The Student Room Group

Refusing jobs on UC?

Hi!

So, I signed up to UC a couple of weeks ago. On my first meeting with my work coach she gave me information for a job that suits my skills and told me to apply, I applied for this and I didn't hear back. On my second meeting she gave me a list of jobs and she asked me if I would be interested in any, I asked for the details of three.

After going over them (I realised they were all with the same company, different positions) I decided to apply for the one I was suited to the most. I got offered an interview today. I began to research the company more, realised that it would take me 2 hours to get there, it's 20 hours, and it's in a really rough area. The building is placed in a dead end, with buildings that have graffiti all over and smashed windows.

I'm really not comfortable doing this and I don't want to force myself to be in a different town. I already struggle with my anxiety, and had a panic attack about this today. Will they know if I don't go? Can I just say I applied? I haven't replied to the company offering me an interview yet. I checked my commitments and the last thing she asked me to apply for came under voluntary, I am just super anxious about my next meeting now.

I have a job interview tomorrow, I found this myself and it matches all my skills and experience relevant to my degree. Praying I get it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sarah.911
Hi!

So, I signed up to UC a couple of weeks ago. On my first meeting with my work coach she gave me information for a job that suits my skills and told me to apply, I applied for this and I didn't hear back. On my second meeting she gave me a list of jobs and she asked me if I would be interested in any, I asked for the details of three.

After going over them (I realised they were all with the same company, different positions) I decided to apply for the one I was suited to the most. I got offered an interview today. I began to research the company more, realised that it would take me 2 hours to get there, it's 20 hours, and it's in a really rough area. The building is placed in a dead end, with buildings that have graffiti all over and smashed windows.

I'm really not comfortable doing this and I don't want to force myself to be in a different town. I already struggle with my anxiety, and had a panic attack about this today. Will they know if I don't go? Can I just say I applied? I haven't replied to the company offering me an interview yet. I checked my commitments and the last thing she asked me to apply for came under voluntary, I am just super anxious about my next meeting now.

I have a job interview tomorrow, I found this myself and it matches all my skills and experience relevant to my degree. Praying I get it.

You need a plausible narrative. How far have you agreed to travel each day?
2hrs seems too much I believe the limit is 90 minutes and you could argue even less with covid.
Just put on your journal about this interview you have and every stage to big it up. Application, prep for interview, travel to interview i.e every stage can be an entry.

If you have anxiety diagnosed, then tell the work coach. If it is 2hrs then you can also use cost of travel as a reason, but I think 90mins is the limit anyway, so maybe just say cost and impractical for 20hrs and you will look closer to home. Only mention if it she brings it up and even then say you looked into it, but... and youve applied to x places closer to home.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You need a plausible narrative. How far have you agreed to travel each day?
2hrs seems too much I believe the limit is 90 minutes and you could argue even less with covid.
Just put on your journal about this interview you have and every stage to big it up. Application, prep for interview, travel to interview i.e every stage can be an entry.

If you have anxiety diagnosed, then tell the work coach. If it is 2hrs then you can also use cost of travel as a reason, but I think 90mins is the limit anyway, so maybe just say cost and impractical for 20hrs and you will look closer to home. Only mention if it she brings it up and even then say you looked into it, but... and youve applied to x places closer to home.

It's 2 hours as it's 3 different buses. I'm hoping to just say I applied for it then mention my interview and basically big that up instead. I haven't mentioned my anxiety to her, I am on meds, I just don't want to look like I'm making excuses. I've only been on here for a couple of weeks and it's already made me so stressed and anxious. I've been tempted to sign off but feel that would be a silly thing to do just yet.
It's 2 hours as it's 3 different buses. I'm hoping to just say I applied for it then mention my interview and basically big that up instead. I haven't mentioned my anxiety to her, I am on meds, I just don't want to look like I'm making excuses. I've only been on here for a couple of weeks and it's already made me so stressed and anxious. I've been tempted to sign off but feel that would be a silly thing to do .

Dont sign off.
Are you actually being seen in person ? I thought CV19 meant all online?
Just chill and note jobs you can apply for, unlikely they would chase up as they dont have time.
Reply 4
Dont sign off.
Are you actually being seen in person ? I thought CV19 meant all online?
Just chill and note jobs you can apply for, unlikely they would chase up as they dont have time.

No, all online, and not over the telephone thankfully as I hate phone calls.
Thank you I just stress and over-analyse alot but yes you're right :smile:
No, all online, and not over the telephone thankfully as I hate phone calls.
Thank you I just stress and over-analyse alot but yes you're right :smile:

Just be vague and put up lots of jobs you supposedly applied for or were looking into. Its you thats stressing, when all you need is to do something every day for your journal and stick to your agreement. You would be foolish to turn down the money without any other source. They are very busy at the moment due to cv19 and being overwhelmed. Be like that fill at least Easter imo.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Just be vague and put up lots of jobs you supposedly applied for or were looking into. Its you thats stressing, when all you need is to do something every day for your journal and stick to your agreement. You would be foolish to turn down the money without any other source. They are very busy at the moment due to cv19 and being overwhelmed. Be like that fill at least Easter imo.

I have been applying for everything I can do and updating my job applications. I don't even know what I'm stressing over lol I just can't stop once I work myself up. Thank you for your advice I will definitely stick to it!
Sorry slightly off topic, but how long after your meeting with your work coach do you get your first payment?
Original post by Super199
Sorry slightly off topic, but how long after your meeting with your work coach do you get your first payment?

Took five weeks from applying to getting first payment, that was before I spoke to my JC on phone for first time.
It's 2 hours as it's 3 different buses. I'm hoping to just say I applied for it then mention my interview and basically big that up instead. I haven't mentioned my anxiety to her, I am on meds, I just don't want to look like I'm making excuses. I've only been on here for a couple of weeks and it's already made me so stressed and anxious. I've been tempted to sign off but feel that would be a silly thing to do just yet.

I have that problem too with transport, its too far and risky with transport connections. 2 hours each way is long time out your day, what kind of job is it?
Reply 10
Original post by route255
I have that problem too with transport, its too far and risky with transport connections. 2 hours each way is long time out your day, what kind of job is it?

It's just an office job but I felt it would've been perfect for my anxiety as it requires mostly admin :frown:
My interview today is related to my degree :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Super199

It takes a while. I haven't been paid yet but you can apply for an advance
It's just an office job but I felt it would've been perfect for my anxiety as it requires mostly admin :frown:
My interview today is related to my degree :smile:

Good luck! Same here graduate looking for job.

I agree
Reply 14
Original post by route255
Good luck! Same here graduate looking for job.

I got it! :smile: all the best to you aswell
I got it! :smile: all the best to you aswell

Congrats! Thanks, still looking, gonna be mostly the speculative apps route!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending