The Student Room Group

Which uni should I choose ?

I am an international student, and I have been truly blessed in getting admitted into all the five universities I've applied for. In having to make an informed decision, I was wondering about which university from the list below is the best for physics and astrophysics. I am currently doing my A-levels in physics, maths and chemistry with predicted grades A*A*A*.

I am least bothered by league tables, but I am rather concerned about academic rigor. I thrive in competitive, intense atmospheres, and I do end up pretty ruthless with my studies if the university makes it a point to incentivise students, whether it'd be through travel grants, scholarships or even just plain student rankings.

However if I happen to need a break to expend some energy or to blow some steam off, I find going for long walks or jogs in nature therapeutic. While I would love some metropolitan vibe to the city where I can have extensive access to summer internships and group projects , I need this little bit of greenery to refresh every now and then. Accommodation is not my biggest worry as long as my room has a giant window overlooking some trees or gardens.

Socially wise, I abhor parties and giant gatherings, and I am pretty sensitive to loud noises. However, I very much like to make friends with people of deep thought and intellect, people who are genuinely passionate about whatever they are studying, and curious enough to venture out and engage in conversations outside their spheres of knowledge. I may sound a little bit odd, but I can not contain my excitement when placed with an adventurous group of people who are learning for the sake of learning - zealous enough to seek things outside of what they are currently being taught. I have no interest in stuck-up, show-off personas.

In terms of extracurriculars, I debate and orate. I also take pleasure in filming and editing videos. It would be lovely to find relevant active societies.

1. University of Manchester - Conditional offer (A*A*A)
2. Durham University - Conditional offer (A*AA)
3. University of Birmingham - Conditional offer (A*AA)
4. University of St. Andrews - Conditional offer (AAA)
5. University of Leeds - Conditional offer (AAA)

I am very appreciative of any recommendations.
(edited 3 years ago)
First of all congrats!! secondly st andrews sounds maybe a better fit for you. It is a small university and very competitive to get into so people are focused on their studies. They have lots of societies and its in a lovely area with less of a club culture etc and more greenery. After that i would say Durham but it is bigger and definitely there are some party atmospheres but if you avoid that you're fine. I think they are the best fitting out of your list. Do some research :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by something_orphic
First of all congrats!! secondly st andrews sounds maybe a better fit for you. It is a small university and very competitive to get into so people are focused on their studies. They have lots of societies and its in a lovely area with less of a club culture etc and more greenery. After that i would say Durham but it is bigger and definitely there are some party atmospheres but if you avoid that you're fine. I think they are the best fitting out of your list. Do some research :smile:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. Do you have any idea about Manchester though ? For certainly I didn't expect Manchester to give me a harder offer than St Andrews.
Original post by Lin_09
Thank you so much for taking the time to write. Do you have any idea about Manchester though ? For certainly I didn't expect Manchester to give me a harder offer than St Andrews.

Manchester is popular because Brian Cox is a professor there - it is very competitive for Physics.
My sister went to Manchester i think it is a pretty good uni academically. It is in a large city with a big clubbing culture and it got too much for my sister who is a Northerner but i think very much depends on what you study and can be a great place to live. I think St Andrews does tend to give out pretty reasonable offers but academically it can be rated higher than Oxbridge and is a nicer place to live. It is really up to you ofc. I also have no idea about physics and astrophysics aha.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Manchester is popular because Brian Cox is a professor there - it is very competitive for Physics.

I am guessing if entry is competitive, then sure is the course. Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by something_orphic
My sister went to Manchester i think it is a pretty good uni academically. It is in a large city with a big clubbing culture and it got too much for my sister who is a Northerner but i think very much depends on what you study and can be a great place to live. I think St Andrews does tend to give out pretty reasonable offers but academically it can be rated higher than Oxbridge and is a nicer place to live. It is really up to you ofc. I also have no idea about physics and astrophysics aha.

Thanks, I will take your points into account.
St Andrews is know for being one of the best unis for physics and maths. They also have their own telescope, its a really nice small town with alot of greenery and places to walk/jog. If you want a city type feel its only about a 30minute bus ride i think. I'd be perfect for you! Also congrats on getting conditionals for all your uni applications! :smile:
Original post by Lin_09
I am an international student, and I have been truly blessed in getting admitted into all the five universities I've applied for. In having to make an informed decision, I was wondering about which university from the list below is the best for physics and astrophysics. I am currently doing my A-levels in physics, maths and chemistry with predicted grades A*A*A*.

I am least bothered by league tables, but I am rather concerned about academic rigor. I thrive in competitive, intense atmospheres, and I do end up pretty ruthless with my studies if the university makes it a point to incentivise students, whether it'd be through travel grants, scholarships or even just plain student rankings.

However if I happen to need a break to expend some energy or to blow some steam off, I find going for long walks or jogs in nature therapeutic. While I would love some metropolitan vibe to the city where I can have extensive access to summer internships and group projects , I need this little bit of greenery to refresh every now and then. Accommodation is not my biggest worry as long as my room has a giant window overlooking some trees or gardens.

Socially wise, I abhor parties and giant gatherings, and I am pretty sensitive to loud noises. However, I very much like to make friends with people of deep thought and intellect, people who are genuinely passionate about whatever they are studying, and curious enough to venture out and engage in conversations outside their spheres of knowledge. I may sound a little bit odd, but I can not contain my excitement when placed with an adventurous group of people who are learning for the sake of learning - zealous enough to seek things outside of what they are currently being taught. I have no interest in stuck-up, show-off personas.

In terms of extracurriculars, I debate and orate. I also take pleasure in filming and editing videos. It would be lovely to find relevant active societies.

1. University of Manchester - Conditional offer (A*A*A)
2. Durham University - Conditional offer (A*AA)
3. University of Birmingham - Conditional offer (A*AA)
4. University of St. Andrews - Conditional offer (AAA)
5. University of Leeds - Conditional offer (AAA)

I am very appreciative of any recommendations.

Hello @Lin_09 :smile:

I'll try to be as least biassed as possible but I figured I might have some useful things to say, as a Mancunian studying Physics at Birmingham! And I'll try to sprinkle what I've heard from my friends (or friends of friends) at the other Universities you've mentioned.

In terms of competitiveness, the 5 you've mentioned have successful Physics departments, and the degree is guaranteed to be intense. Though we don't have a student ranking table, the department does regularly email us about potential scholarships, essay competitions and career opportunities but I imagine that this is the same for any University with an active career's department!

If you're looking for greenery... I'll be honest, Manchester isn't the greenest place. It's a city university so accommodation is spread across the city center but that's not to say there's no nature. There are areas that are less suburban you may just need to take a 30 minute or so bus journey to get there! I've heard the same with Leeds.

Birmingham is a big city but the campus is a big green space and the main first-year accommodation is at The Vale, which is a short walk from campus. It's essentially a big park and buildings surround a lake, so I think it'd be your cup of tea... Though I've heard that St Andrews also has lovely views and that a walk on the beach is a lovely way to break up work

Finally, you'll definitely find like-minded passionate people in subject-aligned societies, if not on your course! You shouldn't be restricted to these though; I know a fellow Physicist that attends the Philosophy society because she enjoys the thoughtful debates and lax atmosphere :smile: That being said, it may be worth checking the Universities' society pages to see if anything catches your eye, I hope there's something that calls out to you.

I hope this has been helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me

-Faye
Reply 9
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hello @Lin_09 :smile:

I'll try to be as least biassed as possible but I figured I might have some useful things to say, as a Mancunian studying Physics at Birmingham! And I'll try to sprinkle what I've heard from my friends (or friends of friends) at the other Universities you've mentioned.

In terms of competitiveness, the 5 you've mentioned have successful Physics departments, and the degree is guaranteed to be intense. Though we don't have a student ranking table, the department does regularly email us about potential scholarships, essay competitions and career opportunities but I imagine that this is the same for any University with an active career's department!

If you're looking for greenery... I'll be honest, Manchester isn't the greenest place. It's a city university so accommodation is spread across the city center but that's not to say there's no nature. There are areas that are less suburban you may just need to take a 30 minute or so bus journey to get there! I've heard the same with Leeds.

Birmingham is a big city but the campus is a big green space and the main first-year accommodation is at The Vale, which is a short walk from campus. It's essentially a big park and buildings surround a lake, so I think it'd be your cup of tea... Though I've heard that St Andrews also has lovely views and that a walk on the beach is a lovely way to break up work

Finally, you'll definitely find like-minded passionate people in subject-aligned societies, if not on your course! You shouldn't be restricted to these though; I know a fellow Physicist that attends the Philosophy society because she enjoys the thoughtful debates and lax atmosphere :smile: That being said, it may be worth checking the Universities' society pages to see if anything catches your eye, I hope there's something that calls out to you.

I hope this has been helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me

-Faye

Hi Faye,

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I will definitely look more into Birmingham. Again, very grateful for the insight. 💖
Reply 10
Original post by killua016
St Andrews is know for being one of the best unis for physics and maths. They also have their own telescope, its a really nice small town with alot of greenery and places to walk/jog. If you want a city type feel its only about a 30minute bus ride i think. I'd be perfect for you! Also congrats on getting conditionals for all your uni applications! :smile:

St Andrews sounds delightful. Thank you so much for taking time out to write.
Original post by Muttley79

The department can boast an illustrious alumni. I believe Rutherford & Bohr as well as several other Nobel Physics laureates.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest