The Student Room Group

Official UCL Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miyav
I have an offer from QMUL information technology, however waiting impatiently for UCL computer science. There has been a server problem for days. I am really worried and anxious about the result. Btw, this is my second rejection from the ICL. They even do not state any reason for rejection. it is not fair when you charge application fee

Imperial? I hope UCL is lenient, what do you think? Why do you think you got rejected from ICL what's your profile like?
Do you think UCL postgrad applicants have begun to hear back?
Original post by riddhi.l
Do you think UCL postgrad applicants have begun to hear back?

not that I know off, I hope I hear back by Jan 22nd, that's the deadline for me to accept QMUL
Reply 63
Original post by Krishna235
Imperial? I hope UCL is lenient, what do you think? Why do you think you got rejected from ICL what's your profile like?

I am applying from Turkey, graduate from Political Science and International Relations. My GPA is 3.77/4 and I have 7.5 overall IELTS score. I am dying for the computer science conversion programmes that's why I applied to ICL. Last year they rejected me saying that "although your application meets our minimum academic entry requirements, competition for places on your chosen programme is extremely high so we have been unable to offer you a place." This year they even did not provide any further explanation just mentioned about being sorry to reject. I don't think it is fair and they have to make an explanation.
Original post by Miyav
I am applying from Turkey, graduate from Political Science and International Relations. My GPA is 3.77/4 and I have 7.5 overall IELTS score. I am dying for the computer science conversion programmes that's why I applied to ICL. Last year they rejected me saying that "although your application meets our minimum academic entry requirements, competition for places on your chosen programme is extremely high so we have been unable to offer you a place." This year they even did not provide any further explanation just mentioned about being sorry to reject. I don't think it is fair and they have to make an explanation.

I'm so sorry to hear that, they've been so unfair this year literally rejected so many, maybe they know a lot of internal students will be applying to masters too so want to make space etc. Did you apply to UCL last year too?
Reply 65
I'm so sorry to hear that, they've been so unfair this year literally rejected so many, maybe they know a lot of internal students will be applying to masters too so want to make space etc. Did you apply to UCL last year too?

Nope. first time to apply to UCL. Last year I only applied to ICL. This year QMUL (offered a place), UCL, ICL, Bristol and Birkbeck. All computer science conversion programmes. I'm really getting worried about the UCL results. I hope they will be more inclusive for the international applications.
My course usually has an interview so I'm hoping to hear back soon!
Reply 67
Original post by eshgoel
Oh alright, may I ask which course you're applying for? since some other people I asked were asked to provide 2 references, so I'm assuming it's course dependent...

Im applying for the Psychology of Education MSc but the course information hasn't been published on the site yet even though applications opened earlier this month. I'm just guessing from last year's application it'll be a similar application process and two referees are required but I may be wrong, shall wait and see. Then again getting a little worried since its already December and I cant write my personal statement/ written task without knowing what the question is or if there are any changes to the course.

One other question to everyone: does UCL immediately send a reference request to referees once you enter their details or only once you submit and pay for the application? From other uni applications Ive done the unis emailed my referees once I filled up the reference page even before Ive completed other sections or paid.
Original post by wesgwl
Im applying for the Psychology of Education MSc but the course information hasn't been published on the site yet even though applications opened earlier this month. I'm just guessing from last year's application it'll be a similar application process and two referees are required but I may be wrong, shall wait and see. Then again getting a little worried since its already December and I cant write my personal statement/ written task without knowing what the question is or if there are any changes to the course.

One other question to everyone: does UCL immediately send a reference request to referees once you enter their details or only once you submit and pay for the application? From other uni applications Ive done the unis emailed my referees once I filled up the reference page even before Ive completed other sections or paid.

Hey, no they only sent out the email once you've submitted and paid for your application, at the moment the portico is still down as well :smile:
Hi everyone,

I am a current postgrad student at UCL and applied during the last admissions cycle. It might be different this year and hopefully it is, but admissions decisions took months (for some I believe it was up to 4 or 5) this past cycle and some people did not end up joining my class until October, weeks after it began. I am hoping this won't be the case next year, and doubt it'd be so severe, but I would caution against expecting to receive a decision within 6 weeks if you've recently applied as the university continues to grapple with COVID-related issues. Of course it could be department-dependent, but I am a part of a small class (20 people) who applied in July and didn't hear back for almost 3 months. Best of luck to you all and I hope you hear back very soon!
Original post by lemonpoppy123
Hi everyone,

I am a current postgrad student at UCL and applied during the last admissions cycle. It might be different this year and hopefully it is, but admissions decisions took months (for some I believe it was up to 4 or 5) this past cycle and some people did not end up joining my class until October, weeks after it began. I am hoping this won't be the case next year, and doubt it'd be so severe, but I would caution against expecting to receive a decision within 6 weeks if you've recently applied as the university continues to grapple with COVID-related issues. Of course it could be department-dependent, but I am a part of a small class (20 people) who applied in July and didn't hear back for almost 3 months. Best of luck to you all and I hope you hear back very soon!

Hi, thanks so much for your insight! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them:
1) Would you recommend applying after Christmas at this point considering the uni is dealing with COVID-related issues? The deadline for the course I'm applying to is late February so not sure if this would make sense or not.
2) What do you feel UCL values the most in an application?
seems like Portico is up and running now
Original post by jamesli322
seems like Portico is up and running now

yeah but no decision yet
yeah but no decision yet

So we have to wait at least until tomorrow for any updates i guess...
Reply 74
i am really anxious about the decision. still no update. do you know if I can find any former year statistics about the number of applications, acceptance rate etc? especially for the computer science
Original post by Miyav
i am really anxious about the decision. still no update. do you know if I can find any former year statistics about the number of applications, acceptance rate etc? especially for the computer science

for MSc Computer Science 25% offer rate (1in4) las year 603 applications and 149 offers were made :smile:
Reply 76
for MSc Computer Science 25% offer rate (1in4) las year 603 applications and 149 offers were made :smile:

wow! feeling devastated already. i think there is no chance for me 😔
Original post by Miyav

you can check here: https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london/msc-computer-science

It seems that they received 603 applications for the academic year 20/21 and they sent out only 149 offers. Amongst the offers, only 56 students accepted their offers (most of them didn't meet the conditions on the offers i guess, thats why it is so low in numbers). I can see that in comparison with other MSCs, computer science is very difficult to be admitted. 1 out of 4 received offers (25%) and only about 15% were admitted. For example, in MSc Security studies (i've applied for this) the offer rate was about 75%, they received 177 applications and they sent out 135 offers. However only 85 were admitted
Original post by gvgvgvgvgv
you can check here: https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london/msc-computer-science

It seems that they received 603 applications for the academic year 20/21 and they sent out only 149 offers. Amongst the offers, only 56 students accepted their offers (most of them didn't meet the conditions on the offers i guess, thats why it is so low in numbers). I can see that in comparison with other MSCs, computer science is very difficult to be admitted. 1 out of 4 received offers (25%) and only about 15% were admitted. For example, in MSc Security studies (i've applied for this) the offer rate was about 75%, they received 177 applications and they sent out 135 offers. However only 85 were admitted

I've applied for MSc Health Data Science which as about a 40% offer rate, so feeling really anxious too.
Reply 79
Original post by gvgvgvgvgv

i am literally shocked!!! i should be waiting for the birkbeck or bristol to return. ty for the answer.

Quick Reply