The Student Room Group

Differentiation Help

Where do I even start? And someone show me the steps to do this please? Thanks in advanceScreenshot 2020-11-30 203105.png

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tee.Q
Where do I even start? And someone show me the steps to do this please? Thanks in advanceScreenshot 2020-11-30 203105.png

Surely you can make a start? They have given you a function I so the first step is to differentiate it (and then a second time) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Surely you can make a start? They have given you a function I so the first step is to differentiate it (and then a second time) :smile:

Someone sent me the solution but I just don't know how they got there.
Reply 3
Original post by Tee.Q
Someone sent me the solution but I just don't know how they got there.

OK, but can you make a start on the differentiation? What do you get for dI/dt?
Reply 4
Original post by davros

I'll try my best to get dI/dt :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by davros

I feel like I'm doing something wrong :frown:20201130_205656-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Reply 6
Original post by Tee.Q
I feel like I'm doing something wrong :frown:20201130_205656-compressed.jpg.jpeg

You need to use the product rule
Reply 7
Original post by Tee.Q

Unfortunately you are!

You have a product of 2 functions so you need to use the product rule to differentiate - does this ring any bells? Also you've brought out a 't' factor when I would expect either an 'a' or a 'w' :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by B_9710
You need to use the product rule

My bad. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by davros
Unfortunately you are!

You have a product of 2 functions so you need to use the product rule to differentiate - does this ring any bells? Also you've brought out a 't' factor when I would expect either an 'a' or a 'w' :smile:

ohhhh okay i will take out w when i differentiate it
Reply 10
Original post by Tee.Q
ohhhh okay i will take out w when i differentiate it

20201130_211402-compressed.jpg.jpeg Am I on the right track?
Reply 11
ohhh you meant the a in -at to be taken out
Reply 12
Original post by Tee.Q
20201130_211402-compressed.jpg.jpeg Am I on the right track?

Look at that first term again. What do you go when you differentiate eat e^{-at} ?
Reply 13
Original post by B_9710
Look at that first term again. What do you go when you differentiate eat e^{-at} ?

Do you get aeat -ae^{-at} ?
Reply 14
Original post by Tee.Q
Do you get aeat -ae^{-at} ?

That's right :smile:

Are you out of practice on these ? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by davros

🤣🤣 I was fairly decent at these before quarantine but im forgetting a lot of stuff now. I will try getting the second derivative on my own but I don't know what it means when it says "show I(t) is a solution of of equation 1". And thank you guys for having patience with me. You're truly amazing :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by davros

20201201_020825-compressed.jpg.jpeg I've now done the second derivative. What does it mean when it says "show that I(t) is a solution of equation 1"?
Reply 17
Original post by Tee.Q
I've now done the second derivative. What does it mean when it says "show that I(t) is a solution of equation 1"?

I haven't checked your derivatives. but it basically means that if you plug your expressions for d^2I/dt^2, dI/dt and I into the left hand side of equation (1) then you should find that things magically cancel out and you get 0 as the result :smile:
is this A level maths ?
Reply 19
Original post by existentialdered
is this A level maths ?

nope

Quick Reply

Latest