The Student Room Group

Do you think medicine is basically dominated by middle class people?

It is so difficult to get an offer you have to have top academic qualifications therefore have to go to quite a good school. You also have to have a good persona statement etc. Even graduate-entry you have to have a degree most people who go to university are still middle class.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
It is so difficult to get an offer you have to have top academic qualifications therefore have to go to quite a good school. You also have to have a good persona statement etc. Even graduate-entry you have to have a degree most people who go to university are still middle class.

Yes, deffo.
Statistically it literally is, yes. But as said, things are being done to try to change that, thankfully!
Original post by becausethenight
Statistically it literally is, yes. But as said, things are being done to try to change that, thankfully!

My uncle when to Cambridge in 1970s he grow up in a council house single father in an ex mining town. When his son applied to medical school his father my uncle now middle class have to pay for him and he had to get better grades than a working class student from his father background.

He was punished for his father hard work.
(edited 3 years ago)

You don't have to go to a good school to get As.
My uncle when to Cambridge from council house 1970s in the North East his now middle class son when to medical school.
Yeah, it's pretty middle-class dominated.

To be honest, in my opinion, under-representation of the working-class isn't something that is talked about that much. Which is a shame.
Original post by looloo2134
My uncle when to Cambridge in 1970s he grow up in a council house single father in an ex mining town. When his son applied to medical school his father my uncle now middle class have to pay for him and he had to get better grades than a working class student from his father background.

He was punished for his father hard work.

Er, ok? Not sure how ‘not getting the support available to disadvantaged students when you’re not disadvantaged’ is a punishment?
Reply 8
If you become a doctor then you become middle class, so yes, medicine is dominated by the middle class.
Original post by becausethenight
Er, ok? Not sure how ‘not getting the support available to disadvantaged students when you’re not disadvantaged’ is a punishment?

If his father has not worked hard at school and grow up disadvantaged he would not have needed to get the same grades.
Original post by looloo2134
If his father has not worked hard at school and grow up disadvantaged he would not have needed to get the same grades.

Right. Because he'd have been disadvantaged and needed the schools to level the playing field for him.
This is a bit like saying "if I were poor, the state would give me benefits, so I'm being punished for not being poor by not being given benefits" - you're not being punished, you just don't need help.
I'm strongly in favour of abolishing the A-level and replacing with a universal entrance examination that anyone can take. However you'd likely see a similar class make-up. People with more resources tend to have an easier time.
Original post by Compost
If you become a doctor then you become middle class, so yes, medicine is dominated by the middle class.

I obv mean before the person becomes a doctor ie their parents are doctor architects rather than carpet fitter or a boiler repair man.
Most people at university were doctors or dentists because their parents were also I was amazed by how many of them went to private school.
I obv mean before the person becomes a doctor ie their parents are doctor architects rather than carpet fitter or a boiler repair man.

many lucrative professions such as soccer player are dominated by people from the lowest reaches of society.
why is there no big hoo-ha about that ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
many lucrative professions such as soccer player are dominated by people from the lowest reaches of society.
why is there no big hoo-ha about that ?

:holmes:

because obv that is not something where you need qualifications and an education you can play football in the street. People who go to a bad state school are held back by the school not by their ability.
because obv that is not something where you need qualifications and an education you can play football in the street. People who go to a bad state school are held back by the school not by their ability.

also pop star... most of them have about 1 gcse

smh
Original post by the bear
also pop star... most of them have about 1 gcse

smh

and realtity tv "stars" - the list of those A level dodgers goes on :mad:
I doubt if medicine is alone in this. Acting comes to mind, for example.
Reply 19

And what is your proposed solution to this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending