about it. But I know all of this is me being harsh on myself and it’s because of all the stuff going on in my head. Hopefully being at home can help me sort it out.

I’m thinking of staying at home for a bit longer after Christmas because of all this and I was wondering if anyone else is planning on doing the same?

I work in student accommodation and can assure you that you're absolutely not the only one considering this. What I absolutely would recommend though if you stay home for a bit longer is making sure you stick to a routine with your uni work, make sure you still attend things virtually (both academic and social!), and seek some kind of extra support for yourself too so that you hopefully feel more able to go back in the near future. As well, definitely let your uni course team and student support team know about what's going on because they can support you too and it'll make life so much easier
Reply 5
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I work in student accommodation and can assure you that you're absolutely not the only one considering this. What I absolutely would recommend though if you stay home for a bit longer is making sure you stick to a routine with your uni work, make sure you still attend things virtually (both academic and social!), and seek some kind of extra support for yourself too so that you hopefully feel more able to go back in the near future. As well, definitely let your uni course team and student support team know about what's going on because they can support you too and it'll make life so much easier

Thank you for the reassurance. It’s hard because no one I know is thinking of doing the same so does make me feel like I’m failing but I know it’s the right thing for me to do.
Thank you for the reassurance. It’s hard because no one I know is thinking of doing the same so does make me feel like I’m failing but I know it’s the right thing for me to do.

It feels like no one is because no one really talks about it, but I promise they are! I reckon a lot will decide once they're home too that if classes move/stay online that they'd rather have mum and dad look after them at home too!

Quick Reply

Latest