The Student Room Group

How to stop a panic attack or control it?

Just had a panic attack yesterday, and have been feeling anxious ever since.

Besides the obvious therapy etc, anyone have any ways they can control their panic attack at the start before it becomes a full blown panic attack?

Any coping mechanisms, anything at all?

I used to have ways to control it but its been a while and I cannot remember my ways.

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your help. Some of these things work for my panic attacks, some don't. I somehow grew out of them before years back, hope this happens again and this time they disappear for good.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nope. nothing works for me - but meds. you should consider speaking to a doctor.
The best thing for me is fast movements. I shake my hands and bounce my legs. I don't know if this would help you at all, but thag's what I do. Good luck! :smile:
When I used to get them, changing my environment seemed to help massively, but that could jsut be me. I would usually try and go for a walk or failing that take a shower just so my surroundings had changed. It helped a fair amount sometimes for me :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
nope. nothing works for me - but meds. you should consider speaking to a doctor.

You have panic attacks also?
May I ask what sort of things you have tried and then realised these things do not work for you? Maybe I could try them.
I really want to avoid going on meds for panic attacks tbh.
Thank you.

What would happen if I spoke to a doctor? This would surely go in my records and I really don't want that.

Original post by ItsStarLordMan
The best thing for me is fast movements. I shake my hands and bounce my legs. I don't know if this would help you at all, but thag's what I do. Good luck! :smile:

Oddly what I have been doing is pacing the room fast and that stops me thinking. I'm not sure how well it will work when it comes to panicking yet but this is worth a try. Thank you. I'd rather shake my hands and bounce my legs than walk.

Original post by Evil Homer
When I used to get them, changing my environment seemed to help massively, but that could jsut be me. I would usually try and go for a walk or failing that take a shower just so my surroundings had changed. It helped a fair amount sometimes for me :smile:

I guess I am scared of going outside and having a panic attack there instead of inside my house. Otherwise walking and change of environment sounds like a good idea.
Hmm, instead of a shower I'll try splashing water on my face and if that seems to not be working, I could always hop into the shower.

How did you stop getting them?
Thank you.
I haven’t experienced panic attacks, but I have bad social anxiety. Are there any particular triggers or is it random?
Yeah movement is meant to help. You could also get someone to talk to you if you're comfortable with asking someone to do that. One time I was having one and I went and asked my support teacher to just talk at me for five minutes and just ramble on until I felt better
Reply 7
yeah but mine are a bit more complex than regular panic attacks (ptsd related). i feel like i've tried it all, focusing on your breathing, the whole mindfullness crap, distraction techniques. they just don't do **** for me. tried therapy but never made it past 1st session. i mean, so what if it goes on your record? as long as you're not planning to join the army forces, you're good. no other employer cares. most don't even check your med records
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t experienced panic attacks, but I have bad social anxiety. Are there any particular triggers or is it random?

There are particular triggers, things to do with my past but they need to be allowed as I need to get past some things. Just want to avoid having a full blown panic attack.

How do you deal with social anxiety?

Yeah movement is meant to help. You could also get someone to talk to you if you're comfortable with asking someone to do that. One time I was having one and I went and asked my support teacher to just talk at me for five minutes and just ramble on until I felt better

I didn't really know that.
Talking about the issue making you panic or about other stuff?

Original post by Ciel.
yeah but mine are a bit more complex than regular panic attacks (ptsd related). i feel like i've tried it all, focusing on your breathing, the whole mindfullness crap, distraction techniques. they just don't do **** for me. tried therapy but never made it past 1st session. i mean, so what if it goes on your record? as long as you're not planning to join the army forces, you're good. no other employer cares. most don't even check your med records

Ah I see. If its ptsd related, is that worse?
What type of distraction techniques?

I don't get panic attacks a lot. I just want to learn to control them when I do without the use of meds. Doctors will only give meds, or advice. I can get that advice here tbh. I have an issue with meds, and for me its only as a last resort. Which does seem like what you did. I would like to try everything I can first.
Reply 9
in my opinion, at least. because all sorts of other issues come into play.
by distraction techniques i mean trying to 'snap out' of it as soon as you start noticing the symptoms. e.g you could start playing a game on your phone, or use one of those relaxing drawing phone apps, or even simpler things - start counting from 100 backwards, or start doing simple math calculations in your head.
I find the '54321' method helps me sometimes
just linked an article with the 'method'

https://amindfulemergence.com/5-4-3-2-1-method-to-reduce-anxiety/
Well talking about what's causing it is a really good idea, but actually during a panic attack, just get someone to just keep talking to you. But only if you've got someone to ask to just ramble at you and you don't have to reply until you feel a bit better
Original post by Ciel.
in my opinion, at least. because all sorts of other issues come into play.
by distraction techniques i mean trying to 'snap out' of it as soon as you start noticing the symptoms. e.g you could start playing a game on your phone, or use one of those relaxing drawing phone apps, or even simpler things - start counting from 100 backwards, or start doing simple math calculations in your head.

Okay, distractions in any way or form. This sounds like something I can try and should work for the short term hopefully. Thanks ciel, and I hope things are going decently for you.
Original post by bambi1425
I find the '54321' method helps me sometimes
just linked an article with the 'method'

https://amindfulemergence.com/5-4-3-2-1-method-to-reduce-anxiety/

Ahhh this is one of the things I used to do, thanks :smile:
Idk if it will still have the same effect but worth a try.
Well talking about what's causing it is a really good idea, but actually during a panic attack, just get someone to just keep talking to you. But only if you've got someone to ask to just ramble at you and you don't have to reply until you feel a bit better

Yh maybe not a good idea to talk about it whilst I am about to have a panic attack lol but to prevent it this would work.

Ah I see, so it's more of a distraction and something to focus on rather than what is causing you to panic. Thanks again :smile:
Unfortunately I don't have a secret answer for you! I think I grew out of them as weird as that is to say, I don't know the science behind it but I think being male and of a certain age your brain still goes through some quite dramatic changes. I know lots of my friends were also struggling with various different issues at that age also. I got better at panicking less when I did have them, and just slowly it started to fade.
Original post by Evil Homer
Unfortunately I don't have a secret answer for you! I think I grew out of them as weird as that is to say, I don't know the science behind it but I think being male and of a certain age your brain still goes through some quite dramatic changes, I know lots of my friends were also struggling with various different issues at that age also. I got better at panicking less when I did have them, and just slowly it started to fade.

There's never an easy secret way :lol:
No definitely not :lol: but when you're not having a panic attack, it might be a gokd suggestion to talk to someone close to you that you can trust and who might be able to help you. Of course, that's only if you're comfortable doing that

But yeah, it's a really gokd distraction. Find someone who can just ramble and make you feel better when you talk to them. My support teacher just makes jokes and tells me about his weekend and stuff and i just sit there and listen until I can talk.

Hopefully this helps you. I hope you're ok. You can always PM me if you want to talk about anything, even for just a normal chat :smile: :smile:
No definitely not :lol: but when you're not having a panic attack, it might be a gokd suggestion to talk to someone close to you that you can trust and who might be able to help you. Of course, that's only if you're comfortable doing that

But yeah, it's a really gokd distraction. Find someone who can just ramble and make you feel better when you talk to them. My support teacher just makes jokes and tells me about his weekend and stuff and i just sit there and listen until I can talk.

Hopefully this helps you. I hope you're ok. You can always PM me if you want to talk about anything, even for just a normal chat :smile: :smile:

Thank you . I find it hard to talk so I will see about it.
Thanks for the offer :smile:
That's ok. Good luck! :smile:
That's ok. Good luck! :smile:

Do you get panic attacks often?
Very rarely, but I have anxiety mixed with other things. Do you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending