The Student Room Group

This chrome book is actual trash

I recently got a Lenovo chrome book from Currys cus it looked real nice. I received it and it only supports mobile apps, so it’s like your phone but laptop version and it cost 250 quid. This means important things like Microsoft office has limited capabilities. It’s manageable but you also need internet to run a lot of these apps. Should I just return it and get another one (which can take up to a month cus it’s Christmas) or should I keep it. I’m a college student rn, and in the future im gonna study to become an architect or civil engineer, what do you think I should do?
What are the specifications of your Chromebook?
Typically they have 2GB or 4GB RAM and a small hard-disk, 16GB or 32GB. (eMMC/mSATA or M.2)
Which CPU, hopefully at least a small 4-core something?

I have about 7 at home, Asus & Acer models, they mostly lasted about 3 years.
(I have succeeded in running a simple Ubuntu Linux directly on Chrome hardware, but for reliability you should stick with stock installation) I usually add a tiny USB drive, 64GB to use of the ports, gives you more space for movies or music, or as a local document backup for when there’s no Wi-Fi

Their Wi-Fi cloud function, combined with Google Office apps, give you a very reliable laptop that performs simple tasks well. They typically have a single file structure - just a Downloads folder.

They aren’t designed to run MS office apps, but work really well with Google documents for most school/pre-university students. They are updated every time you power them on, they are almost completely immune from viruses & malware, light, good battery life, cheap, etc

For uni, you definitely need either a Macbook or a more powerful PC than a Chromebook, (also it’s good to eventually limit your digital footprint exposure to Google, who used to claim that they “do no evil”) whilst at uni, I’d avoid google docs - other than they very reliably give you the cloud backup. Microsoft occasionally lose cloud servers, and have lost user data. Apple charge a lot, eventually for iCloud.

I don’t know if the Chromebooks run Teams at all, which at present is needed by many users. so if you can/could switch from Microsoft to Google docs, then your Chromebook ought to work well.......
Well, yeah? That's pretty much what they are, look at the price.
Should have read some reviews first :biggrin:
It's widely known in the tech community that chromebooks are generally **** :smile:
Original post by LuigiMario
What are the specifications of your Chromebook?
Typically they have 2GB or 4GB RAM and a small hard-disk, 16GB or 32GB. (eMMC/mSATA or M.2)
Which CPU, hopefully at least a small 4-core something?

I have about 7 at home, Asus & Acer models, they mostly lasted about 3 years.
(I have succeeded in running a simple Ubuntu Linux directly on Chrome hardware, but for reliability you should stick with stock installation) I usually add a tiny USB drive, 64GB to use of the ports, gives you more space for movies or music, or as a local document backup for when there’s no Wi-Fi

Their Wi-Fi cloud function, combined with Google Office apps, give you a very reliable laptop that performs simple tasks well. They typically have a single file structure - just a Downloads folder.

They aren’t designed to run MS office apps, but work really well with Google documents for most school/pre-university students. They are updated every time you power them on, they are almost completely immune from viruses & malware, light, good battery life, cheap, etc

For uni, you definitely need either a Macbook or a more powerful PC than a Chromebook, (also it’s good to eventually limit your digital footprint exposure to Google, who used to claim that they “do no evil”) whilst at uni, I’d avoid google docs - other than they very reliably give you the cloud backup. Microsoft occasionally lose cloud servers, and have lost user data. Apple charge a lot, eventually for iCloud.

I don’t know if the Chromebooks run Teams at all, which at present is needed by many users. so if you can/could switch from Microsoft to Google docs, then your Chromebook ought to work well.......

Chrome book does run teams, and cus I’m doing my coursework on PowerPoint I wouldn’t be able to switch, I’ll see what Currys say about my return
Original post by StriderHort
Well, yeah? That's pretty much what they are, look at the price.

Well no cus cheaper laptops run windows lmao which would be the ideal software for me
Original post by MrSandyWilly
Should have read some reviews first :biggrin:
It's widely known in the tech community that chromebooks are generally **** :smile:

**** the tech community :biggrin:
Original post by hustlr

Would you trust my humble opinion? :biggrin: :wink:
Original post by hustlr
Well no cus cheaper laptops run windows lmao which would be the ideal software for me

I more mean for that price point I'd be damn sure to read what I was buying and what it did VS what it claimed.

(see also ; Amazon Fire)
Original post by hustlr

Trust me, they're naff.
I'm no member of the tech community but I'm using a chromebook right now and would give at least two fingers for something more substantial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending